• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hearing some white noise/static in my recordings but can't seem to get rid of it.

AnthonyJaxon

I got a new mic a few weeks ago, the Neewer NW-700 and a Phantom Power from the same brand (NW-100). To my surprise the mic actually made sound without the phantom power, just XLR to 3,5 mm. Currently, I haven't tested it with other computers nor another mic because I don't have one. The mic quality itself is terrific, but this kind of white noise and static makes it hard to appreciate the recording. I tried using Voicemeeter Banana, Audacity, Krisp and other audio software to try to reduce the hiss but it's still there. I have hooked the mic to the front panle and my MoBo, and the front panel had like a volume increase in everything. Also, I tried installing the latest realtek audio drivers, but they sorta like, failed? And after that the mic just didn't pick up any sound. A weird thing is that whenever I try to record in OBS there's this weird like pulsating sound, you'll hear it in the recordings. I'll list my whole setup and how my connections are done in case it's ground issues or just the amp (?) or my mobo or something else. I can still refund all of the mic components and just buy a plug and play mic that has no issues, so long as it is around $50-$60 US.
solitaire.onl/ 9apps.ooo/

Last edited:

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Hi, sounds like a gain structure issue. You need a dedicated pre-amp in addition to the phantom power. An audio interface with a decent ADC will reduce the hiss.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
If you are using windows, and putting the 3.5 mm plug into the mic input then Windows has the ability to add something like 40 db gain for microphones. So not surprised it is noisy. If the unit is like most condenser mics it needs phantom power to operate properly. If it had that, you likely could turn down the gain and the noise would go away. It is possible if you turn down the gain, in the Windows sound settings for that input the noise might be mitigated.

My advice would depend upon what you expect to do with the microphone. If it is podcasting or something like that, then maybe a USB microphone like a Blue Yeti or similar would be a simpler solution for you. Or maybe it is to keep the microphone, send back the phantom power and purchase something like the Focusrite Solo which is a USB sound card which includes phantom power and other things nice for recording. The Solo would cost about $110, you'd get money back on the phantom power supply return, but it will still be a bit over your $60 budget.

Top Bottom