• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Has the headphone stuff (headfi) becoming ridiculously expensive?

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Im not going anywhere near a discussion as to whether an AKG 371 is as good / better than an Audeze LCD X/Y/Z. To each their own
But you would prefer an AKG 371 to an Ultrasone 10, wouldn't you? ;):D

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As for why these very expensive products exist, allow me to share a life lesson someone taught me on another forum: The topic of the post was something like "$10K to spend on an amplifier, what should I get?". Based on the information provided, I figured that a much less expensive amplifier would be an ideal choice, and I think I suggested a $1500 product. His response? "I did not ask for your opinion on a $1500 amplifier: If you do not have recommendations for a $10K amplifier, I am not interested in your opinion". I think this is why we have "hypercars", The Robb Report, and wristwatches with 7-figure price tags: It's supposed to be part of a more rarified life not accessible to mere mortals, and clearly I wasn't part of it.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
But you would prefer an AKG 371 to an Ultrasone 10, wouldn't you? ;):D

I'd prefer castration to 5 minutes with those. Side note- I got a pair of their IEM on a "good" deal from Amazon Warehouse.

Fastest return I ever did.

I dont doubt price and performance are not linear in the HP market. But I also firmly believe a "good" £1000 HP is almost always superior to a "good" £150 HP as a long term part of ones kit. Buit there a few things worse than a "bad" expensive headphone.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
a "good" £1000 HP
Yes, although with "good" you filter already out the masses of overpriced "voodoo highend" audio which causes that poor correlation ;) , meaning that of course you can find also few great expensive stuff but that doesn't negate though the overall statistical trend.

Zensō

Major Contributor
As for why these very expensive products exist, allow me to share a life lesson someone taught me on another forum: The topic of the post was something like "$10K to spend on an amplifier, what should I get?". Based on the information provided, I figured that a much less expensive amplifier would be an ideal choice, and I think I suggested a $1500 product. His response? "I did not ask for your opinion on a $1500 amplifier: If you do not have recommendations for a $10K amplifier, I am not interested in your opinion". I think this is why we have "hypercars", The Robb Report, and wristwatches with 7-figure price tags: It's supposed to be part of a more rarified life not accessible to mere mortals, and clearly I wasn't part of it.

Agreed. Sadly, high end audio is just another form of status signaling. Unless someone wants to pay a very hefty tax to use audio gear to show off their wealth, they’re much better off staying in the low- to mid-fi end of the market.

suttondesign

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Until Audeze made the LCD-2, there were no true bass-rich, low-distortion headphones. $1,000 then, $800 now. Stunning, but heavy.
However, Etymotic innovated with IEM’s 20 years ago or more, a full-spectrum transducer. $350.
Having heard many headphones, the core greats at reasonable prices are really few. Senn HD800, Audeze LCD-2, Focal Clear, and Ety. Everything else are variations on these themes.

Neutron

Until Audeze made the LCD-2, there were no true bass-rich, low-distortion headphones. $1,000 then, $800 now. Stunning, but heavy.
However, Etymotic innovated with IEM’s 20 years ago or more, a full-spectrum transducer. $350.
Having heard many headphones, the core greats at reasonable prices are really few. Senn HD800, Audeze LCD-2, Focal Clear, and Ety. Everything else are variations on these themes.

I actually grab a pair of er4sr at $199. I was in love with their er4pt since 10 years ago. The new ones are really worhwhile. But they are kinda out-shined by many other shiny pricy IEMs in the market lately, not in SQ.

OP
D

david85

i just came home from shopping , visited some local headphone shops and affirmed my 1st post. So many new brands of iems selling at outrageous prices. 64 audio ,empire ears ,hidition to name a few..... Geez i'd rather spend few thousand on full size headphones of an established brand like sennheiser and stax than those iems of obscure, out of nowhere brands

Last edited:

Neutron

i just came home from shopping , visited some local headphone shops and affirmed my 1st post. So many new brands of iems selling at outrageous prices. 64 audio ,empire ears ,hidition to name a few..... Geez i'd rather spend few thousand on full size headphones of an established brand like sennheiser and stax than those iems of obscure, out of nowhere brands

That was my thought since 10 years ago. Above $400 USD, it is better to look at larger systems for better experience. But people are showing strong interest in smaller systems all these years. Maybe convenience matters more now.

