• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

Interesting Post by Bryston VP of Sales and Marketing James Tanner over on Audiocircle

Martin

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=84050.msg1780714#msg1780714

Posted in response to a thread titled "Expensive Power Cables?" where the OP opened with this post (bold is my emphasis):

I've got two 7B SST amps, and my dealer has told me that I'm not getting the most out of them with their standard power cables. And I should spend several hundred US dollars on a power cable. What's the story here? I find it hard to believe that Bryston would make these sorts of Amplifiers and fail to provide adequate power cables. Or am being too incredulous?​

Nice to see a manufacturer's representative provide a no-nonsense response to a cable thread.

Martin

Here is another no nonsense manufacturer....

Tommy O'brien (Cherry Amp/Digital Amplifier Company) says that a well designed power supply doesn't need fancy cables... and then over on his Audio Circle web page, he goes on to say that proper engineering means considering the power supply rejection ratio...

BDWoody

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=84050.msg1780714#msg1780714

Posted in response to a thread titled "Expensive Power Cables?" where the OP opened with this post (bold is my emphasis):

I've got two 7B SST amps, and my dealer has told me that I'm not getting the most out of them with their standard power cables. And I should spend several hundred US dollars on a power cable. What's the story here? I find it hard to believe that Bryston would make these sorts of Amplifiers and fail to provide adequate power cables. Or am being too incredulous?​

Nice to see a manufacturer's representative provide a no-nonsense response to a cable thread.

Martin
No coincidence that Bryston has typically been marketed without all the snake oil claims. They just make really good stuff based on real engineering, and have for a long time. Not cheap, but who else offers a 20 year warranty?

That's a really good overall summary...

Billy Budapest

Forum Donor
No coincidence that Bryston has typically been marketed without all the snake oil claims. They just make really good stuff based on real engineering, and have for a long time. Not cheap, but who else offers a 20 year warranty?

That's a really good overall summary...
When you say “not cheap” and “20 year warranty” in the same breath, you have to realize that a significant part of the cost of Bryston gear IS the 20 year warranty!

I suspect that the Bryston gear pricing has a lot more to do with "made in Canada" and sold through a dealer network than with warranty cost markup. If you buy Bryston, you know you are going to get good sound, good reliability and good resale...kind of like a Honda...and having heard Bryston gear for the first time at the Florida Audio Expo...I'm probably selling them short because it sounded a lot better than just good.

Billy Budapest

Forum Donor
Oh, the 20 year warranty accounts for a big chunk of change. It’s not a markup, it is an actual line item in the build. Most warranties are backed by insurance policies that pay out for each warranty claim. A chunk of the premium for the policy the company maintains is built into the cost of the unit. That all being said, I don’t know how Bryston operates its warranty repair work and if it uses an outside insurance vendor to process and pay for claims or if it does it in-house.

Neddy

FWIW, I contacted their US repair rep (an actual person, and Bryston employee), and was very impressed with the depth of his knowledge and willlingness to get into details. Prices seemed fair (for out of warranty amps) tho shipping on the heavier ones are a factor.
I've done some A/B testing of Byrston vs. (older US) Crown units, and thought the Bryston sounded much 'more detailed' - I sure hope Amir gets a chance to put some of their older amps on the test bench!