• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How Do I Keep My Apartment Neighbor From Hearing My Subwoofer?

Robin L

Master Contributor
I can't say as I do either.
The man upstairs [at the"apartment" (converted garage) in Berkeley, 1985] would crank up the disco real loud in the morning as he did his strenuous workouts. We had to call the cops on him. I guess that was what made the landlord kick us out.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have been in this same apartment for 30 years and I chose it because, as soon as I walked into it, it was strikingly quieter and more isolated from the neighboring apartments than any of the others in my search. That is not to say that I do not hear my side neighbors from my side rooms but my system is in a central room. Sounds from above and below are rarely obtrusive (recently from a new pet) and the building association requires carpeting in all rooms (except kitchen and bathrooms). In general, we try to be good neighbors.

That said, I have enjoyed my music/audio without significant constraint and, with only two exceptions, I have had no complaints. Both complaints were justified and from the same individual down the hall who has long since moved away. I do not play music loud early in the morning nor late in the evening but, otherwise, I play it as loud as I care. So far, so good.

What age is the building?

And, how's the view?

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I wonder if the OP is in a wooden bldg. My guess is that Kal is not.

GD Fan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

City views to the west, over brownstones, between larger buildings
If you see a New Orleans Jazz Fest flag flying over a balcony on one of those brownstones the last weekend of April and the first weekend every May, wave to me.

mkawa

Forum Donor
wait am i late on this?

turn it off

CMOT

How about bass only, hear through open back headphones? So only you get < 80Hz? Anything above that is probably okay....
As the post above said, there is basically nothing you can do. Look at the transmission of long wavelength, high energy sounds through solid media....

Or buy your neighbor a really good, full room noise cancellation system - feed it your <80Hz signals and aim it correctly to cancel out everything coming through (to be clear, this is not really feasible...)

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Move to a house, a reinforced concrete building or turn off the sub. I had a downstairs neighbor with booming bass and he smoked cigars. I moved to a house. In a wood frame building, or lightweight framing steel, sound travels like crazy.

Kvalsvoll

Audio Company
In some way, more or less, this is a problem for most audiophiles. And there is no cure that can fix it completely.

But it can be improved, in some cases that is enough to be able to enjoy music and still keep the neighbors happy. I can see 3 things that works to reduce sound outside the listening room, 3 things that are reasonable and practical. I will write down a short text on these.

Top Bottom