• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Level matching speakers for comparative assessement?

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Show me a good phase alignment at the listening position, and I'll show you mine.

Preferably a two-speaker (stereo) measurement.

OP
Blumlein 88

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Show me a good phase alignment at the listening position, and I'll show you mine.

Preferably a two-speaker (stereo) measurement.

I was just yanking your chain a bit and making fun of Harman's dissing of your brand.
I have been very impressed with the results you have gotten. It also caused me to suggest to a friend who wanted to get some subs for a spare video system to give the Daytons a try. You have a 45 day return window if not happy They have worked out very nicely. Excellent bargain considering how inexpensive they are and how well they work.

Fitzcaraldo215

Major Contributor
Integration of bass driver to panels has long been an Achilles' heel. The sound might have been much improved had they EQ'd and gotten the phase alignment right between panel and woofer (unless phasing was OK and it was just EQ?)

Agreed. My Prodigy 'stat panel hybrids were deemed deficient on that integration score. My earlier ML CLS full range panels certainly did not integrate well with my older subs, leading to a mid/upper bass suckout between the CLS lower limits and the sub upper limits. I did feel that the Prodigy hybrid was a definite upgrade over the CLS plus sub. The suckout became a non-issue, and I heard no other downsides, only upsides.

Ray's measured results with older ML hybrids are certainly impressive, however.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Ray's in class by himself. I have had impulse responses that good in the past but nowhere near it now, just haven't had time to tweak to that extent.

IME ML has been hit and miss on integration. In the late 1990's and early 2000's the few times I heard them they sounded like they had some serious issues. Heard a pair or two once or twice since and they seem better. You really need fine control of phase and frequency to successfully integrate the woofer (and/or subwoofer) with panels, and I have always found the change from the panel to conventional driver's dispersion caused an audible discontinuity if not carefully handled. One reason I am thinking Sanders instead of ML if I try ESL's again is his lower crossover point and thus easier integration with the woofer. Plus he already ships it with a DSP.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Mine are 1998 model, 48" x 15" panel, 12" sealed woofer, 180Hz cross.

I run the speakers full range.

It hasn't been optimized lately, but here's today's quick measurement. Red is L/R subs only, Green is L/R subs + L/R speakers:

upload_2017-3-17_18-50-17.png

Phase anomaly at 48Hz in the room that doesn't get corrected when L and R play together. Red subs, green subs+ speakers:

upload_2017-3-17_18-51-41.png

Something different with the low phase today, there are some cardboard file boxes (tax time) in the room on the floor.

upload_2017-3-17_18-57-43.png

My cone speakers won't throw a flat phase like that across the room. I blame WDD*.

*Wide Dispersion Disorder

Top Bottom