• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

HD6XX and Drop question

KR22

Hello,

I have a couple of questions if I may:

1. Is the HD6XX really as good as the HD650? 2. Is Drop a reliable seller?

In other words, should I buy it, or should I spend twice more and get the HD650 (or 600, maybe)?

Thank you.

dfuller

Major Contributor
1. Same exact headphones with a different paint job.
2. Yep.

Wolkenstein

Drop is a legit seller, but their wait times can be VERY long. So if you do order a 6XX from them, be prepared to wait a while before it ships.

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello,

I have a couple of questions if I may:

1. Is the HD6XX really as good as the HD650? 2. Is Drop a reliable seller?

In other words, should I buy it, or should I spend twice more and get the HD650 (or 600, maybe)?

Thank you.
For number 2, it depends what they are selling, but the 6XX is fine.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Are you US based? If not you will likely have to pay your countries equivalent of VAT/ sales tax , plus import duties and handling fee after purchase to release your items from customs at your end. In the UK, this equates to around 25-30 % of the initial purchase costs in local currency but YMMV. That may not make it much cheaper than the HD650 in your market .

They are functionally identical, cosmetically different.

Long lead times are not an issue if badged "in stock" but can be forever when they have to place a bulk order from the maker, as others have said. Usually takes around a week from order to receipt in local country if in stock but oversees shipping.

Robin L

Master Contributor
The 6XX is really good. I take it on faith [And Solderdude's reviews] that the 6XX is a HD 650. The 6XX is very smooth and detailed. The bass cuts off early, so they really need EQ. An amp with a little "oomph" into higher impedances also helps. The sound pretty much sticks to the earcups, so don't expect much "out of head" imaging. Do expect to hear less distortion.

DuxServit

Forum Donor
Occasionally Amazon-US has the HD650 for under $300. Just need to keep an eye.

Brianc

I have the 6xx. Great headphones for vocals. Agree with others the soundstage is narrow for an open-back. Having heard HiFiMan Sundaras, I would buy those instead of the 650s at their typical price (around $300). The Sundaras aren't as comfortable as the Senns but sound better overall. But for $200 on Drop the 6xx is a relative bargain.

Tks

Major Contributor
The only reason beyond aesthetics to get an HD650 over a HD6XX is warranty. Drop refuses ALL SERVICE past the warranty date. Even if you offer to pay for any repairs needed, they will refuse because they offer no such service in any capacity. Failures within the warranty period result in a complete swap of the device (you get another pair). Outside of warranty, you're straight out of luck with Drop.

Which makes me feel bad for all the unfortunate folks willing to buy an HD8XX (no balanced cable, and no warranty at all after the period, which is insane on a headphone of it's cost).

dufferdan

The only reason beyond aesthetics to get an HD650 over a HD6XX is warranty. Drop refuses ALL SERVICE past the warranty date. Even if you offer to pay for any repairs needed, they will refuse because they offer no such service in any capacity. Failures within the warranty period result in a complete swap of the device (you get another pair). Outside of warranty, you're straight out of luck with Drop.

Which makes me feel bad for all the unfortunate folks willing to buy an HD8XX (no balanced cable, and no warranty at all after the period, which is insane on a headphone of it's cost).
What I will say, though I am not sure if it applies to Drop items, if you keep your packaging, Seinnheiser really stands behind their products. My son had a relatively inexpensive pair of monitoring headphones which had a tendency to break at the hosel between strap and cup. I found the issue online, sent a note to Seinnheiser, they came back, yeah, known issue. For a nominal fee, I think 50 or 100 bucks the cans were replaced. So going to Seinnheiser might, not sure, but might, be a solution.

Top Bottom