• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ICEpower 200ASC monoblocks DIY

Feanor

Forum Donor
I build a pair of ICEpower 200ASC monoblocks with the modules coming from Parts Express and the cases from Ghentaudio -- not the most original or challenging project but something to do during the COVID-9 lockdown. In general the performance of the 200ASC's was beyond my expectation.

My biggest frustrations were that Part Express was 'out of stock' for the modules for 6-7 weeks after I conceived of the projects, and delivery time for the Ghentaudio cases coming, as they do, from China. I ordered two of Ghent's customized case for 200ASC monoblocks: Ghent put two identical packages in China Post on the same day at the same time. One package arrived in just under 3 weeks -- not bad for China to Canada; it took almost 8 weeks for the second package to arrive.

I was a bit taken aback by the (first) Ghent case when it arrived. It didn't look like the one pictured on the website, but after initial alarm I figured out that it did have holes drilled in the right places for the 200ASC. There as one actual, though minor flaw, that was that a couple of the holes hadn't had the anodization polished away to allow ground connections. I had to sand away the anodization which wasn't difficult.

I had some frustration with the Parts Express delivery other than the 'out of stock' delay. Their three, (why three?), parcels cam via FedEx and I was unaware that I need to pay online for delivery charges, (taxes & brokerage); after I worked through that all was well.

You can read my subjective:oops: review here ... https://www.audioasylum.com/forums/amp/messages/23/235714.html Oh gosh, I didn't match volumes within 0.1 bB :confused: so I guess my comments are meaningless.

BTW, I alluded in my review to my Class D Audio SDS-258 DIY amp. Amir hasn't test CDA's SDS amps but did test their CDA-250C amp with dismal results. As far as I can figure the only Pass Labs amp he has tested is the Pass ACA class A with really dismal results; I'd be delighted if he were to test my Pass X150.5 ... but I'm not shipping mine to Seattle :facepalm: All said and done, I'm going to stick with my Pass amp.

DSCF1495-X1sml.jpg

Last edited:

bogart

Forum Donor
What’s the plans for the ice blocks?

Good lockdown project, kudos on that! My customs experience in Canada mimics yours if it helps :)

OP
Feanor

Feanor

Forum Donor
What’s the plans for the ice blocks?

Good lockdown project, kudos on that! My customs experience in Canada mimics yours if it helps :)
I think I'll sell the 200ASC monoblocks. I don't have any place to use them and not much space to store them. Maybe I'll list them for sale here at ASR.

Top Bottom