• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Jump on F208 deal of stick with Aerial 10T

Th0805

A reputable online dealer currently has BStock F208s +an additional 15% off which puts them at about $2500. A very tempting offer. Is there any reason to think they’re an upgrade over my trust Aerial Acoustic 10Ts? Or would I need to go higher up the chain?

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A reputable online dealer currently has BStock F208s +an additional 15% off which puts them at about $2500. A very tempting offer. Is there any reason to think they’re an upgrade over my trust Aerial Acoustic 10Ts? Or would I need to go higher up the chain?

I owned the 10T's from 1995 to 2011. Basically, they did nothing wrong. The F208 might be better in terms of the smoothness of their directivity, but I sincerely doubt the Revels could either play as loud or as deep as the Aerials. The 10t's were one of the greatest bargains in the history of audio IMHO.

OP
T

Th0805

I owned the 10T's from 1995 to 2011. Basically, they did nothing wrong. The F208 might be better in terms of the smoothness of their directivity, but I sincerely doubt the Revels could either play as loud or as deep as the Aerials. The 10t's were one of the greatest bargains in the history of audio IMHO.
This is what I’m inclined to think. They play down to 20hz at high volume with low distortion. Response is really quite flat. Even the dispersion is pretty good too about 20-30 degrees. I’m not sure how I can improve much without spending a lot more.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is what I’m inclined to think. They play down to 20hz at high volume with low distortion. Response is really quite flat. Even the dispersion is pretty good too about 20-30 degrees. I’m not sure how I can improve much without spending a lot more.
My suggestion would be to add DSP like Dirac, and possibly look into UBacch. Both of those would add value to the 10T's. I still think Michael Kelly's first speaker was his best speaker.

Martini

Forum Donor
The plot on the 10T looks very nice. Perhaps a little jagged in the upper frequency, but none significant enough to be noticed. There is a spike high frequency spike above the threshold of hearing. If all the speaker cone surrounds look good, I wouldn't look to replace them.

OP
T

Th0805

The plot on the 10T looks very nice. Perhaps a little jagged in the upper frequency, but none significant enough to be noticed. There is a spike high frequency spike above the threshold of hearing. If all the speaker cone surrounds look good, I wouldn't look to replace them.
The drivers are all in exceptional shape. When he started Aerial with the 10T Michael Kelly said that one of his objectives when building his speakers were to use “lifetime components”. So from the crossover components and drivers he chose parts that would perform well but have 40 year plus life spans

OP
T

Th0805

My suggestion would be to add DSP like Dirac, and possibly look into UBacch. Both of those would add value to the 10T's. I still think Michael Kelly's first speaker was his best speaker.
I think that’s where I’m at. I’m looking into a minidsp flex. I would like a prettier speaker, but I’m kind of at the point of thinking this could be my lifetime speaker. It would just take a lot to beat it in any significant way. So I may refinish the bass cabinets and order a new pair of Novalith heads from Michael. I live not far from Aerial Acoustics.

As far as the 10T, it’s interesting they’re selling some NOS classic speakers on their website right now. They have some 7Bs and 10Ts. Even with the 7T in current production at $13k Michael is pricing the new 10Ts at $10k, when their highest retail price when discontinued 20 years ago was $7800. That gives an idea of where he thinks the speaker fits in the current market place.

As for it being his best speaker, did you ever get the chance to spend any time with the 20T?

Last edited:

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think that’s where I’m at. I’m looking into a minidsp flex. I would like a prettier speaker, but I’m kind of at the point of thinking this could be my lifetime speaker. It would just take a lot to beat it in any significant way. So I may refinish the bass cabinets and order a new pair of Novalith heads from Michael. I live not far from Aerial Acoustics.

As far as the 10T, it’s interesting they’re selling some NOS classic speakers on their website right now. They have some 7Bs and 10Ts. Even with the 7T in current production at $13k Michael is pricing the new 10Ts at $10k, when their highest retail price when discontinued 20 years ago was $7800. That gives an idea of where he thinks the speaker fits in the current market place.

As for it being his best speaker, did you ever get the chance to spend any time with the 20T?
Not really, but I'm not particularly fond of ribbon tweeters, so I just was not ever interested.

OP
T

Th0805

Not really, but I'm not particularly fond of ribbon tweeters, so I just was not ever interested.
They’re the best speakers I’ve ever heard. I had the chance to spend numbers of hours with them. I’ve heard some of the $200k+ Wilson’s. $80k dynaudios. Focal Grand Utopias. None of them bested the 20T

Michael said the ribbon tweeted was the best tweeter he had ever heard, period. The manufacturer stopped making it and that’s why they discontinued the speaker. And I think trying to find a worthy successor is probably one of the reason he’s been promising a follow up to that speaker for over a decade. He’s probably finding it extraordinarily difficult to better that speaker

Top Bottom