• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Klippel distortion tests (two-tone 70hz 800hz tests). Where do you fit, as compared to +8680 participants?

Results

• Total voters
OP
Pdxwayne

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Average at best for me. Same result in two tries: -33 dB. Sony QC 35 II from an iPhone over Bluetooth.

Rick “maybe the subtler distortion products are masked by my tinnitus :)” Denney
Thanks for checking!

I wonder if you would do better if you check using hardwire to a nice dac+amp combo.

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for checking!

I wonder if you would do better if you check using hardwire to a nice dac+amp combo.

Maybe. But I bet not. I have to be at home to do that, though, and I’m traveling this week.

The music examples are execrable—I had tried their test before but couldn’t tolerate the music long enough to get to a conclusion.

Rick “who’d be using K371’s in a JDS Atom amp at home” Denney

OP
Pdxwayne

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Maybe. But I bet not. I have to be at home to do that, though, and I’m traveling this week.

The music examples are execrable—I had tried their test before but couldn’t tolerate the music long enough to get to a conclusion.

Rick “who’d be using K371’s in a JDS Atom amp at home” Denney
Yeah, solderdude and I have the same opinion about the music examples.
: )

D

Deleted member 48726

Just reviving this thread as it was linked to in another one. :)

Laptop with Bluetooth connected Sony WH1000 XM-4 with noise cancellation on (kids watching TV) and low-volume as I hate tone tests.
Two-tone: -39 dB
-First try. Don't like tone tests so I won't do it again.

The very crappy Tracy Chapman test: -33 dB
-Tried two times. Honestly it sounded a bit distorted all the time so it gets hard fast.

tmuikku

Tried the two tone tests, smack dap average performance with both headphones and speakers. Sorry, don't want to listen the chapman tracks :D

It was interesting to test Bl(x), Le(x) and Cms(x). Bl was most audible, at least result got -45db or something, with Le -39db or something like that, bit less annoying sound. Cms(x) I got -15db, by far the least offensive sound of the three. I'm not sure though how the tests were actually balanced and how these are comparable with each other, the Cms test says 0db was "real speaker" while the other two didn't I think.

Anyway, practical takeaway for me is that about >1% speaker distortion is likely audible to me (average person) especially if it's from driver motor, Le(x) or Bl(x), which are 3rd order harmonic mostly. While < 1% distortion is likely not that meaningful, especially if it's mostly from suspension. Cold be simplified that when speaker distortion rises to 1% or more the sound starts to change for average person. Then, a target for nice hifi system performance could be <1% (~-40db 3rd harmonic) with party SPL levels.

MacClintock

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I got -51 dB, on my Mac with an IEM and much luck. The funny thing is, the master of audiophiles, GoldenSound, recently on a video claimed to having reached -75dB. I am not saying that he is lying, but I am pretty sure he is!

Attachments

• Klippel Distortion Listening Test.pdf
    244.7 KB · Views: 17
Top Bottom