• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KRK Classic 5 - adaptor

Mikki

Hello
Just purchased a pair of krk classic 5 (pair)
From the USA and since I’m living in EU the volt difference is 110 to 220 (100watts each)
Was wondering which adaptor I should get to avoid monitors being blown
Was suggested to go for 200w for each so as to handle the overload (am a producer and work for hours on sound design)
Would appreciate if you could suggest any adaptor brand that I could order online
Thanks

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
To be frank, you done goofed. You are now going to need a step-down transformer (nothing super big, 300-500 VA would seem plenty; expect 50-60€ and best checking the build quality / having it checked as it can be quite dodgy), and even then running 60 Hz mains transformers in 50 Hz territory is potentially problematic as they are being pushed closer to satuation... and I can't imagine those in budget monitors like these would be overly generously sized to begin with.

Instead of throwing good money after bad, I would suggest sending these back and purchasing a set of RP5 G4s from an EU-based dealer (Thomann or whatever). (It'll be a slightly expensive lesson either way, so you might as well get speakers out of it.) Ironically, those you could have bought in the US, they have a wide range switch-mode power supply and can operate worldwide. I still don't see why though, the savings couldn't be that great, or could they?

Top Bottom