• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is there an Android-free DAP out there?

ObjectiveSubjectivist

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
It matters a lot from battery on time to proper performance (which is hard to get from DAP). Hiby software ones you can also control from Hiby Music app from smartphone (over BT and for control only). And firstly you try app on mob to see if it fits you as that's what you will get on the DAP.
Chip? How much on time difference is there?

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Chip? How much on time difference is there?
A lot between R3 Pro and R3 Pro Sabre (CS43131 vs ESS new offering). And CS43131 still have class leading EMI rejection rate, what it doesn't have is gimmick MQA (now dead) decoding suport. But as said it won't find one. It doesn't matter as he won't find R3 Pro and R3 doesn't perform good (almost 20 dB SINAD difference).

ObjectiveSubjectivist

Forum Donor
A lot between R3 Pro and R3 Pro Sabre (CS43131 vs ESS new offering). And CS43131 still have class leading EMI rejection rate, what it doesn't have is gimmick MQA (now dead) decoding suport. But as said it won't find one. It doesn't matter as he won't find R3 Pro and R3 doesn't perform good (almost 20 dB SINAD difference).
But there is R3 II, whats wrong with that?

ObjectiveSubjectivist

Forum Donor
Don't know nor following. Show me measurements then I will tell you.
Exactly so I don't see any reason why he cannot buy R3 or R3 pro (second hand) or R3 II.
I'm not sure what exactly your point is.
Anyway I won't discuss it any longer as it seems to be pointless.

moos

There are solutions around that if you Google a bit even for Windows access. Never used it with a DAC as it only has analog out though maybe possible with a 30pin cable adapter. The Burson DAC that was in the iPod Video tested to be pretty transparent back in the day and I only used the iPod for casual listening.
Yes after my post I did go on a search and came across Rockbox and ZeroSlackr

Top Bottom