• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hans Zimmer: Live in Prague, Blu-Ray 2017 - Pushed my HT to the MAX unlike ANY movie I've ever played

FriedChicken

Ho-ly - shit. Nothing NOTHING I have EVER played has stressed my system this much. I was in legitimate fear that I would blow the breaker, and I'm now seriously considering finding another outlet to plug in the plasma TV or something to relieve the pressure on the single outlet.

When I mean pushes the system, I mean IT PUSHES THE SYSTEM. If you have ANY weakness in your HT; Bad TV: Poor dynamic range, poor pixel response, bad blacks, bad power supply Bad Audio: poor separation, underpowered surrounds, undersized surrounds, too small filter caps in your amps, not enough amps, too high a noise floor, poor calibration, too small speakers, poor sustained power output, poor peak power output, no low-frequency subwoofers, poor subwoofer amplification, poor cabinets, poor design; This Concert will reveal it.

I'm not kidding when I said I feared for my breaker. I don't want to give away what's contained on this disc, but be forewarned. I finally capitulated and lowered the volume when I could smell my electronics.
81qnCY3GlJL._SL1500_-1.jpg

Last edited:

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Ho-ly - shit. Nothing NOTHING I have EVER played has stressed my system this much. I was in legitimate fear that I would blow the breaker, and I'm now seriously considering finding another outlet to plug in the plasma TV or something to relieve the pressure on the single outlet.

When I mean pushes the system, I mean IT PUSHES THE SYSTEM. If you have ANY weakness in your HT; Bad TV: Poor dynamic range, poor pixel response, bad blacks, bad power supply Bad Audio: poor separation, underpowered surrounds, undersized surrounds, too small filter caps in your amps, not enough amps, too high a noise floor, poor calibration, too small speakers, poor sustained power output, poor peak power output, no low-frequency subwoofers, poor subwoofer amplification, poor cabinets, poor design; This Concert will reveal it.

I'm not kidding when I said I feared for my breaker. I don't want to give away what's contained on this disc, but be forewarned. I finally capitulated and lowered the volume when I could smell my electronics.
Try Mahler’s 8th, Holst’s Mars :)

okaudio

I enjoyed the Prague recording as well, definitely had the sub engaged for that performance!

Vini darko

Major Contributor

Ah the smell of boiling electronics and voice coils heedy stuff. I don't have a TH or a blue ray player so I'll take your word for it.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Chester

His concerts are also reported to be very loud…. sounds like ripping good fun old boy! Cherish those experiences.

OP
F

FriedChicken

Try Mahler’s 8th, Holst’s Mars :)

No. You don't get it.

This is mixed in surround pulling NO stops. Like I said, I've put a lot of heavy stuff on the sound system. Gladiator opening scene. Muse in the Colosseum. Countless movies. Many other concert recordings mixed in surround. Everything stereo you can imagine. TThis pushes the full home theater to its limits. Every single device/speaker/amplifier connected will be pushed to its limit of power, fidelity, clarity, everything. Anything you have hooked up will be pushed to the limit.

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
This Blade Runner 2049 sound track is pretty fun too. Should give your sub a good workout.

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
No. You don't get it.

This is mixed in surround pulling NO stops. Like I said, I've put a lot of heavy stuff on the sound system. Gladiator opening scene. Muse in the Colosseum. Countless movies. Many other concert recordings mixed in surround. Everything stereo you can imagine. TThis pushes the full home theater to its limits. Every single device/speaker/amplifier connected will be pushed to its limit of power, fidelity, clarity, everything. Anything you have hooked up will be pushed to the limit.
Yes indeed. The UHD audio was sublime and incredibly powerful. Video was Reference level as well. Lots of fun cranking this one up. It will give your kit a workout. Five Stars review.

Offler

I purchased my current system so watching movie such as Blade Runner 2049 would sound adequate to the image quality. Now when Dune is out, i am happy with the results and this seems like a nice challenge :D

OP
F

FriedChicken

I purchased my current system so watching movie such as Blade Runner 2049 would sound adequate to the image quality. Now when Dune is out, i am happy with the results and this seems like a nice challenge :D
Please report back with your results

Vini darko

Major Contributor
Having a listen on headphones now (it's way to late for speakers) very enjoyable recording and I'm liking the music too. Can see how it would be a fun experience with surround sound and subs.

giuppo77

I fully agree with the OP: excellent BR. That is definitely one of the best concerts I have ever listened to in terms of audio/video quality (probably together with David G., Live in Pompeii and Muse, live in Rome). For my personal taste, the sub is a little bit too hot. Otherwise, one the few recordings that really lets me fully enjoy my system.

OP
F

FriedChicken

This Blade Runner 2049 sound track is pretty fun too. Should give your sub a good workout.

I don't think you understand. The way the surround sound was mastered, *every* speaker gets hit. Turns out my "large" speakers aren't actually that large lol

ribonucleic

Herr Zimmer's "music" stresses me pretty hard too.

I am probably one of the few people who booed his appearance in the end credits of Dunkirk.

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Herr Zimmer's "music" stresses me pretty hard too.

I am probably one of the few people who booed his appearance in the end credits of Dunkirk.
Well the actual events and setting of Dunkirk were very dark and incredibly stressful. Musical Movie sound tracks are supposed to impart the emotion and drama of the scenes presented. If you felt stressed I would say that Han Zimmer and his Musicians did a great job. ;)

Top Bottom