• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Klipsch Forte IV vs Martin Logan ESL-X

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Klipsch Forte IV:
CEA2034.jpg

from https://www.erinsaudiocorner.com/loudspeakers/klipsch_forte_iv/

vs
MartinLogan Vista:
CEA2034.jpg

from https://speakerdata2034.blogspot.com/2020/04/various-brands-spinorama-data-from.html

or

MartinLogan Prodigy:
CEA2034.jpg

from https://speakerdata2034.blogspot.com/2020/04/various-brands-spinorama-data-from.html

I hope you're not choosing these for their sound accuracy. :facepalm:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Why did you narrow it to these two? One is inefficient and the other is rather efficient. Both likely have some issues (still might be rather satisfying depending upon things). It seems an odd pair to choose between.

A Revel M106 and some sub-woofers probably is better and cheaper. Revel F206 is likely better alone. If you speak with some motivated Revel dealers an F208 pair is in your price range. Or KEF R3 and some sub-woofers.

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Have you seen my “passive speaker recommendation” thread?

Klipsch and MartinLogan are not recommended simply because these companies aren’t making accurate speakers.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

...well, there is this...I posted them on another thread like this...they were disparaged...
Yes, I saw your other thread, and posted within it.

Don't know what this is worth. I have F208's and quite like them. I also have Soundlab ESLs, and most of my life listened to various panel ESL's. The F208's aren't like ESLs, but they are quite good without bad things that many box speakers have to irritate the listener.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

OP
Hapo

Hapo

Have you seen my “passive speaker recommendation” thread?

Klipsch and MartinLogan are not recommended simply because these companies aren’t making accurate speakers.

...no...

Brian6751

FWIW I have owned the Forte 3’s and Revel 206’s and have had the Martin Logan XT F200’s for only a few days now and I would take the ML’s over the other two in a heartbeat. It’s not even close. I wouldn’t make assumptions for the new XT line based on past speaker measurements

Here are some in room measurements of the F200's from Anthem ARC. This isn't from REW so it's an averaged smoothed response. Top Red is the unEQ'ed response. Bottom Green is predicted with EQ applied

Screenshot 2023-04-08 at 6.43.53 PM.png

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
FWIW I have owned the Forte 3’s and Revel 206’s and have had the Martin Logan XT F200’s for only a few days now and I would take the ML’s over the other two in a heartbeat. It’s not even close. I wouldn’t make assumptions for the new XT line based on past speaker measurements

Here are some in room measurements of the F200's from Anthem ARC. This isn't from REW so it's an averaged smoothed response. Top Red is the unEQ'ed response. Bottom Green is predicted with EQ applied

View attachment 278014
Looks like on its own it is a bright sounding speaker. Otherwise it doesn't look too bad in your measurement. I agree about assuming the box speakers from M-L are bad is possibly a mistake. But most box speakers until shown otherwise are pretty poor. Would you take the M-Ls you have over the F206 without being able to EQ?

Brian6751

Looks like on its own it is a bright sounding speaker. Otherwise it doesn't look too bad in your measurement. I agree about assuming the box speakers from M-L are bad is possibly a mistake. But most box speakers until shown otherwise are pretty poor. Would you take the M-Ls you have over the F206 without being able to EQ?

Yes, I personally would take the ML over the F206's without EQ. The ML are just a more capable speaker IMO. Bigger, more power handling, more bass extension; plus I just subjectively like the ML better.

I have the ML's towed in a little so that is effecting the in room response. Im still playing around with spacing and tow in but, as you can see, the in room response is very EQ-able. Even without EQ, they don't seem as bright as the measurement looks. I think my downward tilting EQ makes the raw response look brighter than it is. From 200Hz up, it is actually pretty neutral

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, I personally would take the ML over the F206's without EQ. The ML are just a more capable speaker IMO. Bigger, more power handling, more bass extension; plus I just subjectively like the ML better.

I have the ML's towed in a little so that is effecting the in room response. Im still playing around with spacing and tow in but, as you can see, the in room response is very EQ-able. Even without EQ, they don't seem as bright as the measurement looks. I think my downward tilting EQ makes the raw response look brighter than it is. From 200Hz up, it is actually pretty neutral
I would say that type of measurement is supposed to trend downward. A speaker measured in this manner which is "flat" would be up-titled in an anechoic measurement. It is an artifact of this type of measuring. So I would expect it to be a touch bright. However, without the off-axis curves those may offset a general brightness.

Brian6751

I would say that type of measurement is supposed to trend downward. A speaker measured in this manner which is "flat" would be up-titled in an anechoic measurement. It is an artifact of this type of measuring. So I would expect it to be a touch bright. However, without the off-axis curves those may offset a general brightness.
Here is a more flat curve with the level lifted more in line with the raw measurement. I am also still learning my way around Anthem ARC

Screenshot 2023-04-08 at 7.57.18 PM.png

Top Bottom