• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is consciousness an episodic memory system for interacting with reality?

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
There is no R&D in evolution, only the D part apply, so to speak. The process is totally entropic, without any form of planning, you may see benefits given by some form of evolution only after a long while, organisms have no designer and a researcher stating “I want to know WHY” sounds like someone trying to demonstrate the existence of a god because “of course it must exist”.
1) No enthalpy involved in evolution? Interesting. Why do you say that?
2) In what way are entropy and enthalpy not "whys"?

Paolo

1) No enthalpy involved in evolution? Interesting. Why do you say that?
2) In what way are entropy and enthalpy not "whys"?
1) Sorry, but I don’t see where you’ve got that conclusion. Maybe is my bad English, but I was just comparing evolution to the research & development of man made products. It was, of course, an extreme simplification.
2) The physics working is a cause that do not imply reason, unless you are using the term “why” as a child that doesn’t know better, it does imply intention, as in “why you did that”. Evolution follows physics laws, causes and effects. Evolution did not choose to give wings to birds in order to make them fly, it just happened and the context selected the traits to keep.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
You're right on your second point, @Paolo. "Why" is the question that cannot be answered on this side of eternity, only "how" (mechanism).
I agree with you on mechanistics, although there is more to it than entropy, which you may not appreciate (although, perhaps, that's language -- do you know, e.g., what Gibbs free energy is?).

But we can never say why.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Consciousness has evolved in most of the higher animals because it has significant benefits for survival and procreation.

The construct is simply a representation of ourselves (an avatar) in our mind. A portion of our brain monitors and sees ourself within our surroundings and our interactions with the external environment. Memories allow us to store things we learn from our environment and our experiences that could prove useful. Ultimately this overseer part of the brain can analyze past results and reactions as well as anticipate future scenarios and possible responses. This leads to the concept of free will and choice. This kind of overseer brain activity is what we call ’thinking”. In highly intelligent animals the “thinking“ can become abstract - we try to work out what others feel or are thinking. We can apply the same skills to think about experiments/philosophy and science.

The overseer part of the brain largely determines what we regard as important enough to be worth remembering.

It is cloudy. I surmise it might rain. If I don’t bring my umbrella I could get wet but I won’t have to carry it. My choice to bring one or not.

That are my thoughts. Its a importent way to save energy for a being. You have a modell of yourself and the environment in your brain, and with that you play. A tiger not starts to hunt if he has no change to get the jummy. Why not? He plays with that modell in his mind and memory and consciousness tell him does it makes sense, makes no sense(energy saved). From my point of view all higher animals have consciousness.

Last edited:

Paolo

You're right on your second point, @Paolo. "Why" is the question that cannot be answered on this side of eternity, only "how" (mechanism).
I agree with you on mechanistics, although there is more to it than entropy, which you may not appreciate (although, perhaps, that's language -- do you know, e.g., what Gibbs free energy is?).

But we can never say why.
I’m simply trying to convey how researchers are contributing to general misinformation, and I see no need to reach for behaviour of thermodynamics systems in order to explain this simple concept.

It is a common misconception that things in evolution happens for a reason instead as for a cause, and i suspect this is in no small part because of poor language choices by the researchers themselves, as shown in the paper abstract.

Last edited:

SoundGuy

Neuro

Conscious hearing is usually a complex post-construction related to previous experiences.
The hearing of external physical stimuli is primarily automatic and unconscious.
Most sensed sounds are never made conscious.
Based on previous experiences, the brain has stored certain differentiated memories in different parts of the brain, created variable algorithms which sounds should be made conscious in different contexts.
Hearing is often fragmented and previously stored sound memories in many different brain regions allow us to automatically and unconsciously make educated guesses as to what we should actually hear.
When we sleep, the activity in the auditory areas is as high as when we are awake. During sleep, all unimportant sounds are suppressed. During sleep there is some form of unconscious hearing where important sounds make us consciuos and we wake up.
Stroke in an area outside the auditory cortex can cause the cognitive meaning of heard sounds to disappear or in the case of a stroke in another area can cause the emotional meaning of heard sounds to disappear.
The meaning of one's own language occurs automatically and to some extent unconsciously. Never heard words are made conscious and possibly the context can give the meaning.
Hallucinations are examples of conscious automatic hearing without external physical stimuli.
During anesthesia, the auditory cortex is activated in a similar way as during sleep. New study suggests that this is not related to external or internal stimuli. The researchers believe that recorded activity is spontaneous nerve activity.

We found that, although thalamic inputs to the cortex are distinct between spontaneous and evoked activity, under anesthesia sound stimuli engage stereotyped cortical cell assemblies that are already present in spontaneous activity. By contrast, sound stimuli evoke sound-specific cell assemblies in awake conditions, when sounds are perceived by the animal.

Neuro

Experiment Indicates Our Brains Use Quantum Computation​

This approach may be applicable to the brain, where speculations about quantum operations in consciousness and cognition have a long history.

Top Bottom