• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hearing loss: a hobby fades away

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I worked in an enclosed manufacturing environment for decades where there was a constant hum of motors and drive belts at 85db+. OSHA required hearing protection in the room but there were shallow idiots who wouldn't be bothered. I always wore hearing protection and at 58 I have decent hearing because I respected it. We had mandatory professional hearing tests annually and it was easy to watch some people lose sensitivity. I went through many kinds of ear plugs over the years and FWIW I whole-heartedly recommend 3M 1100. I bought them for myself at work when management preferred crappier plugs just to fill a mandate. I still use them when I run a big air compressor, etc and when I sleep much of the time. You can get 200 individually wrapped pair in box for about $20 at Damazon. Good to keep handy all the time. ;)

I've tried a billion different ear plugs. I've even got in on kick-starter campaign earplugs that were supposed to be revolutionary. (they weren't).

I very often use the 3M 1100s because they are a great combo of fairly high db protection, comfort and discrete.

(I also use custom molded "musicians ear plugs - great for more flat response, not as good for very loud sounds).

At least for my ears, in terms of blocking out the most sound, I give that to the ever popular Max earplugs:

https://www.amazon.ca/Howard-Leight-MAX-1-Uncorded-Earplugs/dp/B0013A0C0Y

I absolutely HATE that they come in day-glo colours so everyone within a mile can see you wearing them. I tend to darken the outside with a marker making them much less visible.

Burning Sounds

Addicted to Fun and Learning
When I first started out in photojournalism in the 70s we would go over to the presses at the end of the day to get the first runs and admire our handiwork :D The floor shook from those big Heidelberg presses. No-one wore ear protectors.

Luckily, my hearing doesn't seem to have suffered too badly, although now at 69 there's not much above 14Khz.

If you want a good read (if the story of a music journalist's battle with tinnitus can be called a "good read") get a copy of Nick Coleman's Train in the Night. I found it quite inspiring.

Tinnitus; I suffered from mild tinnitus after I was hit with a golfball to the back of the head last year, this morning it was really strong ,souding
like a strong hiss , I contemplated making an appointment with my physician .
This evening the hiss has completely disappeared , I keep listening for the hiss, nothing ,I live 15 minutes out of town , so dead quiet
here, no hiss, I can't believe it just went away so I'll keep listening for it, I hope it stays away.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Tinnitus; I suffered from mild tinnitus after I was hit with a golfball to the back of the head last year, this morning it was really strong ,souding
like a strong hiss , I contemplated making an appointment with my physician .
This evening the hiss has completely disappeared , I keep listening for the hiss, nothing ,I live 15 minutes out of town , so dead quiet
here, no hiss, I can't believe it just went away so I'll keep listening for it, I hope it stays away.

My long-time tinnitus waxes and wanes in apparent loudness, mostly I think due to the attention I pay to it or not.

But there has been just a few times, maybe 3 times over the last 20 years, where it completely disappeared. As in, hearing silence for the first time. Listening for ringing and not being able to hear any. I'd walk around my house in wonder, just listening to the sound of silence. But after a while, say 1/2 hour or so, it would gradually come back.

typericey

I worry about hearing loss too because I love music and the audio hobby.

In my youth I've been very reckless with my ears: listening to Walkmans for extended periods (although at moderate levels) and then getting into car audio--as soon as I got my license--with "annoy the neighbors" subwoofers, until my early 30's (yeah, I know :rolleyes:). I'm now 42 and have since become more careful with my hearing.

I now have mild but constant tinnitus, like a faint 8 or 10khz pink noise but I've learned to live with it. Too afraid to go take a hearing test and face the truth but fortunately in conversations I have yet to ask people to repeat what they said so I think it's all good for now. I pray that my hearing stays with me as long as possible.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
How to destroy your hearing: Loud music, shotgun blasts, even with hearing protection, lots of scuba diving in seriously deep water, old age.

Sergei

Forum Donor
Lately, the tinnitus seems to correlate with days when I spend a lot of time on the phone. I'm trying to train myself to use speaker or use my right ear. The tinnitus comes and goes. Dr. saw no tumors or anything. Has no idea what's going on.

I'm not a certified audiologist. Yet I believe I know enough to take seriously what you are describing. Some years ago I had to spend significant amount of time in conference calls. I noticed that my hearing was changing, and not to the best, after days with especially long calls.

I traced the culprit: sharp peaks in the frequency response - most likely resonances - exhibited by the company-issued phone gear I was using. So, no matter to how soft I tried to adjust the sound, the peaks would still grind too hard on narrow bands of my cochlea.

My investigation uncovered that there are at least two categories of people to whom this is an occupational hazard: call center employees, and devoted PC gamers. I ended up buying https://www.plantronics.com/us/en/product/shr-2083-01, which served me well.

Nowadays, I guess high-end gaming headsets are even better, and definitely cheaper: https://www.techradar.com/news/computing-components/best-pc-gaming-headset-1322675.

Tim

FYI for anyone suffering from Tinnitus, there is new technology that may help. First the University of Michigan has developed a treatment, they are in the process of having a wider test group. Also this company has an FDA cleared device as well.
https://otoharmonics.com/tinnitus

How to destroy your hearing: Loud music, shotgun blasts, even with hearing protection, lots of scuba diving in seriously deep water, old age.
I have 2 possible sources of hearing problems besides the golf ball to the back of the head,
As a pilot , I have alway used sealing headphones.
As a musician,I have been only around acoustic instruments , no amplification.
My tinnitus has not yet returned , I am hoping it stays that way.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have 2 possible sources of hearing problems besides the golf ball to the back of the head,

Ouch, but nothing like an axe... That's what they did to Trotsky.

