• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

HPL Processor DAW plug-in

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Putting a disclaimer out there: I do not have an experience with DAW or Pro Audio mixing.

I just want to hear your thoughts on this since I've encountered another album on Qobuz that employs this HPL Processor in the final mix.

I compared it to the non HPL Binaural version and the HPL version did have a more convincing imaging through headphones for my subjective preferences.

Do you guys prefer the HPL Binaural mix through headphones or the standard mix?

Capture.JPG

HPL Binaural version from Qobuz

1697343870466.png

NON HPL Binaural version from Qobuz

1697343997289.png

nutzandvoltz

When someone has their tracks mastered, that is when these alternative versions get processed.
Usually something like this is just "more stereo", but what gets sent to the master engineer is the stereo mix down and a few stems (A stem is a mixed down track of a few recorded tracks together).

Of course, these tracks are not super hot tracks volume wise like pop albums, but that is because most pop tracks are processed out to analog and back in, but at the threshold of clipping to get their high volume.

dasdoing

Major Contributor

nutzandvoltz

I don't think plugins alone would work. Nor I don't think it could ever compare to a recording engineer intentionally recording for the headphone experience. Mic positioning goes a long way compared to just panning a signal to a side.

Top Bottom