• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Insanely Expensive Audio

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Fitzcaraldo215

Major Contributor
You got it..
On top of the products I looove to hate :D

The ... WAVAC !!! It was $350,000 in 2004!! I shudder to know what it would cost today, 14 years later, perhaps > $500K .. Prices do not go down in High End Audio, they only increase. This thing is the epitome of Low Fidelity to the signal but is highly musical ... whatever that means to you plebeian objectivists ... (Actually if you were to ask us, subjectivists what that means you would get a very different answer from every respondent.

The Link to John Atkinson measurements (Click here)

Since we are dealing with the absurd, here is another link ... I like the Nordost Fiber Optics cable a lot ...

Click HERE The link is a little behind the times for speaker cables but I believe the fiber optic cables form Nordost is still the king of fiber optic cables ... I think they should use that particular brand of fiber for Transcontinental Internet connection. Those slow undersea cables in use today are no match for it... Only problem would have been the cost $33,000 for 2 meters! NY _london is 5,585,000 meters but hey!! Jeff Bezos could pay for it to allow Amazon customers to have a better Internet Experience

I am also looking for a $100K speaker cable .. The MIT ACC 268 at $80,000 (No TYPO, Click here), comes close but I need $100K models to bring my speakers/system to the next level: Blacker background, stadium-sized soundstage, more extension in the highs ... Magic elimination of room nodes and other objectivist fixations such as rooms peaks or even the arcane Allison effect. True the MIT with its many poles of Articulation is only $80K (By the way the value of the poles can be calculated since those are poles of something mathematical, equation perhaps.. and it is from MIT :cool:) perhaps a few additional meters woud bring it to the magical threshold of $100K but I am partial to short speaker cable and long interconnects ....
To solve your MIT cable pricing dilemma, just special order a longer set than you need. Every additional millimeter improves the sound. Or, maybe just have them wrapped in a custom color cotton sleeve. Maybe authentic Ferarri red or something. Or, do like Manafort and get them in Python skin. That should put you over the magic $100k mark.

By the way, all those Poles in the MIT? I had no idea they were made in Poland. So, maybe have them wrapped in a nice custom red/white combination like the Polish flag.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Not sure about decals but I'd probably fall for just sticking a VU meter that moved around without actually being connected to anything!
Really? The discrepancy would drive me crazy.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area

NorthSky

Major Contributor

Wombat

Master Contributor
Last edited:

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Its designer is a very nice guy, very respectful and always very polite, a true gentleman; Rainer Horstmann.
http://www.dj-rooms.com/avdesignhaus-dereneville-vpm2010/

But that turntable is unique, if you want one you have to order it and probably wait few weeks, months, ...
I would never have my pure pristine analogue corrupted by the mere presence of digital in the same chassis. I mean! having a lot of digital stuff, right Inside my TT? If the scanner, HDTV camera and control were all analog then and only then would I consider this TT. don’t mind the result product to cost much more. :p

Rube Goldberg would have had a field day with this TT.
Does anyone, I mean just one person, ever bought one?

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Its designer is a very nice guy, very respectful and always very polite, a true gentleman; Rainer Horstmann.
http://www.dj-rooms.com/avdesignhaus-dereneville-vpm2010/

But that turntable is unique, if you want one you have to order it and probably wait few weeks, months, ...
Might be a nice person and lots of bits there for the money but IME the arm in 4 rods is a catastrophe of added resonance and it looks like the pivot isn't at the same height as the stylus (sadly common) and the drive system uses what is generally considered poor practice amongst engineers.

cjfrbw

Looks like somebody spent too much time with the Erector Set toy when they were a child.

Fitzcaraldo215

Major Contributor
I would never have my pure pristine analogue corrupted by the mere presence of digital in the same chassis. I mean! having a lot of digital stuff, right Inside my TT? If the scanner, HDTV camera and control were all analog then and only then would I consider this TT. don’t mind the result product to cost much more. :p

There was a time when Linn and others insisted that even having a CD player in the same room, connected or not, negatively affected the sound from your TT.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
He is. His earlier prototypes were much more beautiful than this one.

NorthSky

Major Contributor
He will nicely charge so much?

Compare R&D and manufacturing costs for these products: http://www.businessinsider.com.au/t...4?r=US&IR=T#10-saleen-s7-twin-turbo--600000-1

That's a nice way to put it.
My Mom bought an AC recently, a Fujitsu, just a box that blows air in hot days in her condo. Her previous one went down from lightning, the motor gone and just to be told that she have to replace by a brand new unit wax $230. Do you know how much AC go for? ...Just a regular box you put in a window, roughly 20 by 14 by 16. ...It's an analog AC with a digital display, one of the limousines.

Should turntables having a digital display for speed be banned?
I would have to ask him how many he sold.
It's a deep passion to build one, not like a factory with conveyors.

Looks like somebody spent too much time with the Erector Set toy when they were a child.

When I was in my mid teens I built a rear center channel speaker, to put right behind my seat. That was way before surround sound was invented, and much later on when Dolby Pro Logic llx was invented with rear speakers, in addition to the side ones...6.1 mono rear, then 7.1 stereo rears.

When we were all kids we were passionate, still are, in building things, drawing stuff, coloring the sky of life; it's in all of us...boys and girls, men and women of the world.
Building turntables included.

Time's not important, life is.

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Might be a nice person and lots of bits there for the money but IME the arm in 4 rods is a catastrophe of added resonance and it looks like the pivot isn't at the same height as the stylus (sadly common) and the drive system uses what is generally considered poor practice amongst engineers.

Looks to me like a designer product marketed to an uneducated customer base on the premise of better sound. I've seem few other products built on a more ridiculous premise. He may be the congenial type, good at dipping into your pocket while he laughs all the way to the bank. Ever seen the movie The Flim Flam man?

NorthSky

Major Contributor

Yes Amir, and he has other designs too, linear tracking and regular tonearms, some/all interesting designs. He's from Germany I believe. Rainer is an audio turntable designer artist who pushes the limit of science married with art, technology @ the service of audio passion for high caliber music lovers. It's in him, and he's humble about it, a true genuine artist. I say this because my few exchanges I had with him were always from the utmost respect, simplicity, human understanding.

There might be some videos of him on the Internet...I'm not sure.
Ray can find them in a blink of an eye.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I have always wondered about an optical playback method for LPs. You would take a high-res picture of it and then be able to play any part of it instantly. You could apply various noise reduction, etc. on demand. They would be no need for precision motors, cartridge or nothing. It would be the ultimate LP rip setup.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Need a 3D camera... There have been a few optical playback systems through the years but I have not kept track.

NorthSky

Major Contributor

He uses a chain (similar to a bicycle chain) to move the linear arm. I've never seen this before I saw that one. I remember briefly conversing with him about it, online.

I remember one Christmas getting an electric train (Lionel, blue engine...heavy) from Dad. Another year on my birthday my first tricycle. ...A tank that was shooting shells and with smoke coming out. We never cease to play like all kids do.

I have no clue how Rainer's turntable ($650,000+) sounds.
I'm not an expert on turntables science.

The best is yet to come, not yet invented...that's progress in science.
How do we engineer the best performing hearts for people in need of a new one, including mine?

Which is the best turntable in the world? And which tonearm technology do we attach to it, and the ultimate cartridge? What is the everything that is important in the audio chain for top transparency...the art of disappearing and only the music remains.

Top Bottom