• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

HTPC: capable, silent, reliable

gorman

I disagree, but even with your statement, that requires a serious PC (>$2,500). And unless you have a large projection screen, I doubt madVR really does a visually better job of upscaling 1080p than an NVidia Shield on a normal-sized display. And then you have to get signal from the large noisy PC to your AVR/processor.
You tell me you disagree but you don't explain why and then you go on to speak about price, which, for the level of expense, might not be a concern for everybody.

As far as upscaling is concerned, there's plenty of in-depth research available online. No solution among the best available is viable on Nvidia Shield. Even its AI upscaler has been surpassed by the PC version. Nvidia's words, not mine: https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2023/02/28/rtx-video-super-resolution/

I have done comparisons on my 77" screen and yes, I do notice the difference between the scalers available on a Shield and what I can do from a PC. As far as noise is concerned, there are options to mitigate that. In my specific case my PC is inaudible during daytime but it can be heard, faintly, at night. Not while enjoying content, though, apart from really, really quiet moments.

If we go to NUC territory, you can absolutely passively cool a NUC. More money, sure, but then it's totally quiet, zero fans used (unlike Shield which has a fan, but I don't think it uses it when doing multimedia jobs, just for gaming most likely).

Digby

Major Contributor
If we go to NUC territory, you can absolutely passively cool a NUC. More money, sure, but then it's totally quiet, zero fans used (unlike Shield which has a fan, but I don't think it uses it when doing multimedia jobs, just for gaming most likely).
If you can control fan speed (with software), then most reasonable (power efficient CPU) fans can be made quieter than average background noise for 85% of usage. Typical fan curves are rather too aggressive/fast for my tastes.

Last edited:

rynberg

Forum Donor
Would you please care to explain -- in detail -- BOTH these assertions?
Big, broad brush [<< imo]
I mean, really? Have you personally tried to stream 4k HDR from a Windows OS computer? Have you done so with a streaming device? Ignoring the fact that Windows is still terrible at HDR and can't do Dolby Vision at all...

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I mean, really? Have you personally (1)tried to stream (2)4k HDR from a (3)Windows OS computer? Have you done so with a (4)streaming device? Ignoring the fact that Windows is (5)still terrible at HDR and can't do Dolby Vision at all...
I mean Really? x2
If Netflix/AmazonPrime or pushing 4K video over a local network'd NAS may fit your description of "streaming", then my answers are the following:
(1) Yes
(2) Yes
(3) Yes
(4)
Yes
(5) Yes
Has your questions to my question - and my answers to yours -- answered my original question?

rynberg

Forum Donor
You tell me you disagree but you don't explain why and then you go on to speak about price, which, for the level of expense, might not be a concern for everybody.

As far as upscaling is concerned, there's plenty of in-depth research available online. No solution among the best available is viable on Nvidia Shield. Even its AI upscaler has been surpassed by the PC version. Nvidia's words, not mine: https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2023/02/28/rtx-video-super-resolution/

I have done comparisons on my 77" screen and yes, I do notice the difference between the scalers available on a Shield and what I can do from a PC. As far as noise is concerned, there are options to mitigate that. In my specific case my PC is inaudible during daytime but it can be heard, faintly, at night. Not while enjoying content, though, apart from really, really quiet moments.

The OP is asking for a pre-built machine with functionality at least matching streaming boxes. They don't sound like the sort to spend a lot of time and $2,500+ to run madVR. Can you run madVR with streaming services?

I'll concede that you see a difference between the Shield and madVR on your 77" display, but can I ask what material are you talking about? 480p or 1080p?

rynberg

Forum Donor
I mean Really? x2
If Netflix/AmazonPrime or pushing 4K video over a local network'd NAS may fit your description of "streaming", then my answers are the following:
(1) Yes
(2) Yes
(3) Yes
(4) Yes
(5) Yes
Has your questions to my question - and my answers to yours -- answered my original question?
You still can't do Dolby Vision...and what is the ergonomic situation of selecting a show and getting it to your display? Ever have Windows notifications for updates and other items annoying your process? You aren't really being honest in saying that there are no greater hassles running a HTPC for video playback than a streaming device.

gorman

you see a difference between the Shield and madVR on your 77" display, but can I ask what material are you talking about? 480p or 1080p?
Both. I see a difference in 1080p too, which I suppose was what you were interested in.

