• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Home cinema left, right and center for ~1000EUR?

sotirone

Hello, not sure if this is the correct place to post this.

I am starting to build a home cinema set for my living room, used mainly for 5.1 movies and series.

I just bought a Denon AVR-X1700H and I am looking to buy the fronts first, then some rears and a subwoofer. ~1000EUR budget is only for the fronts.

I was looking at the SVS Prime bookshelves and center, but after some reading in the forum I have decided against them.

After some more reading, I am at a complete loss. I am now probably looking at KEF Q150's or Q350's L/R and Q250 center or another Q150/350 for the center but I am not sure what is best and if I can source single KEF speakers.

Off-axis quality is very important, as most of the seating is off-axis in my living room (the most extreme seat is at 45-50 degrees, on the right). Left of the TV, the closest wall is at 4m while on the right, I have an obstacle (fireplace) up to ~30degrees of where the right speaker will sit and then it opens up to another 4m. I hope the Denon's room correction can account for it.

Can you please help me with some recommendations, either for the KEFs or something else in this price range in Europe?

jsilvela

Seems your first post. Welcome!

Looking at the reviews (https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?pages/Reviews/) filtering by `Center Speaker`, there's the Arendal for 600 bucks. https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...dal-1961-center-monitor-speaker-review.43190/

Few recommended center channels at the moment though.
The center speaker seems a particularly difficult choice still.
Here's a good summary post; even if it is US based, mentions and ranks the KEF Q series.

I went for the KEF R2c which I got for 800eur, and I'm pretty happy with it, but I don't have personal experience with other models.

I did this for years and have seen people also suggest this, but it might be worth considering a regular bookshelf speaker as center, if that is workable in your setup.

Some suggestions from the previous thread:

OP
S

sotirone

Seems your first post. Welcome!

Looking at the reviews (https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?pages/Reviews/) filtering by `Center Speaker`, there's the Arendal for 600 bucks. https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...dal-1961-center-monitor-speaker-review.43190/

Few recommended center channels at the moment though.
The center speaker seems a particularly difficult choice still.
Here's a good summary post; even if it is US based, mentions and ranks the KEF Q series.

I went for the KEF R2c which I got for 800eur, and I'm pretty happy with it, but I don't have personal experience with other models.

I did this for years and have seen people also suggest this, but it might be worth considering a regular bookshelf speaker as center, if that is workable in your setup.

Some suggestions from the previous thread:

Thank you very much!

I did go through sweetchaos's lists before posting, that is why is was looking at the KEF's.

I couldn't resist and pulled the trigger. I bought 4x KEF Q150's for 636EUR shipped, I might keep the 4th and recreate the setup at my summer home, or I might sell it.

Should be fine with the Q150's for starters, might upgrade to something better in the future as I get more into this.

jsilvela

Thank you very much!

I did go through sweetchaos's lists before posting, that is why is was looking at the KEF's.

I couldn't resist and pulled the trigger. I bought 4x KEF Q150's for 636EUR shipped, I might keep the 4th and recreate the setup at my summer home, or I might sell it.

Should be fine with the Q150's for starters, might upgrade to something better in the future as I get more into this.
Nice, good for you!
I'm sure they Q150's will do great.

A spare speaker can come in handy. E.g. for a while I had an old Yamaha bookshelf speaker for desktop audio (IMO mono > stereo for zoom calls and yt talks).

Top Bottom