• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How would I test a DIY solid-state amp?

BaRanchik

I'm gonna be designing and building a solid-state amp from scratch (for personal use) and I'd like to know what equipment I'll be needing to test how clean it is / efficient / etc, since personal opinion most likely won't do it.

All suggestions are appreciated!

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm gonna be designing and building a solid-state amp from scratch (for personal use) and I'd like to know what equipment I'll be needing to test how clean it is / efficient / etc, since personal opinion most likely won't do it.

All suggestions are appreciated!

What is your budget for testing and what are the target specs for the amp?

Best choice may depend on amp power and how much precision you need as prices of test equipment rise at similar rates to precision.

Something like a Quant Asylum QA401 might be a good choice if you want to test directly for sub $500.

Audio interfaces may give better results but loads need to be attenuated with resistors etc.

Some info on my plans to test tube amps with an audio interface in this thread:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-outputs-with-focusrite-scarlet-2i2-v3.15759/

I have not solved all the challenges of a dummy load/attenuator yet. Other audio interfaces will work with slightly different setups. Amir has reviewed a few.

You can probably do fine with an audio interface or even a soundcard and free software if you just want to diagnose competent execution like SINAD above 75 or 80dB, but you will need to attenuate the current and voltage.

Last edited:
Top Bottom