Sergei

Forum Donor
FYI for anyone suffering from Tinnitus, there is new technology that may help. First the University of Michigan has developed a treatment, they are in the process of having a wider test group. Also this company has an FDA cleared device as well.
https://otoharmonics.com/tinnitus

It is good that the site you referred to advises using this device, and by extension similar devices, only by prescription, under supervision of a certified audiologist. I was curious about how such devices work, and did some digging. The best understanding I came to so far: they could be similar to tooth extraction, or any other surgery that removes a damaged part of human body.

For the background information, you can read https://health.uconn.edu/meds5377/w...7/07/PALMER-Auditory-Nerve-Physiology-ARP.pdf. Notice the three types of nerve fibers, best described on a slide with caption "At each frequency, auditory nerve fibres differ in their spontaneous rate, input/output function and dynamic range - these covary."

The graphs refer to guinea pig, yet it's been proven that human hearing system works in a very similar way: there are three types of fibers, responsible for transmitting information about very faint, medium-intensity, and high-intensity sounds.

I believe that the fibers responsible for the very faint sounds fail first in modern humans, because we barely have times and places of nearly-complete silence, which would give such fibers a chance to recover. The fibers responsible for high-intensity sounds are much more robust, and I believe that those fibers are the ones staying operational throughout the lives of most people.

A failing fiber - or perhaps a failing neural structure connecting such fiber to inner hair cell - may result in a loss of function, which may be accompanied by a Phantom Limb phenomenon (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phantom_limb), auditory manifesting as tinnitus . The neurophysiology of that process in humans is still not completely understood, so please take everything I said with a huge grain of salt.

Still, you may consider discussing your objectives with your audiologist, before subjecting yourself to this procedure. Indeed, if the symptoms are never-ceasing and severe, and there is no hope of restoring the function, it could be the best to "sonically amputate" the most sensitive and/or mid-sensitive fibers. If, however, your case is borderline, and there is a hope for recovery, you may consider giving those sensitive fibers a rest instead.

ADDITION:

It could also be that the sensitive fibers are in effect already "amputated" by prior events, and the procedure works through remapping the sensitivity for medium-intense sounds into the still surviving more robust fibers. In any case, please consult with an audiologist who can intelligently answer your questions about the healing mechanism he or she thinks will be actually working in your case.

And the corollary to it all: please don't try to self-heal with white or pink noise, or with a commodity bedside ocean waves sound machine. You may be healing, or may be conducting an unintended surgical procedure on yourself. At least giving the hair cells and audio nerve fibers a rest from all sounds, even if perceptually increasing a sensation of tinnitus, is physiologically safer.

Last edited:

GrimSurfer

Major Contributor
Ouch, but nothing like an axe... That's what they did to Trotsky.

Yeah, but Trotsky's ears didn't ring for very long so he may not have suffered any permanent hearing damage ;-)

GrimSurfer

Major Contributor

Former Navy Diver. Rock music listener. Shade tree mechanic and handyman. Yup. I'd say that should just about do it!

fitero

Let me share my own stupidity;

During the Gulf War I worked on the flight-line on aircraft. During the intense activity, the required dual hearing protection were often ignored. I can remember the day when I was surprised that the nearby screech of the F-16 engines didn't seem to bother me without hearing protection. I can also remember lying in bed that night wondering about that constant screech that I was hearing in my head. I thought that I might have always had it, and that maybe it was just the sound of blood flowing.
Now, many years later I still have that multi-frequency screech in my head, 24/7, and what's worse is that the frequency loss in the vocal range is uneven, causing a hearing in-balance that I can't fix with equalization or balance controls. Through youthful bravado I've managed to prejudice one of my most precious joys; listening to my stereo. How foolish.

I posted the same message on another website awhile ago

GrimSurfer

Major Contributor
Let me share my own stupidity;

During the Gulf War I worked on the flight-line on aircraft. During the intense activity, the required dual hearing protection were often ignored. I can remember the day when I was surprised that the nearby screech of the F-16 engines didn't seem to bother me without hearing protection. I can also remember lying in bed that night wondering about that constant screech that I was hearing in my head. I thought that I might have always had it, and that maybe it was just the sound of blood flowing.
Now, many years later I still have that multi-frequency screech in my head, 24/7, and what's worse is that the frequency loss in the vocal range is uneven, causing a hearing in-balance that I can't fix with equalization or balance controls. Through youthful bravado I've managed to prejudice one of my most precious joys; listening to my stereo. How foolish.

I posted the same message on another website awhile ago

When your biggest concern is somebody dropping a SCUD with a chemical warhead on your airbase, the focus is more on preparing the next sortie of friendly aircraft than hearing protection. Understandable... and certainly not stupidity. More like youthful mission focus and serving your country in time of war.

I have mild tinnitus, which fades below my brain's noise floor when I play well recorded music or am surfing. My hearing range isn't what it once was though. Maybe it was the mefloquine, stretched ear drums on cold water dives, naval gunfire or the constant white noise while surfing.

One way or another, life has a way of wearing you out...

Last edited:
Just found this thread and I thought I'd contribute as well. I'm in my 40's and have had tinnitus twice. The first time was about 10 years ago and it went away after a while. The second instance started about 2-3 years ago and I fear that it'll with me for the long term. I hear a hiss in my left ear, similar to a cassette hiss but more subtle. At the beginning it drove me crazy but I've learned to accept it and live with it.

Jim777

Forum Donor
If you go for an electronic solution, I'd consider the new Sony WF-1000XM3 noise canceling earbuds, they have configuration options for environmental sound and a fast temporary disable mode. The issue I see with devices for shooting is that they are designed to let everything through except loud impulses, which is a different objective entirely.

Top Bottom