• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

HD800s and Topping EX5 not producing sound from PC - is my setup wrong?

AmalfiMan

Hello - I’m new to dac/amps and I really need your help.
The HD800s just arrived today and it’s connected vis the 6.3mm plug to the front of the Topping ex5 dac/amp combo.

From the back of the dac/amp, the USB port is connected to a 2022 build PC’s MSI mobo USB port. The ex5 is powered by it’s included power cord and unit is ON with the display showing the volume number and the USB tab.

From the windows 11 settings, the sound is set with the ex5, at 100% volume. When I play a youtube video, and with the browser volume at 100%, I still get no sound.

Propheticus

Years of IT support taught me to first check the obvious*: does the display show "PRE" ? It could be in its pre (line)out mode. If yes, press the headphone on your remote or double-click the rotary knob to switch output mode.
And -almost awkward to ask- hopefully the top right of the display does not read "mute"?

*Please don't take offense if these make you go "how stupid do you think I am?" it helps to first rule out the basics before looking for complicated explanations.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello - I’m new to dac/amps and I really need your help.
The HD800s just arrived today and it’s connected vis the 6.3mm plug to the front of the Topping ex5 dac/amp combo.

From the back of the dac/amp, the USB port is connected to a 2022 build PC’s MSI mobo USB port. The ex5 is powered by it’s included power cord and unit is ON with the display showing the volume number and the USB tab.

From the windows 11 settings, the sound is set with the ex5, at 100% volume. When I play a youtube video, and with the browser volume at 100%, I still get no sound.
Check the windows sound settings - is the EX5 the default audio device? If not, make it so.

OP
AmalfiMan

AmalfiMan

Years of IT support taught me to first check the obvious*: does the display show "PRE" ? It could be in its pre (line)out mode. If yes, press the headphone on your remote or double-click the rotary knob to switch output mode.
And -almost awkward to ask- hopefully the top right of the display does not read "mute"?

*Please don't take offense if these make you go "how stupid do you think I am?" it helps to first rule out the basics before looking for complicated explanations.
You are right, i needed the remote to get it to work. There is a button with a headphone icon. The screen now shows this icon and that enabled it. All good.

Top Bottom