• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How to setup this oscilloscope to test for clipping?

OP
G

GabrielPhoto

The volts per division (V/div.) on the vertical scale need to be increased and then test for clipping with no loads connected.
I am sorry this is my first ever oscilloscope so pardon the dumb question, what number from that screenshot would that be so I can work on increasing it and to what number?
Also not sure how to check for clipping with no load. When I dont play anything, then the line is just in the middle.

Thanks! :)

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I am sorry this is my first ever oscilloscope so pardon the dumb question, what number from that screenshot would that be so I can work on increasing it and to what number?
Thanks! :)
OK. Firstly one should slow down a bit for safety reasons. I roughly assume you are metering the Behringer NX6000D because you are seeing ~160 V peak-to-peak on the display.
index.php

OP
G

GabrielPhoto

OK. Firstly one should slow down a bit for safety reasons. I roughly assume you are metering the Behringer NX6000D because you are seeing ~160 V peak-to-peak on the display.
index.php
Actually this was with an XLS 1502 (I was testing it vs the 1002 but decided to keep the 1002). It was easier to connect this one to the MiniDSP output I use for the 1002 (the one connected to the shakers) for a quick test). That was the result I got at max gain while lowering the "preamp" RCA line booster I have connected between the MiniDSP and the Crown.
I took that screenshot after lowering that preamp level so the sine wave was not clipping with the above settings.
Sorry forgot to mention that device. This preamp RCA booster is only going from MiniDSP to the CROWN, not to any other device.

I can check the NX6000D instead to get rid of this extra variable. Or I can check with the xls 1002 now. Either one you prefer to use for the example.
I was just preparing a speakon connector with a short cable for easy hooking up to the oscilloscope.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
You still there?
Actually this was with an XLS 1502 (I was testing it vs the 1002 but decided to keep the 1002). It was easier to connect this one to the MiniDSP output I use for the 1002 (the one connected to the shakers) for a quick test). That was the result I got at max gain while lowering the "preamp" RCA line booster I have connected between the MiniDSP and the Crown.
I took that screenshot after lowering that preamp level so the sine wave was not clipping with the above settings.
Sorry forgot to mention that device. This preamp RCA booster is only going from MiniDSP to the CROWN, not to any other device.

I can check the NX6000D instead to get rid of this extra variable. Or I can check with the xls 1002 now. Either one you prefer to use for the example.
I was just preparing a speakon connector with a short cable for easy hooking up to the oscilloscope.
You need to keep in mind that these can be lethal voltages. This is not childs' play level stuff. After doing the calcs I was going to mention that but you where very fast!...LoL.

OP
G

GabrielPhoto

You still there?

You need to keep in mind that these can be lethal voltages. This is not childs' play level stuff. After doing the calcs I was going to mention that but you where very fast!...LoL.
Yep still here :D
Maybe I will forget about it and leave with the system as is in case I make a FINAL mistake LOL

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yep still here :D
Good! LoL>
The Oscope is set to AUTO so if the Volts/division needs to increase the Oscope should do that automatically if it goes any higher. What probe are you using for the Oscope?

OP
G

GabrielPhoto

Good! LoL>
The Oscope is set to AUTO so if the Volts/division needs to increase the Oscope should do that automatically if it goes any higher. What probe are you using for the Oscope?
20240429_152355.jpg

OP
G

GabrielPhoto

OK I tried the xls 1502 one more time (because is the one I used earlier for consistency of this test) with gain max and preamp max and used AUTO this time.
20240429_152615.jpg

OP
G

GabrielPhoto

IC. Well it is good that the Oscope is battery powered. To go further in Volts/division requires a 10:1 calibrated probe.
ah so this "toyish" osciloscope wont be very helpful for what I wanted? :)
The new screnshot with AUTO is not useful?
Thanks for your help!

OP
G

GabrielPhoto

IC. Well it is good that the Oscope is battery powered. To go further in Volts/division requires a 10:1 calibrated probe.
BTW here is the XLS1002 test
20240429_162058.jpg

You said this
8 Ohms per channel, stereo: 2 x 150.0 W RMS @ 49.0 V peak @ 6.1 A peak.

If I am looking at the right number you were very close, right?

OP
G

GabrielPhoto

Yes, very close to calculated peak output.
Nice job there man! So am I good to assume I am not clipping at my current max settings and move on with my life?

Ps gonna check the others next

OP
G

GabrielPhoto

One more question guys...
I saw this "fancier" ocilloscope but it does not have alligator clips instead something like this:
1714787095345.png

I am guessing I cannot use those to connect to the speaker outputs since that is one for each channel?
Kind of a confusing probe to me LOL
So I guess I would need to grab some alligator clips or will that work somehow?
Thanks

Top Bottom