• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Has anyone tried the Moondrop Aria?

oleg87

Got my pair in the mail today, have been listening to them for the last hour or so... for 80 bucks, I have no complaints. To my ears they sound considerably more neutral than the much-hyped Truthear Zero's, not muffled and honky like my previous go-to ER2XRs, just a pretty well-balanced sound that doesn't leave me itching to EQ it in any major way. Not mind-blowing or anything, but in my quest to find affordable in-ears that don't sound jarringly different from my trusty HD600s EQ-nudged towards the Harman target, these are reasonably close.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I learned to look for sound signatures described and measured as "inoffensive all-rounder", and Aria is one of those.

asrUser

Got my pair in the mail today, have been listening to them for the last hour or so... for 80 bucks, I have no complaints. To my ears they sound considerably more neutral than the much-hyped Truthear Zero's, not muffled and honky like my previous go-to ER2XRs, just a pretty well-balanced sound that doesn't leave me itching to EQ it in any major way. Not mind-blowing or anything, but in my quest to find affordable in-ears that don't sound jarringly different from my trusty HD600s EQ-nudged towards the Harman target, these are reasonably close.
The Aria 2021 are pretty much good IEMs as they are. If you want to EQ them I'd suggest trying an Oratory profile for Starfields since they are almost the same. Tried it and it's a good base for EQ.

Yup the Truthears are hyped af. @amirm never reviewed the Aria. Guess what would happen if he did. :p

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Agree. The Dusk would follow the bass and mids of Harman without the infamous extra shout in the pinna gain.

Normalized at 500 Hz.

graph (4).png

oleg87

I'm curious, are these things rough on the ears for anyone else? I get this high-frequency ringing in my ears after listening to them for a few hours at what seems like a fairly reasonable volume, a little bit like after I go to loud concert (most of my listening is with over-ears which I don't get ringing from). My high-frequency hearing isn't amazing so I'm worried these things may be giving me hearing damage from some nasty peak at the threshold of my audibility (or for some reason I'm worse at gauging what's a safe volume with IEMs?)

Last edited:

asrUser

I'm curious, are these things rough on the ears for anyone else? I get this high-frequency ringing in my ears after listening to them for a few hours at what seems like a fairly reasonable volume, a little bit like after I go to loud concert (most of my listening is with over-ears which I don't get ringing from). My high-frequency hearing isn't amazing so I'm worried these things may be giving me hearing damage from some nasty peak at the threshold of my audibility (or for some reason I'm worse at gauging what's a safe volume with IEMs?)
I mostly hear the Aria 2021 with Starfield EQ from Oratory. Sometimes I get some humming from several headphones, but it disappears quickly. Not sure if it's from Aria or other headphones, but I don't care as I don't hear very loud. Loud concerts give me louder humming for some days which is a huge difference!
Do you experience the problem with other IEMs as well? It could also be what kind of music you listen to. Some are very bright. Maybe it's time to get a similar coupler like Crinacle to measure IEMs? I'm going to buy one.

Last edited:

Grim

Guys I have a problem: I have a pair of starfield which I love so much but the left tip always slide off after little time and that's something i HATE cause the sound lose a lot. Is not something new cause is basically happen with all earbuds and all tips i had, except the ones with earhooks (like the Bose soundsport free) So here the question: does anybody know some tips with earhooks compatible with the starfield? specific or universal. I've searched on Amazon and AliExpress but i didn't find anything suitable, at least appearently. Help me, I'm kinda desperate.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Guys I have a problem: I have a pair of starfield which I love so much but the left tip always slide off after little time and that's something i HATE cause the sound lose a lot. Is not something new cause is basically happen with all earbuds and all tips i had, except the ones with earhooks (like the Bose soundsport free) So here the question: does anybody know some tips with earhooks compatible with the starfield? specific or universal. I've searched on Amazon and AliExpress but i didn't find anything suitable, at least appearently. Help me, I'm kinda desperate.
I doubt you'll find any unless you can somehow shoehorn some of those bose tips onto the Starfield. But I think that would just break other areas of the fit of the shell into your left ear.

I m assuming you've tried using a different sized tip on your left ear than right, a bigger one perhaps?

Grim

I doubt you'll find any unless you can somehow shoehorn some of those bose tips onto the Starfield. But I think that would just break other areas of the fit of the shell into your left ear.

I m assuming you've tried using a different sized tip on your left ear than right, a bigger one perhaps?
Yes..I did try different tips from ear to ear but is not helping.. I suppose my left ear have some inner weird shape who spit earbuds out. The Bose tips have some weird attachment specific for them, impossible to put on anywhere else. It look like sawed in half

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes..I did try different tips from ear to ear but is not helping.. I suppose my left ear have some inner weird shape who spit earbuds out. The Bose tips have some weird attachment specific for them, impossible to put on anywhere else. It look like sawed in half
Yes I saw the Bose model. Very unusual design and not one I think you could replicate on a "standard" shaped iem like the Aria /moondrop. Maybe you should look at some custom shells /tips? Also, assume you've tried the comply memory foam style ones?

Grim

Yes I saw the Bose model. Very unusual design and not one I think you could replicate on a "standard" shaped iem like the Aria /moondrop. Maybe you should look at some custom shells /tips? Also, assume you've tried the comply memory foam style ones?
Custom how? Would be cool something like that for airpods, which wrap around and fit the ear. https://amzn.eu/d/2a5PghW

Is kinda weird tho...do not provide any tool to keep them steady, I mean their not nearly as famous as airpods but are expensive earbuds

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Custom how? Would be cool something like that for airpods, which wrap around and fit the ear. https://amzn.eu/d/2a5PghW

Is kinda weird tho...do not provide any tool to keep them steady, I mean their not nearly as famous as airpods but are expensive earbuds
The hook on the cable combined with a well fitting tip is meant to keep them in place. No scope in that design for additional bits on the tips themselves

Others will chime in on custom tips and how you can (or can't) apply to this design. Basically a mould of your inner ear turned into something that goes on the barrel of the iem ear tube. @staticV3 has some I believe but maybe for etymotic iem

staticV3

Master Contributor

Rextilleon

@Grim you can order custom ear tips for the Starfield here: https://www.adv-sound.com/products/eartune-fidelity-custom-fit-eartips
But that's a lengthy and expensive process.

Two ear tips that have helped other people in similar situations are the Radius Deep Mount and Azla Xelastec. The latter are made of a really grippy material so stay in place well, plus they come in very granular sizes.
Kind of tried everything with the Aryas. Just can't get a good seal (tried suggestions) and without them fitting and sealing you lose most of the base and the treble becomes unlistenable.

phoenixsong

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Kind of tried everything with the Aryas. Just can't get a good seal (tried suggestions) and without them fitting and sealing you lose most of the base and the treble becomes unlistenable.
Hang on, I believe the Aryas and Arias are very different products :p

Top Bottom