Tom C

Major Contributor
Has anyone heard the KLH Ultimate One? I’m intrigued by Be drivers and leather ear pads at a not crazy price.

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor
As far as I'm concerned, anyone spending more than a grand on a headphone setup is a sucker in the classic PT Barnum sense. A $55000 set of headphones is zany...like a $2000 tooth brush or something. I don't care what kind of magic pixie dust might be claimed to account for the cost, there's no way your teeth are getting cleaned $1999 better. Honestly, right now $500 gets you a headphone rig that can stand up against pretty much anything as far as sound quality is concerned.

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
As far as I'm concerned, anyone spending more than a grand on a headphone setup is a sucker in the classic PT Barnum sense. Honestly, right now $500 gets you a headphone rig that can stand up against pretty much anything as far as sound quality is concerned.

Im assuming usual suspects for DAC/amp that accounts for say $250- so what cans for the other half?

KeithPhantom

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Agreed. Sadly, high end audio is just another form of status signaling. Unless someone wants to pay a very hefty tax to use audio gear to show off their wealth, they’re much better off staying in the low- to mid-fi end of the market.
When my Clear Professional is simply "upper mid-fi", you know that shit hit the fan...

I am maliciously trying to find any faults with my headphones, but after trying a bunch of headphones during these months, I can say these do not have raised a single objection from me. I'm trying my best to find something they're not good at, but I seriously can't. I even found faults on the Utopias (that "accented treble"), but with these is pretty hard next to impossible to me. I listen to some of the classical I like (ballads and the such), they are great, hip-hop, they are great, rock, the same story, jazz, they handle it like a breeze. Everyone has their taste, but I don't think you have to spend north to $4,000 for getting really good sound.

Last edited:

Blujackaal

I actually grab a pair of er4sr at $199. I was in love with their er4pt since 10 years ago. The new ones are really worhwhile. But they are kinda out-shined by many other shiny pricy IEMs in the market lately, not in SQ.

And the ones that hype/shill them are annoying. I share how the ER4SR responds great to EQ, They just show up flexing their pricey IEMs & assume i must be lying because I'm too poor. Then as usual by 2 weeks later there shilling another few headphones, When called out they act as if they never liked it old one. Which is almost cringy that they waste £500+ on gear they don't even fully like but can say unless they get hounded like the Campfire fans did on Head fi.

MRC01

Major Contributor
... I splurged a little and bought HD650 seven years ago.
I considered them "The Safe Choice".
Haven't worried about it since.
I like them.
I splurged 21 years ago and bought HD580. I still have them. Several earpad, headband pad and replacement cables later, they still sound good and perform like new. And their measurements are still considered respectable. They were ahead of their time.

I also own a pair of Audeze LCD-2F. They sound 10% better than the HD580 for 4x the price. The price/performance curve has never been linear. But they do measure well and are well engineered. I think this -- measured performance, the level of engineering put into a product -- is an important point separating true "high fidelity" from blingy conspicuous consumption showing off how much money one has.

The same dollar today buys so much better sound quality than it did 20 or even 10 years ago. That's fantastic! Even if the super high end has gotten even more ridiculous, at least we have this pragmatic offset for those who care more about sound quality than bling.

Robin L

Master Contributor
Im assuming usual suspects for DAC/amp that accounts for say $250- so what cans for the other half?
I'm going for the Drop 6XX myself, supposed to show up next week. I've got the first half of the Topping "30" stacklette, the amp, the DAC is supposed to arrive tomorrow.

Top Bottom