• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

In room REW measurement for L+R channel help

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
In my opinion, the problem is something other than the microphone not being a "measurement" mic.

The data lacks time alignment, and seems to just be noise.

Impulse response

Mine is black. His is red.

Normalized: Both traces "adjusted" to reach 100%

1687435228990.png

Not normalized: The traces show their relative levels:

1687435386357.png

Noise is what I see.

Jimi Floyd

Asking for help. I see the impulse response plots above with a linear Y-axis, REW on my computer shows the impulse response with a logarithmic dB-marked Y-axis. How do I change it, I can't seem to find the linear/logarithmic option. Thank you.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Asking for help. I see the impulse response plots above with a linear Y-axis, REW on my computer shows the impulse response with a logarithmic dB-marked Y-axis
If you hover over the graph, there should be a drop-down menu in the top left-hand side corner where you can choose between dB and %.

OP
K

killitmore

@RayDunzl Thank you so much for your valid measurement reference. I did it again and this time, in comparison with your valid result, i hope that i got it right. Please help take a look. Again, thank you so much for your time and your help <3 <3

I did wrong setting on my soundcard (the UX of this sound card was terrible, took me 30mins to go through all the manual to set up hopefully correct setting)
----------------
One quick questions:
  1. How to draw a trend line from let's say 80Hz to 20kHz? Planning to apply some EQ :D
  2. Based on the measurement, looks like i need to crossover my sub at 100Hz?
  3. Based on the spectrogram, i guess i have a peak at: 107, 230, 420Hz right?

Attachments

• REW measurement 23Jun23.zip
    4.3 MB · Views: 57
Last edited:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Looks close to a valid measure now.

Left and Right measure similarly.

Rolloff below 100 hz, but you said no subs, so I guess a small speaker.

Impulse/step response - is your room an echo chamber? You said "untreated" but what's in there?

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
One quick questions:
  1. How to draw a trend line from let's say 80Hz to 20kHz? Planning to apply some EQ :D
  2. Based on the measurement, looks like i need to crossover my sub at 100Hz?
  3. Based on the spectrogram, i guess i have a peak at: 107, 230, 420Hz right?

Trendline - don't know.
100Hz probably
Frequency response doesn't have big peaks. Spetrogram maybe shows "echoing" for lack of a better word at those frequncies - lively room?

OP
K

killitmore

Trendline - don't know.
100Hz probably
Frequency response doesn't have big peaks. Spetrogram maybe shows "echoing" for lack of a better word at those frequncies - lively room?
Looks close to a valid measure now.

Left and Right measure similarly.

Rolloff below 100 hz, but you said no subs, so I guess a small speaker.

Impulse/step response - is your room an echo chamber? You said "untreated" but what's in there?

Thank you so much @RayDunzl , My system is in my living room. Basically it's an L-shape room, u can check out in my attached picture. I put some cheap foam on the wall behind the system. I have a pair of Elac Unifi Ub5. I got a Klipsch Sw120 sub, but i unplugged the sub during measurement.

Attachments

• IMG_20230630_072219.jpg
    IMG_20230630_072219.jpg
    201.2 KB · Views: 74

ozzy9832001

Wow! That is one lively room.

Your waterfall shows very high decay times. Very high. And these are going to be audible. It continues that way all the way up to 10k hz.
Waterfall.jpg

This just shows another easier to read view for your decay times. The dark blue is really what your looking at minimizing. It's crazy your decay times are so high in the regions where the sub should be playing. What are the walls and floor made out of? I've never honestly seen a room that lively. Is it a bunker. :)

At peak, I imagine you probably have clipping issues as well.

Specto.jpg

And if we look at your spectogram in burst decay, you can see all the ringing that is occurring and for how long. All the darker green and up are all audible ringing.

Because of all that, your clarity, C50 and C80 suffer greatly.

I wonder if something still isn't configured right...How does it sound? Based off your measurements it should sound very echo-y and lack any sort of definition and resolution. Like a musical mess of sound but no clarity.

