• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Inexpensive Compact Desktop Speakers $150 USD Budget

d3rpspace

First post. I just got the Klipsch Promedia 2.1 THX (2018 Revision) for a little over $100 but am already having misgivings after reading the numerous reports of reduced build quality and higher failure rates. My budget would allow me to spend $150 USD, perhaps slightly more if a significantly better alternative exists to the Promedia. My usage case will be lossless music listening on a small desk in a small room (near field), therefore I need to restrict the maximum speaker width to 6 inches. Audio fidelity is much more important to me than loudness, but I do wish to rock out on occasion (probably around 90dB). Also important is low-end reproduction, as I don't want to lose the bass notes from metal and hiphop tracks (bass guitar can hit 40Hz). I'm only interested in purchasing new condition from reputable U.S. retailers; using past sale prices is fine if there's a high chance of the sale returning before year's end. Would greatly appreciate the forum's recommendations for such an ultra-budget setup.

Last edited:
OP
D

d3rpspace

For a 2.1 setup, for a $100 price, your not going to do better (IMHO) than the Promedia 2.1
Thanks for the reply, that was my impression as well. It seems like most of the recommendations for budget systems start around $200-$300, but I figured it might be possible there was something in the $150 range. Perhaps the best plan is to use the Klipsch until it breaks. I've read good things about some of the smaller powered monitor speakers like the Edifier MR4 & R1280DB, but they can't compete in the low-end without a dedicated sub.

twsecrest

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I had used the Promedia 2.1 several years ago, was fine with it until I replaced it with a pair of studio monitors (Monoprice).
Wanted more detail and less bass.

OP
D

d3rpspace

Do your monitors still have punch at the low-end? I don't need my music to "boom" I just need to hear the presence of bass instruments. I'm not opposed to saving up for a separate subwoofer later, but I do need the bass to be fairly well represented by the monitors alone if I was to purchase them first. I see that the Monoprice MM-3 is currently $180... perhaps it will drop even lower later in the year. However I really don't need extra built in features like Bluetooth or digital input.
I had used the Promedia 2.1 several years ago, was fine with it until I replaced it with a pair of studio monitors (Monoprice).
Wanted more detail and less bass.

Last edited:

twsecrest

Do your monitors still have punch at the low-end? I don't need my music to "boom" I just need to hear the presence of bass instruments. I'm not opposed to saving up for a separate subwoofer later, but I do need the bass to be fairly well represented by the monitors alone if I was to purchase them first. I see that the Monoprice MM-3 is currently $180... perhaps it will drop even lower later in the year. However I really don't need extra built in features like Bluetooth or digital input.
I have not used my studio monitors in about 8 years, really only use headphones now.
For $180 budget, the MM-3 is something I would look into, but hopefully they will go on sale soon.

OP
D

d3rpspace

I have not used my studio monitors in about 8 years, really only use headphones now.
For $180 budget, the MM-3 is something I would look into, but hopefully they will go on sale soon.
I can't really believe this, but by luck I just managed to catch a sale today for the Promedia at only $60! Seller was walmart, so there's a chance it was a mistake, won't know until it arrives. Still, it seems like a no brainer, even for the 2018 version lol.

twsecrest

I can't really believe this, but by luck I just managed to catch a sale today for the Promedia at only $60! Seller was Walmart, so there's a chance it was a mistake, won't know until it arrives. Still, it seems like a no brainer, even for the 2018 version lol.
Nice luck and you can always upgrade in the future.
JBL LSR306 studio monitors and a Monoprice sub-woofer.
What are you plugging the Promedia 2.1 into, a computer port or a DAC?

Slayer

I can't really believe this, but by luck I just managed to catch a sale today for the Promedia at only $60! Seller was walmart, so there's a chance it was a mistake, won't know until it arrives. Still, it seems like a no brainer, even for the 2018 version lol.
If you actually got the 2018 version, it may not matter. The issue is not the year made, but apparently at which factory it came from (manufactured).
As to which was the best, I forget and don't wish to spend more time researching it.
Best way to tell if you got a good or bad one right of the box, is to weigh the sub. The bad ones I believe weigh 5lbs +.
The good ones I believe weigh around 7.5 lbs or so. Everything I recall, it was about the plate-amp being junk on the lightweight units.
You can do a little research and confirm this, hell, I think there's even a few YouTube videos about it.
Good luck, I hope you got the good one. For what they are and their price point, they are hard to beat.

OP
D

d3rpspace

If you actually got the 2018 version, it may not matter. The issue is not the year made, but apparently at which factory it came from (manufactured).
As to which was the best, I forget and don't wish to spend more time researching it.
Best way to tell if you got a good or bad one right of the box, is to weigh the sub. The bad ones I believe weigh 5lbs +.
The good ones I believe weigh around 7.5 lbs or so. Everything I recall, it was about the plate-amp being junk on the lightweight units.
You can do a little research and confirm this, hell, I think there's even a few YouTube videos about it.
Good luck, I hope you got the good one. For what they are and their price point, they are hard to beat.
Thanks for the info. Are you sure there were two different sub weights for the 2018 THX version, not the (non-THX) Bluetooth version? Klipsch's official specs say all versions (THX pre-2018, THX post-2018 and bluetooth) of the sub were 11lbs, but I've read that the very first THX model (with power switch) weighed the most at 17bs. Klipsch website says there were 3 different serial numbers associated the newer (VGA port) models: 1067415 (THX), 1062918 (BT), and 1066319 which I can't find any clear information about.