I am not saying that a HTPC is easier to operate, or as easy, than a Shield. I am just saying that both have a reason to be.

Personally I am too used to the absolute flexibility granted by a HTPC to give that up. Not only for watching stuff but even to directly automate interactions with both the TV and the AVR (picture modes, sound modes, etc.).

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Personally I am too used to the absolute flexibility granted by a HTPC to give that up.
Do you route HTPC thru an AV receiver/Pre or direct from HTPC' HDMI to TV? And then e/ARC?

What app do you use to play videos on your HTPC?
I have been using ZoomPlayerMax for about 4 years, along with a wireless mouse as remote control for my NUC10.

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you route HTPC thru an AV receiver/Pre or direct from HTPC' HDMI to TV? And then e/ARC?

I have been using ZoomPlayerMax for about 4 years, along with a wireless mouse as remote control for my NUC10.
Try Kodi DS-player. not just Kodi.
The DS version incorporates madVR to give a better upscaling on the fly. Kodi player, once you get used to its interface, is ideal for video playback, it can be controlled with a remote control, as though it was a DVD player.
For music, there is Roon and jRiver. both can be used with IR remotes (same as Kodi).
Incidentally , jRiver can also play videos, as good as Kodi DS, but I don't like its interface .
It also can be controlled with a remote phone app. Again interface is not for me. For music alone, jRiver is my choice.

gorman

I connect my RTX 3070 to my AVR and that to my TV.

I use Kodi DSPlayer, already described above this post.

Zoom Player was what I used when I first built a HTPC in 2007. Back then there was no Kodi for Windows, let alone the DSPlayer fork.

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I connect my RTX 3070 to my AVR and that to my TV.

I use Kodi DSPlayer, already described above this post.

Zoom Player was what I used when I first built a HTPC in 2007. Back then there was no Kodi for Windows, let alone the DSPlayer fork.
The 3070 ?
That's an overkill.
Mine has an RX 570, and madvr has no problem upscaling 1080p to 4K. smooth playback.
RTX 3070 is way too powerful for video playback only duties.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
In the earlier days of 1080p video watching - before HTPCs - I was using the Patriot BoxOffice PBO/Core, and then PBO/Alpine boxes!
Next, I was using BSPlayer, over the standard-bearer of the times called VideoLANClient, that was reborn as VLC.
Both were much better than the Microsoft "WiMP"; yet, both were cumbersome for my HTPC needs (imo).
QuickTime, XMBC-Kodi, GOM-player (et al) also did not work out for my growing needs.
The 5KPlayer was promising but did not work as well as the ZoomPlayerMAX, I currently use.
The amount of CODECs that are routinely updated (including MadVR) number in the dozens, for the PAYware ZoomPlayerMAX.
The new-ish ZoomPlayer 'CODEC auto-detect' feature cuts thru the clutter but its "advanced features" are quite bewildering yet become manageable.
Finding subtitles (different languages) is a manual task that is best done with other utilities.

I'll give the new Kodi-DSPlayer fork a try.
But at the current time, I am biased (some may call it apathy) towards my ZoomPlayer.

OT?: Even with admin rights; Window11 does not make it easy for users to change which apps control which extensions, and the number of audio/video file extension get all messed up when a new/different Video (or audio) player is installed in the system. All software-hell breaks when uninstalling a piece of AV software/utility/app.:mad:
I use RevoUninstaller to trace/log, during any software installation in my Win11P and RevoU seems to do a pretty good job tracking the "association changes", along with any Registry changes, to undo the harm that rogue-software leave behind with most standard uninstallers packagers (including that @#$% WiseInstaller).

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The 3070 ?
That's an overkill.
Mine has an RX 570, and madvr has no problem upscaling 1080p to 4K. smooth playback.
RTX 3070 is way too powerful for video playback only duties.
Don't the most current "4K" TVs already do the upscaling to their native 4K panel default?
Which is a better bet to do this (upscaling) function? The VideoPlayer or the TV?
I am guessing the TV knows best!

Last edited:

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Don't the most current "4K" TVs already do the upscaling to their native 4K panel default?
Which is a better bet to do this (upscaling) function? The VideoPlayer or the TV?
I am guessing the TV knows best!
I have a Samsung Qled Q95 75 inch TV, so its not a slouch !
Using madVR to output 1080p material (or 4K, or HDR) results in far better picture than letting a basic player output.
But madVR is gpu intensive. You need a decent card.
My new venture into video enhancement using Ai, results in breathtaking images on my TV.
But still need to use the DSplayer.

