• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

I have a tape out issue on my receiver.

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
When I plug any cable to the tape out of my sansui 2000a, the volume decreases out of my speakers. Has anybody else had this problem on other receivers?

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
If I understand correctly. It means the downstream input impedance is relatively low and the output impedance of your sansui is relatively high hence a reduction in volume. If the reduction in volume is not large, it's nothing to worry about. It's a two way issue, investigate further if you can't live with it.

Last edited:
OP
ThatM1key

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
Thanks for the reply. What I noticed is that some cables take a quarter of the volume away, regardless if they are connected to equipment. I forgot to mention that I'm connecting a subwoofer up to the sansui. Due to that weird output impedance of the tape out, I'm gonna use the Speaker B outputs to feed my subwoofer.

OP
ThatM1key

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
Connecting a subwoofer to a fixed volume output would be silly anyway.
My infinity sub has speaker in and outs but some of the springs on the outs came out years ago. I was gonna use my topping l30 has rca preamp for my sub. I'm just gonna hook up my sub to the speakers B section of my sansui. I still could go the rca method by using a "line level converter" but that bring the load from my infinitys 1000 ohm (I think) to 50 ohms.

raindance

Major Contributor
Speaker level will work fine. Just check the lowest frequency your mains can do, or better still measure in place, and set the crossover in the sub accordingly.

OP
ThatM1key

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
Speaker level will work fine. Just check the lowest frequency your mains can do, or better still measure in place, and set the crossover in the sub accordingly.
Its really cheap infinity sub. it doesn't have any crossover features, it was really made for receivers with there built in crossovers.

raindance

Major Contributor
Well, then it probably won't be useful. Do you have a photo of the back panel?

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Its really cheap infinity sub. it doesn't have any crossover features, it was really made for receivers with there built in crossovers.

Are you sure it doesn't have any on-board XO? Easy enough to tell -- feed it a full range signal and see if you hear music (albeit very rolled off in the MR and treble) or just bumpa-bumpa-bumpa.

If there's really, truly no XO onboard, it wouldn't be too hard, nor terribly expensive, to build an outboard XO for it and feed it from the "B" outputs (assuming that its sensitivity is similar to the main/"A" speakers). If the subwoofer is too loud, add a variable L-pad (same nominal impedance as the subwoofer); if the main speakers are too loud -- you're kind of stuck without further finagling.

second order XO calculator (the OP would just use the low-pass):
https://www.erseaudio.com/CrossoverCalculators/Second-Order-2-Way

input driver (nominal) impedance and desired XO frequency (e.g., 50 Hz, perhaps?)

Top Bottom