• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help me correct my error! Bought PS Audio Stellar Gain DAC

OP
MarcT

MarcT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Have you thought about mounting the TV and maybe smaller active speakers or a WiSA system?
Yes, I was researching wall mounts earlier today. I have this one in my amazon cart, but have not yet pulled the trigger on it. One feature that I like is that it swings forward, so I can do that when watching TV, and then I can move it back against the wall when listening to music.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08832WPLW/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A2QJV1LHQIKRFO&psc=1

OP
MarcT

MarcT

Forum Donor
Update:

In April, I came across an absolute mint condition Anthem STR Preamplifier on Audiogon that was about 100 miles away for an incredible price. These STR Preamps and power amps always sell in one or two days, so booked it over there and was able thoroughly inspect the unit and all accessories. It was as advertised in mint condition, looking like it had never been taken out of the box. It was apparent that this seller meticulously takes care of his equipment. Super guy as well.

So, I snapped it up on the spot. I figured that I was getting a preamp that was at least as good as the PS Audio Stellar Gain Cell and which also offers ARC and both MM and MC phono inputs. Also, the STR Preamp had a very positive review over at Audioholics.

Having listened to the STR for a few months now, I do believe the sound is superior. And, no, I don't believe it is a case of confirmation or expectation bias, as I am pretty skeptical of manufacturer claims by nature and, because of my readings here, I was determined to not allow any such bias affect my impression of the STR. Hence, I did not want to write any sort of immediate impression of the STR, but rather, wanted to use it for a while before passing any judgement.

My immediate and continuing impression is that the STR does have a smoother and less irritating sound to it. Amir's review of the Stellar Gain showed pretty bad distortion levels that were worse even than all of the AVRs tested. Some here at ARS said the Stellar Gain's distortion might be audible, while others questioned that. Also, the STR seems to have a bit more attack and immediacy to the sound. Perhaps the biggest difference is that the STR seems to be superior in the placement of different vocalists and instruments in the sound stage. The voices seem to exist in their particular space better than they did with the Stellar Gain. Perhaps the output stage is superior.

Thanks to all here for the suggestions and information provided!

OP
MarcT

MarcT

Forum Donor
Just my 2c........

As well as mounting your Display have you ever thought about a rack configured this way?
Gets everything together with your centre at better height plus opens up your right main more too.

https://images.static-bluray.com/htgallery/37078.jpg
Thanks. Yes, I have, but there are some issues. I've tried to figure out how to install a wall mount without damaging or drilling through the "frame" portion of our picture frame paneling, but I'm having a hard time with that. The "frame" trim pieces extend at least 1/2" out from the dry wall, and any wall mount bracket has to rest outside of those pieces. So, I guess I would need to involve some kind of spacers.

Also, I want to place my turntable on top of any rack or console I use. And I'm not sure that my Krell power amp would fit in the shelves in your picture. And I'm also not sure if my wife would go for a black metal kind of look, as this is in our family room.

I did run across a picture of a setup of wooden racks that might work, but I found out that they are custom made in Canada and pretty expensive:

Fig1-Hero.jpg

Astrozombie

Forum Donor
It's always tricky figuring out the center channel, that's a fine ^ setup you don't see the HDI Towers too much, though I always wonder why people need so many Amplifiers. :oops: (Doesn't this go against the wisdom of spending more on your speakers than Amps? $4K Towers and like over $20K in Amps)

Top Bottom