• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Integrated phono in turntable

OP
FTB

FTB

Manufacturers stopped technological research on the turntable already in the 80s, that is, since the arrival of the CD, in fact today we consider the turntable as an archaic music player (actually it is). From the mid 80s to now there has been no more improvement in the engineering of its components and for this reason, modern turntables are just poor imitations of what was good 40 years ago. My advice for buying a turntable is to choose a good restored vintage product, instead of buying a bad plasticky imitation made now.
The direct drive motor should only be chosen for heavy duty use (DJing), on the contrary, for HiFi listening the belt drive is much more performing precisely because it is quieter. Maximum care must then be taken in the choice of cartridge and riaa preamp: all the character of the turntable comes from there. Good luck
That is a very helping insight, thank you.
Do you have any model of 80s belt drive TT to recommend ?

recycle

My experience: I spent the golden era of vinyl as a DJ, so I'm familiar with direct drives and I still have my 3 Technics SL1210s from the time (the one and only TT for DJ's). Another vintage TT that did really well was the Technics SP15: a monster of power. In the 70s/80s there were also Thorens and Pioneer: their excellent high-end products of the time are still doing well today. note a detail: in those days the base of the unit was made of wood (classy!)
Unfortunately this vinyl trend has skyrocketed the prices of fully serviced vintage. If you're trying to keep your budget low, the only deals you can still find are broken units to fix (skills required)

Attachments

• technics-sp15-1893947-2581029133.jpg
    technics-sp15-1893947-2581029133.jpg
    250.4 KB · Views: 38
  • 1210.jpg
    1210.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 40
  • thorens.jpg
    thorens.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 40
  • Pioneer.jpg
    Pioneer.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 40

mike70

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Quieter but out of speed :)

Choose your poison.

OP
FTB

FTB

My experience: I spent the golden era of vinyl as a DJ, so I'm familiar with direct drives and I still have my 3 Technics SL1210s from the time (the one and only TT for DJ's). Another vintage TT that did really well was the Technics SP15: a monster of power. In the 70s/80s there were also Thorens and Pioneer: their excellent high-end products of the time are still doing well today. note a detail: in those days the base of the unit was made of wood (classy!)
Unfortunately this vinyl trend has skyrocketed the prices of fully serviced vintage. If you're trying to keep your budget low, the only deals you can still find are broken units to fix (skills required)
Thank you again.
I went deeper into searches.

About turntables of nowadays, there is this video to see inside the Audio Technica AT-LP120 :
God, so much plastic ! I will pass now for sure...

When you wrote "turntable from the eighties" I thought again about Technics that was recommended before in this thread, SL-Q2 and SL-D2 models, direct-drive, quart and servo controlled, plastic-alu alloy chassis.

I grew up with a Technics TT, an entry-level plastic chassis / semi-auto / belt drive SL-220 but it simply looks like Technics was a big name in the 70s and 80s.

This page has a lot of info https://vintagetechnics.audio/turntables.php

I prefer on paper the SL-Q2 because quartz.

Then I took a look on what I can find near home and I found a SL1800 MKI for about 100 €.

So a direct-drive one, servo controlled (MKii is quartz) fully manual.
I read it is the same motor as the SL1200, I am not sure about that.

What I like is the simplicity of a manual turntable.
SL1800 MK1 inside :

DSCF0480.JPG

A motor, a tonearm, that's it.

SL-Q2 looks solid too :

DSD_2004.JPG

but semi-automatic means a bit more parts and some plastic ones :

slq2_open_highres.jpg

I guess both SL1800 and SLQ2 have this plastic/aluminum alloy chassis from Technics.

I didn't plan to buy the turntable until several months but I guess I will go for the SL1800 near home, like 130€ with road trip.
SLQ2 goes for 200€ and more in Europe without shipping.

Quieter but out of speed :)

Choose your poison.

I guess in front of the speakers speed variations are easier to spot than noise problem...

I am not fond of the used Thorens I can afford, e.g. TD166 : AC motor (noisy I found), plastic pulley easily out of roundness, resistors on motor heating a lot etc.

I took a look on Pioneer models I can afford, nothing great beside the Technics I quoted above ;)

Last edited:

mike70

I have the SL-Q2 ... 2 drops of Technics oil in the spindle every 4 years ... working since 1981.

Used with many (many) MM cartridges and with MC cartridges ... zero hum or mechanical noise.

Simply fantastic.

OP
FTB

FTB

I have a very good option at good price for a Technics SLQ2 (or LP1800 mk1) but I have to admit I like the ATH at-lp40wn

dz03NTA=_src_57914-gramofon-audio-technica-at-lpw40wn-audiocompl-fot1.jpg

It looks smart. Ok ok, I have to remember look is not the most important, belt drive TT have defaults, yes the arm is carbon but the chassis is MDF and to me MDF is ****** simili-wood +the rumble and wow/flutter are way better on Technics DD.

Ok, I guess I'm answering to myself "go for the Technics" :D

mike70

I have the SLQ2 ... since 1981 :)

The 1800 mk1 is servo controlled and the mk2 is quartz locked.
If it's in good condition, the SLQ2 is miles ahead that AT and with quartz locked speed.

OP
FTB

FTB

Yes I will follow your advice.

The AT is -to me- cheap MDF but yeah it looks nice.
The Fluance RT83 looks good (thicker chassis and Ortofon 2M red) but with shipping and taxes it is more than 600 €, no way.

The Technics is not the most good looking but the specs are way better.

Can you tell me more about the Technics oil and how to use it for a bit of maintenance ?
I will also check the motherboard if some eletronic components need to be replaced.

mike70

Yes I will follow your advice.

The AT is -to me- cheap MDF but yeah it looks nice.
The Fluance RT83 looks good (thicker chassis and Ortofon 2M red) but with shipping and taxes it is more than 600 €, no way.

The Technics is not the most good looking but the specs are way better.

Can you tell me more about the Technics oil and how to use it for a bit of maintenance ?
I will also check the motherboard if some eletronic components need to be replaced.

you find the technics oil in the kabusa web site ... you need only 2 drops every 2000 hours (i do that every 3-4 years, more or less)
if you will do some maintenance, is goot to clean the spindle first ... surely the previous owners never oiled and must have dust and grease.

the auto return is adjustable and is great.

OP
FTB

FTB

Nice thank you a lot.

I remember checking up the semi-auto system as a teenager of the SL220 of my dad.
SLQ2 is another level.

Top Bottom