• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is USB classification going to be an issue of mine in this scenario?

finnc

Hi. I've decided to buy a Meizu Hifi dongle for amping my Superlux HD668b, but my phone and tablet does not have Type-C port, so i thought that i should use a Type-C to Micro USB connector to be able to use it. So I've asked this question in Reddit and a user said that I should pay attention to USB classification compatibility. I couldn't take an answer from the user for my last question. I would be very happy if you could look at the pictures I shared and help me on the subject.

And one more question: Will I have any trouble driving my Superlux HD668b with my Meizu Hifi dongle? Do I need a more powerful source?

Thanks in advance!
Screenshot_20230419-050526.png

Screenshot_20230419-052052~2.png

staticV3

Master Contributor
The Meizu HiFi is a USB 2.0 device.
All Micro to Type-C adapters are USB 2.0, so no issues there.

I expect your phone and tablet to be USB 2.0 as well, though I'm not 100% certain if there are Micro USB phones and tablets with only USB 1.1
With one of these, the Meizu HiFi might not work.

The adapter has to be an "OTG" adapter. That signals to the phone to supply the attached USB accessory with power.

Not every Android ROM supports systemwide audio output via USB, so stuff like YouTube and Spotify.
If your ROM doesn't support that, then you will only be able to listen to music via an App like USB Audio Player Pro, Neutron, or HiBy Music.

Lastly, how did you manage to buy a Meizu HiFi?:D
It's been discontinued years ago.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Going to be tough getting audiophile USB connectors :facepalm:

OP
F

finnc

The Meizu HiFi is a USB 2.0 device.
All Micro to Type-C adapters are USB 2.0, so no issues there.

I expect your phone and tablet to be USB 2.0 as well, though I'm not 100% certain if there are Micro USB phones and tablets with only USB 1.1
With one of these, the Meizu HiFi might not work.

The adapter has to be an "OTG" adapter. That signals to the phone to supply the attached USB accessory with power.

Not every Android ROM supports systemwide audio output via USB, so stuff like YouTube and Spotify.
If your ROM doesn't support that, then you will only be able to listen to music via an App like USB Audio Player Pro, Neutron, or HiBy Music.

Lastly, how did you manage to buy a Meizu HiFi?:D
It's been discontinued years ago.
I just learnt that this dongle is gonna be useless for me by your reply. I'm always using spotify. Not going to buy it, --Lastly, how did you manage to buy a Meizu HiFi? --but they're still present on AliExpress tho.
Actually i was gonna buy this dongle because my budget was so low but thanks to grandpa i got a little more money:), now i can make it up to 100$
So what would you me recommend me as a DAC&Amp? (which i wouldn't be dealing with problems like USB classification or incompatibility with stream services!)
My devices are Huawei Mate 10 Lite (not using this for listening though, as it is android 8 and i can't use poweramp eq) & Lenovo TB-X505F. If this information was needed.

Sokel

Master Contributor

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

staticV3

Master Contributor
I just learnt that this dongle is gonna be useless for me by your reply. I'm always using spotify.
it depends on what ROM you're using. Spotify output to a USB dongle works fine on OxygenOS, MIUI, and One UI for example.

--Lastly, how did you manage to buy a Meizu HiFi? --but they're still present on AliExpress tho.
Oooh you mean the mblu HiFi! That's another dongle. The original Meizu HiFi has been discontinued

IMG_20230419_235410.png
So what would you me recommend me as a DAC&Amp? (which i wouldn't be dealing with problems like USB classification or incompatibility with stream services!)
Yeah I think you misunderstood. It's not the dongle that may be incompatible with streaming services. All dongles are compatible.
But some ROMs aren't. If your ROM is incompatible, then no matter what dongle you buy, you won't be able to listen to Spotify.

OP
F

finnc

it depends on what ROM you're using. Spotify output to a USB dongle works fine on OxygenOS, MIUI, and One UI for example.

Oooh you mean the mblu HiFi! That's another dongle. The original Meizu HiFi has been discontinued

View attachment 280310
Yeah I think you misunderstood. It's not the dongle that may be incompatible with streaming services. All dongles are compatible.
But some ROMs aren't. If your ROM is incompatible, then no matter what dongle you buy, you won't be able to listen to Spotify.
yeah, i think my rom is incompatible. is this a problem that i can experience only with dongles? what if i use something like fiio btr3k?

staticV3

Master Contributor
yeah, i think my rom is incompatible. is this a problem that i can experience only with dongles? what if i use something like fiio btr3k?
Some ROMs support systemwide audio output via USB, others don't.
The type of USB DAC doesn't matter.

OP
F

finnc

Some ROMs support systemwide audio output via USB, others don't.
what about desktop ones? won't you also use USB to connect them?

or bluetooth connection of btr3k?

staticV3

Master Contributor
what about desktop ones? won't you also use USB to connect them?

If your ROM supports systemwide audio output via USB, then you can output that to a dongle or to a desktop DAC.

If your ROM doesn't support systemwide audio output via USB, then it won't work no matter if your DAC is a dongle or desktop DAC.

or bluetooth connection of btr3k?
All mainstream ROMs support systemwide audio output via Bluetooth.

OP
F

finnc

If your ROM supports systemwide audio output via USB, then you can output that to a dongle or to a desktop DAC.

If your ROM doesn't support systemwide audio output via USB, then it won't work no matter if your DAC is a dongle or desktop DAC.

All mainstream ROMs support systemwide audio output via Bluetooth.
thanks!

Top Bottom