• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

I think its a simple question but im confused: How can i attach my node 2i through an ext dac... to my AVR

P_Stein

Hi guys,

I took a couple of classes in electronics a looong time ago but I've been super confused recently on how to attach an external dac in-between my Node 2i and the Marantz SR7013. I like the node but want to improve upon it to get more outta my B&W603s.

Can I just connect the DAC(aka SU9 or DME ADI) via Coax to my Node 2i and then attach the DACs RCA outputs to my Marantz? If I connect to the 7CH In(no processing) I dont think I have base management(arggggh). And if I attach the output to the RCA Inputs on say the CD Input, its gonna re-digitize my signal(also argggh)

Thanks!
Patrick

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi guys,

I took a couple of classes in electronics a looong time ago but I've been super confused recently on how to attach an external dac in-between my Node 2i and the Marantz SR7013. I like the node but want to improve upon it to get more outta my B&W603s.

Can I just connect the DAC(aka SU9 or DME ADI) via Coax to my Node 2i and then attach the DACs RCA outputs to my Marantz? If I connect to the 7CH In(no processing) I dont think I have base management(arggggh). And if I attach the output to the RCA Inputs on say the CD Input, its gonna re-digitize my signal(also argggh)

Thanks!
Patrick

How is connecting the Node > digi coax > new dac>RCA> Marantz

any different to Node>RCA> Marantz ?

(It isnt)- so if thats how you connect the Node currently, just add the new dac into that chain in the middle.

OP
P

P_Stein

How is connecting the Node > digi coax > new dac>RCA> Marantz

any different to Node>RCA> Marantz ?

(It isnt)- so if thats how you connect the Node currently, just add the new dac into that chain in the middle.

I have it connected like:
Node 2i>RCA>7CH L/R In
Node 2i Subout >RCA> 7CH Subwoofer In

The crossover is then done by the Bluesound node itself as it has a subwoofer out. I probably shoulda mentioned that. Ive tried doing RCA into the Marantz and the node sounded distinctly worse when I did.

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
You can connect an external DAC via either coax or optical from the Node (the Node has both digital outs) to said DAC then RCA out of DAC to AVR in. Of course you are bypassing the Node DAC and MQA full unfold capabilities by doing so.

OP
P

P_Stein

Thanks Adam,
Would the Marantz internal DAC lessen the audio quality coming from the external DAC? Im imagining that the analog signal would be redigitized and then "analoged again". Or can I bypass this by selecting Pure Direct?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Of course you are bypassing the Node DAC and MQA full unfold capabilities by doing so.

I too thought this- but apparently not- there is (so others have pointed out) a setting to enable full pass through of MQA to a decoder if that is what is attached.

To @P_Stein , Im not sure how you get around connecting the sub given your update on your set up. I dont think many standalone DACs have a sub out . Sub out from the Marantz?

OP
P

P_Stein

Hi Jimbob,
Im thinking the Marantz would be able to handle the subout, but with the side effect of redigitizing an already good signal.
But now Im curious to test out my current setup on the RCA inputs with Pure Direct On. Maybe I can have my cake an listen to cake too.

AdamG

Forum Donor
I too thought this- but apparently not- there is (so others have pointed out) a setting to enable full pass through of MQA to a decoder if that is what is attached.

To @P_Stein , Im not sure how you get around connecting the sub given your update on your set up. I dont think many standalone DACs have a sub out . Sub out from the Marantz?

‘Correct, but the DAC you are offloading the digital signal to must then itself be Full MQA unfold capable.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

AdamG

Forum Donor
Hi Jimbob,
Im thinking the Marantz would be able to handle the subout, but with the side effect of redigitizing an already good signal.
But now Im curious to test out my current setup on the RCA inputs with Pure Direct On. Maybe I can have my cake an listen to cake too.

‘The node is bypassing it’s internal DAC when you use the digital out(s). You then send the same untouched digital signal to the external DAC. Then you use the RCA L&R outs (analog now) to an analog rca input on the AVR (tape, dvd, cd). The signal is analog now, and the AVR does not do any further DAC processing.

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
‘The node is bypassing it’s internal DAC when you use the digital out(s). You then send the same untouched digital signal to the external DAC. Then you use the RCA L&R outs (analog now) to an analog rca input on the AVR (tape, dvd, cd). The signal is analog now, and the AVR does not do any further DAC processing.
Yup, what Adam said. I didn't get what you were trying to "fix" in your system by not just using it without the Node. Did I miss it?

Top Bottom