• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How many DACs do Topping & SMSL make?!

jeffhenning

Nothing against either company, but how many DACs do they each make?

It seems like dozens.

I mean, come on, leave some space on the shelf for other people!

D

Deleted member 21219

There are two concepts:

1) Market share, and
2) Market domination.

The most aggressive business models try to attain the highest market position possible. If they can achieve domination, even though it might take a span of several decades, so much the better.
There are other business models that are not as aggressive. Some people believe that such models, which are more moderate, exhibit both greater longevity and greater stability.

I'll tell you whether that's true or not in a hundred years or so. :D

Jim

darrellc

Forum Donor
Same company, same DACs slightly repackaged. The Duff, Duff Light and Duff Dry of DACs. A DAC for everyone.

Lots of companies do the same thing, crazy segmentation so everyone sees the perfect product - or even better, products - for them.

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There's dozens and new ones each year to keep people upgrading. I use a Topping D10b and have many higher end ones, but audibly you can't do better if it's got the connectivity you need.

Joachim Herbert

Forum Donor
Unlimited space on that internet shelfs.

Rhamnetin

Fun fact: SMSL specifically has four DACs currently in production that use the ESS Sabre ES9039MSPRO.

boxerfan88

More choices for everyone.

Top Bottom