My serial number starts with 1067415, and total package weight says 19.2lbs. I couldn't find any way to determine date and location of manufacture besides "copyright 2020" on the box. Anyways hopefully this helps people figure out which version had the most problems, it would be nice to narrow it down.

Last edited:

Slayer

Thanks for the info. Are you sure there were two different sub weights for the 2018 THX version, not the (non-THX) Bluetooth version? Klipsch's official specs say all versions (THX pre-2018, THX post-2018 and bluetooth) of the sub were 11lbs, but I've read that the very first THX model (with power switch) weighed the most at 17bs. Klipsch website says there were 3 different serial numbers associated the newer (VGA port) models: 067415 (THX), 1062918 (BT), and 1066319 which I can't find any clear information about.

My serial number starts with 1067415, and total package weight says 19.2lbs. I couldn't find any way to determine date and location of manufacture besides "copyright 2020" on the box. Anyways hopefully this helps people figure out which version had the most problems, it would be nice to narrow it down.
No, I can't be a 100% sure on the year. But I am sure there was some controversy over it and some unhappy customers.
As I said, there are (or were) some videos about it. One guy showed how you could check some numbers on the plate amp, while another showed, it was easier and faster to weigh the box.

As long as your happy with it, I wouldn't worry too much about. Or, if you're like me and now you just have to know for sure.
Get on the old YouTube and you should be able to find what you're looking for.

OP
D

d3rpspace

No, I can't be a 100% sure on the year. But I am sure there was some controversy over it and some unhappy customers.
As I said, there are (or were) some videos about it. One guy showed how you could check some numbers on the plate amp, while another showed, it was easier and faster to weigh the box.

As long as your happy with it, I wouldn't worry too much about. Or, if you're like me and now you just have to know for sure.
Get on the old YouTube and you should be able to find what you're looking for.
Curiosity got the better of me and I discovered a YT review with a different 2018 THX version than mine. Their box is identical except it says packed weight of "25.8 LB" instead of "19.2 LB". Also I noticed on their sub backplate the serial number sticker and electrical caution notice are below the speaker input like on the Klipsch support page, whereas mine is positioned above it. Very strange, so I weighed my sub and sure enough it's 11 LB like on the Klipsch spec sheet. I wonder if I have a newer 2018 THX version?

Last edited:

Slayer

Curiosity got the better of me and I discovered on YT a review with a different 2018 THX version than mine. Their box says packed weight of "25.8 LB"
So, you got the 19lb version versus 25lb version, well I wish you luck. Those seem to be the ones that the plate amps go out rather soon and easily. That's probably why you see them pried so low, so often.

OP
D

d3rpspace

So, you got the 19lb version versus 25lb version, well I wish you luck. Those seem to be the ones that the plate amps go out rather soon and easily. That's probably why you see them pried so low, so often.
Son of a B, I found the earlier version of the 2018 THX spec sheet, sure enough the sub weight is listed as 17 LB. I used web archive to determine they changed the specs sometime near the end of 2022. But if the change was that recent, it doesn't explain the influx of build quality issues going back several years beforehand. I checked the most recent YT review videos and those going as far back as 7 months ago have the new backplate, so it's definitely the latest revision. They must've done another significant circuit redesign for the sub to have lost 6 LB, for (hopefully) better and not worse.

Last edited:
OP
D

d3rpspace

So I have to say after listening to the Pro Medias, I'm generally pleased (given what I paid), but not completely satisfied. My initial impression is that there is a "fullness" to the sound not entirely present. Some folks who've heard the original Pro Medias have said the remakes sound noticeably "thin" and less substantial. Nevertheless, they should tide me over for awhile until I can save enough for something better.

If anyone is still reading, is it fair to say $200 is enough for a major upgrade to the Klipsch Pro Media 2.1? I think for that budget I could get on sale the Polk Audio XT15 paired with an Aiyima A07 amp. Are there any better options than that? Appreciate the suggestions.

Last edited:

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

OP
D

d3rpspace

Thanks, I've looked at these, and it seems the best performer for powered speakers under $200 is the Neumi BS5P (when properly EQ'ed). However, I'm leaning toward the passive Polk Audio XT15 for several reasons: it's less wide (6.5 vs 7.2 inches... important on a small desk), has higher power capability (150W vs 35W per channel), and provides more flexibility in terms of amp quality. I assume that a separate amp like the Aiyima A07 will produce a cleaner audio signal than whatever the BS5P has built in, with less distortion at higher volumes. However, if I'm wrong about that I'd definitely like to know.

Top Bottom