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In the earlier days of 1080p video watching - before HTPCs - I was using the Patriot BoxOffice PBO/Core, and then PBO/Alpine boxes!
Next, I was using BSPlayer, over the standard-bearer of the times called VideoLANClient, that was reborn as VLC.
Both were much better than the Microsoft "WiMP"; yet, both were cumbersome for my HTPC needs (imo).
QuickTime, XMBC-Kodi, GOM-player (et al) also did not work out for my growing needs.
The 5KPlayer was promising but did not work as well as the ZoomPlayerMAX, I currently use.
The amount of CODECs that are routinely updated (including MadVR) number in the dozens, for the PAYware ZoomPlayerMAX.
The new-ish ZoomPlayer 'CODEC auto-detect' feature cuts thru the clutter but its "advanced features" are quite bewildering yet become manageable.
Finding subtitles (different languages) is a manual task that is best done with other utilities.

I'll give the new Kodi-DSPlayer fork a try.
But at the current time, I am biased (some may call it apathy) towards my ZoomPlayer.

OT?: Even with admin rights; Window11 does not make it easy for users to change which apps control which extensions, and the number of audio/video file extension get all messed up when a new/different Video (or audio) player is installed in the system. All software-hell breaks when uninstalling a piece of AV software/utility/app.:mad:
I use RevoUninstaller to trace/log, during any software installation in my Win11P and RevoU seems to do a pretty good job tracking the "association changes", along with any Registry changes, to undo the harm that rogue-software leave behind with most standard uninstallers packagers (including that @#$% WiseInstaller).
Kodi, when run and setup correctly with DSplayer engine, takes control of your PC. It controls your gpu in exclusive mode too.
It turns your PC into a turnkey media player.
Use a Microsoft multimedia IR remote, and you practically don't see the Windows.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Kodi, when run and setup correctly with DSplayer engine, takes control of your PC.
Thank you @Ken Tajalli, for all the info.
I dug a bit deeper into Kodi/DSPlayer (and its forums).
I realized that it really is for the videophile, who does not mind likes tinkering, tweaking, and optimizing their video streams.
I went thru some of those types of engagements for far too long, in the early days of computers+video.
Nowadays, I just want to sit down and press few buttons to enjoy watching a movie.
...The new-ish ZoomPlayer 'CODEC auto-detect' feature cuts thru the clutter but its "advanced features" are quite bewildering yet become manageable...
Not only Kodi but its DSPlayer part (that is supported by one person) seem too hi-maintenance for me.

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you @Ken Tajalli, for all the info.
I dug a bit deeper into Kodi/DSPlayer (and its forums).
I realized that it really is for the videophile, who does not mind likes tinkering, tweaking, and optimizing their video streams.
I went thru some of those types of engagements for far too long, in the early days of computers+video.
Nowadays, I just want to sit down and press few buttons to enjoy watching a movie.

Not only Kodi but its DSPlayer part (that is supported by one person) seem too hi-maintenance for me.
You will master it eventually !
I have been using it, with a remote, for the past couple of years without tinkering with any settings.
Just point and play.
It can even download subtitles, has audio and subtitle delay or advance.
Everything with a IR remote.
Watching 13th Warrior on it, as I type.

Littletycoon

Kodi is indeed an excellent mediaplayer, with hdmi cec usb adapter you can control it with your tv remote (if that tv supports hdmi cec), the basic buttons you normally use. Setting up the initial library is a bit of an investment as is setting up a gorgeous skin. But once set way more WAF friendly compared to say jriver, emby, and sexier than Plex or Mediaportal. Very unfortunate that jriver stayed a bit nerdy niche without WAF appeal.

Dougey_Jones

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I'm currently using a Beelink SEi12 and it's been flawless.

I have KODI installed, because the interface is nice to look at, but if I'm being honest, I use PotPlayer almost 100% of the time. It's the most flexible, has the best hardware support, passes the most surround formats and lets me engage on the fly DD or DTS encoding for stereo sources with a few mouse clicks.

I'm one of those digital hoarders that has >10tb of NAS.

EDIT: TV is an LG 86" Mini-LED and I run 4k60 100% of the time. I hate 24fps content and have it disallowed in my Xbox One X settings so that I never have to deal with it, even when using that as an alternative source.

Last edited:
Top Bottom