• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

I learned something today (finally!).

Stu23

Bit of history... 65 now, into music and motorcycles all my adult life. Also, while not nearly broke, have never had endless money to lavish on hobbies, which means I've got quite good at being a cheapskate... finding bargains in both fields when I had to. Two years ago, sold all three performance/classic bikes in my garage and bought one sensible one... and love it.

I think today I got there with the hi-fi!

A couple of years ago, I found an advert for a pair of Mirage M3si speakers a mile away. I'd never heard of them, but they were big and interesting. Guy selling them had stopped someone throwing them into a skip at the local recycling centre... they were in reasonable condition but needed new foam on the mids and a clean up... sorted out, I found a mutually acceptable place to fit them in the house. Not ideal, but my wife of 33 years is partially deaf, and suffers my system in the house having no interest in it whatsoever.

Anyway, I bunged a streaming system together with what I had laying around and then started "improving" it...

Spotify... Chromecast Audio... Musical Fidelty V-DAC.... Cheap TPA3116 brick.... Mirages. Sounded remarkably good.

Immediately ordered a TPA3255 amp... more power for my huge speakers... is it better? Not really, but it was still cheap.

Upgraded the streamer to a Pi 3 with a digi HAT, and eventually a screen, running Volumio. Wasn't expecting any benefits soundwise, it's digital, but at least it plays gapless and shows me some pretty album art!

Tried several amps, an Arcam, a NAD... 50W amps but both seemed more powerful than the 3255. Maybe because they're bigger boxes! They were certainly in the way... I needed a small, powerful amp! Built myself an Icepower unit (300AS1 and 300A1 modules, used from ebay!). My own personal "endgame" amp. Did it sound better? Not that I could tell, but it's got some power!

Right, so digital front end is fine, amp is as good as it's going to get, improvements must lie in the ancient DAC, right?

Picked up a few alternatives along the way, including one with a tube output stage, supposedly ideal for tempering all that "digital harshness". Also picked up the well regarded Khadas tone board from Amazon. With the good lady out at Ascot yesterday (another freebie!) I set about swapping them all out. Can I tell a difference?... possibly. Does it make a blind bit of difference?... no. They all sound fantastic. Sent the Khadas back to Amazon, put the rest away, and shoved everything back whence it came... all hidden except for the streamer and the speakers.

It sounds fantastic and is good enough. Nothing I do is going to make it "better". Just play the music...

Then again the caps in my crossovers are 25 years old... ;-)

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I've found stuffing straws in the ports helps the low end. This in the days prior to good measurement being easy. That might a fine addition for you. Getting a umik 1 mic and getting comfortable using REW software. Or just enjoy what you have. They are good speakers.

OP
S

Stu23

I've found stuffing straws in the ports helps the low end. This in the days prior to good measurement being easy. That might a fine addition for you. Getting a umik 1 mic and getting comfortable using REW software. Or just enjoy what you have. They are good speakers.
You have the Mirages too?
Helps in what way?
No, no.... don't get me going again!

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
It sounds fantastic and is good enough. Nothing I do is going to make it "better". Just play the music...

Isn't it nice to be able to just relax and enjoy your music without worrying about your gear getting in the way?

Now, you've got that speaker/room system to deal with, if you even want to of course. If you want to know if you have any weird peaks or nulls going on, or just what your frequency response looks like, that's the next step.

REW software (free) and a measurement mic ($80) will open up a new world to play around with, and let you see what's happening in your room.

OP
S

Stu23

Well, interestingly...

Given my wife's almost active disinterest and a lounge too small to fit them, they're in the dining room / kitchen and I mostly have the system playing while I'm cooking (another thing I enjoy more than the Mrs!). Also, the system is playing above and across the dining room table....

Told you it wasn't ideal.

Too close to walls, probably too big for the room, nowhere to sit and listen comfortably... but powerful enough to fill the house with music (when the other half is out...).

Could it be better? Of course, but if I want to listen and be comfortable I have a good headphone system next to my bed (hidden inside a 1930s valve radio case for a bit of fun).

OP
S

Stu23

20230510_220744.jpg

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Cocktail Straws or Standard size Straws? I heard that the flex end type straws can help fix directivity issues if you do a proper oval spread. In a pinch the super sized straws like the ones you get from McDonald or Quick Pick Slurpie are great for dispersion. If that doesn’t work you may have broken the last Straw! ;)

Punter

I like your philosophy OP!
I was recently in a car accident and am only home from hospital a week. While I was in the big house, I was on strict bed rest (fractured L4) so I needed a way to listen to audio without disturbing my room mate. I asked my wife to get me some earbuds and she bought a $35 pair of Apple wired buds for me. Left to my own devices I wouldn't have picked them but as it turned out, they are super comfortable and I had the best time revisiting some old Spotify playlists. They weren't ideal for every type of music but WOW! they are amazing value. It really helped the time go by and sometimes I had tingles hearing some old music in such detail.

Top Bottom