• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help me spend Drop reward points

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I pre-ordered the HD8XX and now have $200 in Drop reward points to dispose of, but I'm really not sure what I should spend them on. Here are some initial thoughts I had...

• Do nothing until the HD8XX arrives in November. I already have the HD800S and plan to keep the one I prefer. If I end up returning the HD8XX, I lose the reward points.
  • Buy the 58X or 6XX and flip it for cash.
  • I don't want headphones, clothing, crappy kitchen knives, watches, nor keyboards.
  • I sorta am interested in purchasing an affordable tube amp, just to say I have one and because they look pretty cool.
Any advice is appreciated!

Helicopter

Major Contributor
I'd say wait and see if they do another release of Darkvoice 336SE or another cool tube HPA. If they don't then wait until you have gotten and decided on the 8XX. If you do keep the 8XX then you can flip some 6XX or something else at that time.

OP
Racheski

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd say wait and see if they do another release of Darkvoice 336SE or another cool tube HPA. If they don't then wait until you have gotten and decided on the 8XX. If you do keep the 8XX then you can flip some 6XX or something else at that time.
Thanks, what makes the Darkvoice cool may I ask? There are over 12k requests for a Drop so I'm optimistic it will happen again.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Thanks, what makes the Darkvoice cool may I ask? There are over 12k requests for a Drop so I'm optimistic it will happen again.
It has a simple crude design with high distortion. It uses a tube rectifier and big heavy transformer in the power supply, which is novel and the tube is pretty, and it uses twin triode 6sn7 for amplication, which are a bigger and look cooler than the later twin triode preamp tube designs, and are easy to find US or Soviet vintage or botique Chinese. It has much more voiced soumd than most amps. The FR change depends a bit on impedance but can help boost bass with high impedance.

OP
Racheski

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ok! 336SE is on Drop for $250. Seems like a decent deal right?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

The darkvoice pops up regularly. Every month or so.

Take care- read around about them- the pros and cons- I have seen mutterings about build/ safety but cant recall where.

OP
Racheski

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just read the ASR review. Having second thoughts now since this could easily become a paper weight after a couple months...

Top Bottom