• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Insanely Expensive Audio

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
I prefer a real living room with a simple audio system and a nice view as opposed to a cluttered "hifi man-cave" stuffed full of audio gear - although the flat-screen TV could be a bit bigger. (Actually, this room with all of it's hard, flat reflective surfaces could be a acoustical nightmare.)

View attachment 15050

Music with a view.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
A wide range of gear here, some new, some used, some more insane than others:

https://www.higherfi.com/

HigherFi Inc., Ft. Myers, Florida

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
One purpose of “bling” is to denote group-identity and group-membership.
I like artistic expression, but often with metal, glass and other shiny objects, bling art and fine art can at times be hard to distinguish. Somewhat like kitsch and "real" or "fine" art - the space that separates them can be quite a diffuse at times.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I find Pinterest to be vastly superior to Google images for finding artistic expression related to many types of objects, even those classes of things that are most often mundane. Search for "exotic loudspeakers" and be prepared to see amazing designs that boggle the mind. (I believe that you need to create a free account and log in to browse the depths of Pinterest, but I find it a fun place to visit.)

View attachment 15051

View attachment 15052

View attachment 15053

I had a pinterest account for about the same reasons maybe 3 years ago. But they spammed the daylights out of me. I finally killed the account and blocked them. Do they still do that? They essentially hounded me away from them.

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I had a pinterest account for about the same reasons maybe 3 years ago. But they spammed the daylights out of me. I finally killed the account and blocked them. Do they still do that? They essentially hounded me away from them.
I get 1 or 2 emails per day, but you can mark them as spam (or junk) and never see the emails.

Don Hills

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I don't want to promote them with a link. Here is a snippet from their site which you can follow if you like:

I can't quite read the brand name on that heatshrink. Master-Bait, or something similar...

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This may mark me out as an immature idiot, but I've got a real soft spot for analogue VU meters on audio gear, as silly as it sounds I'd happily pay more for the same product if it had those.

Wombat

Master Contributor
This may mark me out as an immature idiot, but I've got a real soft spot for analogue VU meters on audio gear, as silly as it sounds I'd happily pay more for the same product if it had those.

They are enticing. They make it appear as though the gear is doing something.

Wombat

Master Contributor

DuxServit

Forum Donor

Those double VU meters makes those amps more humane ;)

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
We should make decals.

Not sure about decals but I'd probably fall for just sticking a VU meter that moved around without actually being connected to anything! There is just something super cool about a couple of analogue indicators dancing around on the front of an amplifier. I once nearly bought an SPL Phonitor for that very reason until sense and reason took hold.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Those prices are no longer "insanely expensive." :) There is a tier above them now.
You got it..
On top of the products I looove to hate :D

The ... WAVAC !!! It was $350,000 in 2004!! I shudder to know what it would cost today, 14 years later, perhaps > $500K .. Prices do not go down in High End Audio, they only increase. This thing is the epitome of Low Fidelity to the signal but is highly musical ... whatever that means to you plebeian objectivists ... (Actually if you were to ask us, subjectivists what that means you would get a very different answer from every respondent.

The Link to John Atkinson measurements (Click here)

Since we are dealing with the absurd, here is another link ... I like the Nordost Fiber Optics cable a lot ...

Click HERE The link is a little behind the times for speaker cables but I believe the fiber optic cables form Nordost is still the king of fiber optic cables ... I think they should use that particular brand of fiber for Transcontinental Internet connection. Those slow undersea cables in use today are no match for it... Only problem would have been the cost $33,000 for 2 meters! NY _london is 5,585,000 meters but hey!! Jeff Bezos could pay for it to allow Amazon customers to have a better Internet Experience

I am also looking for a $100K speaker cable .. The MIT ACC 268 at $80,000 (No TYPO, Click here), comes close but I need $100K models to bring my speakers/system to the next level: Blacker background, stadium-sized soundstage, more extension in the highs ... Magic elimination of room nodes and other objectivist fixations such as rooms peaks or even the arcane Allison effect. True the MIT with its many poles of Articulation is only $80K (By the way the value of the poles can be calculated since those are poles of something mathematical, equation perhaps.. and it is from MIT :cool:) perhaps a few additional meters woud bring it to the magical threshold of $100K but I am partial to short speaker cable and long interconnects ....

Last edited:
OP
Ron Texas

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Let's put some numbers in perspective. In Houston it's possible to buy a well located, older 660 sf condo for $125k. It is subject to a $200/month maintenance fee. A 3 year off lease BMW 3 series costs around $25k.

I suspect the folks who buy the really expensive stuff made their money kind of suddenly and luckily. They probably did not own a business.

Hi-Fi is just one of those things were prices start low and go past the stratosphere. Watches are similar. A digital watch with all sorts of functions keeps perfect time and costs under $10. Some handmade complex watches are in 6 figures.

OP
Ron Texas

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
A wide range of gear here, some new, some used, some more insane than others:

https://www.higherfi.com/

HigherFi Inc., Ft. Myers, Florida
I just stumbled across this site. Among their offerings are the Pivetta Opera Only amplifier for $2.2 million and a selection of speakers so large and ugly I wouldn't want them in my house.

Of interest I find the Audio Note speakers a relatively simple 2 way ported box based on the old Snell Type E. Variations with silver wire and external crossovers are up to $100k. They have some tube amps going up to $250k, and a CD player with matching DAC for around $100k.

Last edited:
Top Bottom