• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Headphones with multiple drivers left and right for surround sound?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
In used to use these Zalman ZM-RF6Z surround sound headphones. They went reallly effin loud and did seem to have some sort of additional airy presentation. Is this even possible as a design to create surround sound so close to the ear?
clear.jpg

3.jpg

1.jpg

5.jpg

4.jpg

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Zalman, what a brand they were in the DIY computer space.

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My first ever build was a Zalman Case with DFI motherboard and two giant Thermaltake tornado fans that pushed an absurd amount of CFM's and were 90dB or some loud. I remember that cooling tower design of the AIO.

OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
My first ever build was a Zalman Case with DFI motherboard and two giant Thermaltake tornado fans that pushed an absurd amount of CFM's and were 90dB or some loud. I remember that cooling tower design of the AIO.
I followed the water cooling scene for years. I never read a bad review of it nor complaints about it. For what it is, it's apparently great. Dead silent water cooling for overclocking if desired. :D I wonder what the pump specs @. If it is DIY range of pressure and volume. I run a Corsair iCUE H115i RGB PRO XT Liquid CPU Cooler. I got it from a warranty claim/replacement situation from Corsair in California. It seems to work good and looks good too. Dual 140mm fans in a clamshell arrangement with 1- 200mm fan. Next cooler purchase will be back to forced air.
-CW-9060044-WW-Gallery-H115i-RGB-PRO-XT-01.png

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I followed the water cooling scene for years. I never read a bad review of it nor complaints about it. For what it is, it's apparently great. Dead silent water cooling for overclocking if desired. :D I wonder what the pump specs @. If it is DIY range of pressure and volume. I run a Corsair iCUE H115i RGB PRO XT Liquid CPU Cooler. I got it from a warranty claim/replacement situation from Corsair in California. It seems to work good and looks good too. Dual 140mm fans in a clamshell arrangement with 1- 200mm fan. Next cooler purchase will be back to forced air.
-CW-9060044-WW-Gallery-H115i-RGB-PRO-XT-01.png
Water cooling kits today are great performers for casual overclocking needs. Silent and efficient to say the least.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
Is this even possible as a design to create surround sound so close to the ear?
It can have some effect but it usually doesn't work very well. It's not really the distance... Usually we turn our head, sometimes consciously, sometimes subconsciously, and sometimes to "look" to see where the sound is coming from. That gives multiple triangulations to help locate the source of the sound. Obviously that doesn't work with (regular) headphones.

There are a few head tracking headphones that change when you move your head. I've never tried those, and the ones I've seen (online) are expensive. But logically, that should work.

I've tried Dolby Headphone (with regular headphones) with a 5.1 track and I did NOT get the impression of sounds coming from behind. I have a test-DVD that plays one speaker at a time. To be fair, Dolby doesn't claim it makes surround... They just say something like it "enhancing the experience" with headphones and a surround-sound track.

OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Usually we turn our head, (sometimes consciously, sometimes subconsciously, and sometimes to "look" to see where the sound is coming from. That gives multiple triangulations to help locate the source of the sound. Obviously that doesn't work with (regular) headphones.
With the Zalman headphones there was a sense of distance (So there must have been triangulation?) and front to rear in rare situations and they where a novelty item. Cool at the time. As I mentioned they are the loudest headphone I have ever heard and that was running off a ASUS motherboard of the time.

Top Bottom