OP
K

killitmore

Thank you @ozzy9832001, glad that you took a look at my measurement
What are the walls and floor made out of? I've never honestly seen a room that lively. Is it a bunker.
You can see the attached picture in my previous comment. Brick wall, Flooring tiles. And 1 55 TV screen on the rear wall.
How does it sound? Based off your measurements it should sound very echo-y and lack any sort of definition and resolution. Like a musical mess of sound but no clarity
It is indeed sadly. I struggled to get the phantom center image for months. It does ok now but for some songs the image is a little bit left while other songs is a little bit right :facepalm:
I found my listening experience is fun, engaging but definitely no resolution and 3D image at all. For genre like vocal, there is no hope as the image is so bad o_O

ozzy9832001

Thank you @ozzy9832001, glad that you took a look at my measurement

You can see the attached picture in my previous comment. Brick wall, Flooring tiles. And 1 55 TV screen on the rear wall.

It is indeed sadly. I struggled to get the phantom center image for months. It does ok now but for some songs the image is a little bit left while other songs is a little bit right :facepalm:
I found my listening experience is fun, engaging but definitely no resolution and 3D image at all. For genre like vocal, there is no hope as the image is so bad o_O
Ok, well at least that means we know the measurements are correct. That's important, because the data can help us figure some thing out.

For starters you need some soft things in that room. If you have brick walls and tile floors your going to be getting a lot of ringing because even the low frequencies can't penetrate it.

Foam squares are nearly pointless. In order to treat that room you'll need a lot of thick panels and traps. These are expensive, but even a few of them maybe worth the price of admission. A super thick carpet.

Until the room gets under control there is no way of knowing what the speakers really sound like.

OP
K

killitmore

Living with a lively room like this, I guess gear upgrade is meaningless. Better save money for a better room

ozzy9832001

Living with a lively room like this, I guess gear upgrade is meaningless. Better save money for a better room
The thing about spending money on treatment for the room is: you can take it with you. If you move or build a new room or whatever, the stuff is transferable, and always in demand. However, you could start inexpensively with a few things like a thick carpet and maybe some softer furniture (if you have any).

If you want "professional" solutions, then I'd start with larger bass traps and then move to the panels for the walls. Check after each group is installed to see how things are progressing. It's hard to have such a lively room, but I've found very few rooms are beyond help. Some may require more treatment then others, but they will all benefit.

If you want to go the DIY route because you have some skills and the tools, it's more affordable and they can be custom fit to your particular setup.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Here's a crude example of "ringing" and somebody's attempt to change it.

Don't do what he did, but a thick 9x12 rug of some sort would go a long way toward taming the echoes, and not be intrusive, and removevable.

Consider his ceiling treatment to be on the floor, instead.

Last edited:

ozzy9832001

Here's a crude example of "ringing" and somebody's attempt to change it.

Don't do what he did, but a thick 9x12 rug of some sort would go a long way toward taming the echoes, and not be intrusive, and removevable.

Consider his ceiling treament to be on the floor, instead.

Yeah, don't use foam, lol.

I agree a nice thick carpet would do wonders for the room. Plus it has other benefits. Helps with heat in the winter and AC in the summer, unless you have crazy expensive HW floors that the other half will question your sanity if you cover them up. :)

OP
K

killitmore

Nice video about the ringing demonstration haha. The room is too dead. As I understand from this video Carpet. Carpet mostly just absorb mid and high frequency.Will it work for my room? Cause I see the decay time is high for bass frequency as well :(

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Carpet. Carpet mostly just absorb mid and high frequency.

Mid and high are what makes audible "echo".

You'e more sensitive to those frequencies.

We're probably used to a little low-frequency hangover, and less sensitive to those frequencies.

Will it work for my room?

Does what it does for for everybody else.

OP
K

killitmore

Mid and high are what makes audible "echo".

You'e more sensitive to those frequencies.

We're probably used to a little low-frequency hangover, and less sensitive to those frequencies.

Does what it does for for everybody else.
Thank you @RayDunzl . I will try Carpet :D

Top Bottom