• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

High-end Hifi dac. Which has the best USB input?

Moxalain

Thanks to those who helped me on the previous topic. I selected a few DACs (in bulk):
SMSL D300 ROHM
SMSL D400EX
Topping D90
Gustard 26
AudioGD R-28

I mainly use USB (for my PC with Tidal, FLAC files, web radio).
Optics for my TV
Coax for my CD player (rarely used)

So I'm looking for the best USB input. Even if it's not on the list

Best regards from Bordeaux (France)

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Amir puts a SINAD comparison graph in all his DAC reviews, for example in this one:

Although to be completely candid, I doubt you'll hear any difference among any of those 20 DACs.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Apart from the Audio-GD,
Keith

OP
M

Moxalain

Sorry, I don't understand ... All the dac have good USB except audio gd ? Or the inverse ?

Edit later : Ok ! I understand ;)

Last edited:

thon

Probably Holo May or Singxer SDA-6 PRO.
+1
While SMSL DACs measure well wrt to Jitter via USB my 2 SMSL DACs constantly have issues with handshake (often have to manually select them in the prefs of the respective softwares).

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

roderickvd

Many are. Some are custom (Denafrips and Holo for sure, Schiit too I believe).

Even then not all XMOS implementations are of the same quality. For example, the SDA-6 has excellent galvanic isolation. The SDA-6 PRO also has a USB clock with low phase noise.

Overseas

Major Contributor
But... but... USB is the preferred input that Amir tests with notable priority. So you find the results first thing in his reviews.

sq225917

Major Contributor
The decent ndk, crystek and Accusilicon clocks are all broadly similar re phase noise, ie not worth worrying about.

roderickvd

Note I was referring to the USB oscillator, not the DAC oscillator, which is used to derive a 48 MHz clock for full-speed USB. Few USB modules have clocks with low phase noise.

Whether that matters - if at all - is mostly dependent on any PLL or reclocking done after the USB module.

Sokel

Master Contributor
I suggest you have a look around for USB related problems,no DSD for example,crackles,ground loops,etc.
I would choose one that is galvanicaly isolated and has external PS,sometimes laptops and low power devices are not up to the near 1A needed for comfort.

OP
M

Moxalain

I tested USB Amanero (which I preferred) XMOS (variable according to the brand, the quality is not constant).
So I'm suspicious.
XMOS yes, but in which DAC ?

Trell

Major Contributor
I tested USB Amanero (which I preferred) XMOS (variable according to the brand, the quality is not constant).
So I'm suspicious.
XMOS yes, but in which DAC ?

RME has their own implementation of USB, if you want to avoid XMOS.

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Topping D30Pro is great, too, though apparently it doesn't work well with CD transports.

Wino

Probably Holo May or Singxer SDA-6 PRO.
Have a Holo May KTE and Gustard X26 Pro. They have both been great with USB. Subjective sound difference between to two in my opinion. But, I love them both.

OP
M

Moxalain

thank you very much. I just listened SMSL D300 and liked its XMOS input.
I'm going to buy its big brother, the D400EX

Top Bottom