• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is the Genelec 8331a the best small speaker available? (was: Adam T5V)

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yet another Genelec thread, snooze...

You seem to have quite the bias against genelec ;)

OP, I think they're a very good speaker if you're truly willing to spend the money. I do think the 8030, 8330, KH 120, while not being quite as good, are a better overall value.

I'd also seriously consider the Neumann KH310 if there is any possibility that the speakers could sit behind your desk.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You seem to have quite the bias against genelec ;)

Nope. I just see some around here are a bit too mesmerized with this brand as if there was nothing else available.

OP
S
OP, I think they're a very good speaker if you're truly willing to spend the money. I do think the 8030, 8330, KH 120, while not being quite as good, are a better overall value.

I'd also seriously consider the Neumann KH310 if there is any possibility that the speakers could sit behind your desk.
Thanks. I haven't ruled out Neumann.

Regarding the expense, after a year of being trapped in this room I realized I use speakers more than I use my car. And my NHT SuperZeros were purchased 30 years ago. Perhaps I will be satisfied for another 30 years with these? That's about all the time I have left with these ears anyway.

Oh, and as a business owner I can probably buy these with tax-free company money since I'd sometimes use them to make educational videos.

Last edited:

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Regarding the expense, after a year of being trapped in this room I realized I use speakers more than I use my car.

You're like me. I spend more on speakers than I do on cars, and for the exact same reason(I use them way more).

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Nope. I just see some around here are a bit too mesmerized with this brand as if there was nothing else available.

I don't see the same thing. I generally see Genelec, Neumann, KEF, and Revel all held on the same pedestal, and lets not pretend it's not for good reason. Maybe your tinted glasses are making you see things differently? ;) You've been here a few years longer than me, though, maybe it was true in those couple years before I joined.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't see the same thing. I generally see Genelec, Neumann, KEF, and Revel all held on the same pedestal, and lets not pretend it's not for good reason. Maybe your tinted glasses are making you see things differently? ;) You've been here a few years longer than me, though, maybe it was true in those couple years before I joined.

Don't worry about me.

dasdoing

Major Contributor
Bigger speakers aren't only about bass extension. You can't get high SPL in farfield with 8030s. Certainly better paired with a KC62, but their internal amp and 5" drivers will bottleneck at some point.

For nearfield or reasonable levels, 8030 + KC62 will sure do the trick.

though the T5V 96dB distorsion graph looks better than many bigger speakers. HS7 is terrible at 96dB for example

Tangband

Major Contributor
I'm more constrained by space than cost. I see that the Adam T5V measures reasonably well and did well in Amir's subjective evaluation, though he had to bring down the highs. If we're not worried about price, is there another speaker of similar size that does even better?

For background, I want to replace my 1991 NHT SuperZeros, used at my desk for near-field listening only. I have a KEF KC62 subwoofer. I do not listen very loud.
After making extensive measurements and listening tests of the Genelec 8331, my conclusion is that this speaker is very hard to beat soundvice, for the size and price. Even without using GLM, the sound is wonderful and if the listening room is bad, and you have to use GLM, the sound gets better than most other speakers for the same money. If used in a livingroom - a proper loudspeaker stand are important. Dont use it on a shelf.

Of course you cant play very loud because the speakers are rather small and the bass drops below 45 Hz, but It all depends on what you are comparing with. A jbl 305 or Adam T5V is not anywhere near the soundquality you get from a pair of 8330, or 8030c. The difference is huge.

Last edited:
smh @ "Was Adam T5V". Adam has NEVER made the best nearfields and that particular model is GARBAGE.

PMC, Barefoot, ATC; these companies make the best nearfields. 8331s are good but still not as good as those I just listed.

jonfitch

Honestly I don't think the premium is worth it over the Genelec 8030. My experience with the 8331 was that the lower mids were way too strong relative to the 8341/8351, and ended out sounding too closed in.

Top Bottom