• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

is Cayin - iHA-6 worth now

AMKAM

never had thx AAA 789 but i hear Cayin - iHA-6 is close or better than 789. so what is Cayin - iHA-6 sound like and how does it do now when A90 and A90d or even Singxer - SA-1 are available.
i know i am throwing everything which are different in sound but i am curious and also thinking about fiio K9 (all in one) which is loved by dms and z reviews, they never like the same thing!!!.
iHA-6 has something called power and it makes warm sound so i am into it

asrUser

Snoopy

Major Contributor
If that is the MK2 version than the price is good. I have the Singxer SA-1 and the SMSL SP400. I couldn't tell a difference In a Blindtest (Meze liric, aeon Noire 2).

I'm sure the Cayin will be great as well. Grab just whatever unit you want the most.
Thx amps are great as well.

Don't go for that "warm" sound BS. Use a equilizer if you want to change the sound.

Reactions: MAB

asrUser

Don't go for that "warm" sound BS. Use a equilizer if you want to change the sound.
How do you do that without good measuring devices? If he prefers warmer sources, it's totatlly ok to buy the Cayin.

MAB

Major Contributor
How do you do that without good measuring devices? If he prefers warmer sources, it's totatlly ok to buy the Cayin.
Because 'warm' isn't a thing in amps. If you had 100 amps, all of them with decent performance, all of them would sound great and not one would sound 'warm'.
If you put a amp with large amounts of distortion and/or noise, it also wouldn't sound warm.
If you used EQ, you might be able to get a 'warm' sound, but not every listener would agree. That's about the only part of this experiment that is unknown since we have no idea what 'warm' is to different people.

staticV3

Master Contributor
@MAB Mate you just refuted your own argument.
If we have no idea what 'warm' is to different people, then how do you know that out of 100 well performing Amps, not a single one will sound warm to anyone?

MAB

Major Contributor
@MAB Mate you just refuted your own argument.
If we have no idea what 'warm' is to different people, then how do you know that out of 100 well performing Amps, not a single one will sound warm to anyone?
No, amps don't have a sound unless broken or really poor.
Warm isn't a thing.
They don't refute each other. Both are not things...
BTW, if you go do ABX testing on those amps with a hundred people, and you show that they statistically call an amp warm then the data would refute. Problem is, people can't hear a difference of any kind between good performing amps so long as they are level-matched, and not driven to clipping. So no difference, no warmth.
There is a loosely accepted definition of warmth, it is a ~6dB peak in the midbass. If you had an amp that had a 6dB boost in bass, that would be a thing.;) But, it's a term that is most often used for speakers tuned to a sound that sells at stores like Best Buy... Not for describing an amp that has a filter with 6dB boost. Amps with large enough boost to be deemed warm are not because of some subtle machination, it's because they have a filter. So if you want warmth like Best Buy, get DSP and add a 6dB notch at 150 Hz.
attachment.php

Also, even order harmonic distortion is another fallacy of warm sound. PKLane (among other's) has some nice software that can introduce 2nd order distortion (any order for that matter). I haven't seen a study on the threshold of human perception of harmonic distortion, and if 2nd order sounds 'warm' as the subjectivist audio circles suggest. I did try the plugin, I can hear the distortion as it is increased, and it doesn't sound warm to me. It sounds like distortion, as if something is wrong with the singer's microphone, or the piano has a mic problem. 2nd doesn't sound good or add warmth, same for 3rd. Distortion just sounds bad.
Amps do one thing, they amplify a signal. An amp with distortion below the threshold of human hearing doesn't alter the signal audibly.
There are lots of info hear on the science of human perception, limits of audibility. If read, you will see that the two statements I made do not refute each other.

If you're asking here if it's better you'll probably get answers like "It will make no difference". Not satisfying? Then read some reviews here: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/cayin-iha-6.21536/reviews
Getting back OT for a moment...my review is topmost and hopefully it's worth the time to read - should give you at least some idea of what I think of the amp.
Which is quite a lot actually, to the extent that I still own it and can't see it going anywhere anytime soon. :)

Top Bottom