• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ICP-type mics & REW?

guy48065

I have available to me a large number of precision calibrated measurement microphones & preamps but I lack the knowledge to utilize them.
Most of these are PCB ICP-type sensors, ½” & ¼" condenser capsules. Does REW work with this type--or only USB mics that plug directly into the computer?

staticV3

Master Contributor
REW works with every type of microphone.

For your ICP microphones, you will need an appropriate preamp as well as a way to convert the analog output to USB (audio interface, audio analyzer, etc).

OP
G

guy48065

Doesn't the REW software assume a default of FLAT frequency response?
My calibration data just verifies these mics & preamps are flat per specs. It's not a file of correction data that's needed for cheap non-flat mics.

OP
G

guy48065

REW works with every type of microphone.

For your ICP microphones, you will need an appropriate preamp as well as a way to convert the analog output to USB (audio interface, audio analyzer, etc).
It makes sense that REW wouldn't 'care' what mic technology was being used.
Is there a place in the program where I would input the sensitivity of the mic/preamp in use?

Last edited:

sam_adams

Major Contributor
I have available to me a large number of precision calibrated measurement microphones & preamps but I lack the knowledge to utilize them.
Most of these are PCB ICP-type sensors, ½” & ¼" condenser capsules. Does REW work with this type--or only USB mics that plug directly into the computer?

Are these the mics you are referencing?:
If they are, you should examine the specs carefully because not all of those mics may be suitable for your intended use—depending on what you're trying to accomplish.

You would need some type of compatible multi-channel interface for them to be able to use them with REW. You will need to purchase a Pro Upgrade for REW for multi-channel input. You may want to try contacting the company to see if they provide response correction files for individual mics that contain a sensitivity factor. If they don't have them, you can contact Herb at Cross-Spectrum Labs to arrange calibration for the mics—will be expensive. The mic .cal files that REW uses has the sensitivity factor in the correction file.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
He doesn't necessarily need the Pro upgrade, as he could also just use one input at the time. Also depending on what his purpose is he doesn't need the sensitivity but a datasheet with such is usually attached to such PCB ICP sensors.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Doesn't the REW software assume a default of FLAT frequency response?
My calibration data just verifies these mics & preamps are flat per specs. It's not a file of correction data that's needed for cheap non-flat mics.
Yes, the default is flat.

OP
G

guy48065

Are these the mics you are referencing?:
If they are, you should examine the specs carefully because not all of those mics may be suitable for your intended use—depending on what you're trying to accomplish.

You would need some type of compatible multi-channel interface for them to be able to use them with REW. You will need to purchase a Pro Upgrade for REW for multi-channel input. You may want to try contacting the company to see if they provide response correction files for individual mics that contain a sensitivity factor. If they don't have them, you can contact Herb at Cross-Spectrum Labs to arrange calibration for the mics—will be expensive. The mic .cal files that REW uses has the sensitivity factor in the correction file.

No. "Array mics"? I see no reason to select that for single-channel speaker & room measurements.

More like this:
+ Matching preamp
+ ICP amp

OP
G

guy48065

From what I can determine from a quick look it'll cost me more to use the lab-quality mics than to buy a cheap USB mic & sound card. And thanks to the correction data the USB mics come with the accuracy is comparable.

I think I'll hit the EASY button on this and just buy the recommended accessories & use REW.

IF I were doing this as a business I would probably want the commercial gear & get it calibrated yearly. As a diy hobby it doesn't add up--even when I already own these expensive bits.

Anyone interested in some nice NVH gear?

Top Bottom