• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

HTPC: capable, silent, reliable

gorman

Thank you for this clarification. Can you tell me if Kodi is set as the "decoder" of all formats with the exception of DTS:X and Atmos, do I still need to configure Windows as "5.1" or "7.1" in order for the channels to make it where they're supposed to, or can I leave it set as "stereo" and the LPCM output from KODI will still convey the surround encoded LPCM to the AVR properly?
Ideally you should set that setting to the actual configuration of your speakers and the same you have set them in Windows Sound control panel.

DTS-X and Atmos are not "selectable". If you want them you simply select TrueHD and DTS-HD in the passthrough options (and E-AC3 if you have Atmos files in E-AC3 format).

Whatever is set as passthrough enabled is handled entirely by your receiver. Kodi simply transfers the audio stream, through HDMI, to your receiver.

gorman

That setting (Number of channels) is important for audio you need decoded by the PC. As is the case for AAC, FLAC (both stereo and multichannel) or MP3s, or Vorbis, etc.

Note that here "analogue connection" applies to formats decoded to LPCM and sent to the receiver by HDMI connection.

gorman

I can explain why this matters to me. I watch sports in my PC browser through my AVR. If I have Windows configured as Stereo, when I engage a surround mode like DD or DTS, the center channel is properly matrixed from the stereo L/R information coming out of Chrome/Firefox. If I set Windows to 5.1 or 7.1, the stereo information being received from my browser gets weirdly encoded as the only channels in a surround mix that Windows has created, and then I can't get the center channel to work in any mode other than "All Channel Stereo".

I made a thread about this problem, and people got all riled up and accused me of not knowing what I'm doing, but in my experience this is how it works. So I prefer to keep Windows in "Stereo" mode, which is why I hate Multi-Channel AAC and prefer Dolby or DTS encoded surround formats.
I see your problem... it's likely that Windows does something it shouldn't be doing, that is upmixing or remapping the channel somehow. You could try leaving it in stereo (the Windows control panel, I mean), then set both Audio output device and Passthrough output device to WASAPI and have the number of channels setting (in Kodi) set to 5.1 or 7.1, according to your setup. I have never tried this but maybe it could work. Let me know how it goes for you. I could experiment a bit on my side as well.

PS
Sorry for the multiple messages.

Dougey_Jones

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Ideally you should set that setting to the actual configuration of your speakers and the same you have set them in Windows Sound control panel.

DTS-X and Atmos are not "selectable". If you want them you simply select TrueHD and DTS-HD in the passthrough options (and E-AC3 if you have Atmos files in E-AC3 format).

Whatever is set as passthrough enabled is handled entirely by your receiver. Kodi simply transfers the audio stream, through HDMI, to your receiver.
Ideally.

But what I explained abt stereo vs surround in the windows settings really does affect my ability to use matrixed surround modes for 2ch content in my browser, and it drives me NUTS.

gorman

Ideally.

But what I explained abt stereo vs surround in the windows settings really does affect my ability to use matrixed surround modes for 2ch content in my browser, and it drives me NUTS.
I understand completely. What I suggested, not having tested it, hopefully will enable you to keep the Windows settings so as to work correctly for browser based audio.

The only way to know is testing.

Dougey_Jones

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I understand completely. What I suggested, not having tested it, hopefully will enable you to keep the Windows settings so as to work correctly for browser based audio.

The only way to know is testing.
I'm going to follow the guide you linked and give it a go, appreciate all the help!

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@gorman <<
In the case of an HTPC (PC) that is using the KODI as the media player; would it NOT be better to send the KODI's extracted audio directly to the AVreceiver (or AVpre/pro) but without using the audio embedded within the HDMI interface?
I gather the HDMI connection is intended to send the video to a TV/monitor, thru the AVreceiver (AVpre/pro), strictly for display and NOT for e-/ARC back to the AV hw.
I am not aware if current crop of AVreceivers allow capability to separately reconfigure/pair (matrix) source of audio (digital/analog/USB/HDMI/eARC/etc) and the source of video (HDMI/DP/etc).

gorman

@gorman <<
In the case of an HTPC (PC) that is using the KODI as the media player; would it NOT be better to send the KODI's extracted audio directly to the AVreceiver (or AVpre/pro) but without using the audio embedded within the HDMI interface?
I gather the HDMI connection is intended to send the video to a TV/monitor, thru the AVreceiver (AVpre/pro), strictly for display and NOT for e-/ARC back to the AV hw.
I am not aware if current crop of AVreceivers allow capability to separately reconfigure/pair (matrix) source of audio (digital/analog/USB/HDMI/eARC/etc) and the source of video (HDMI/DP/etc).
I honestly can't understand what you are suggesting.

Could you better describe the scenario, including connections, cables used, etc.?

Top Bottom