• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Ground Loop Problems - Solved

solderdude

Grand Contributor

mateematy

this one has 10x lower distortion.

The real question is whether or not the groundloop issue is because of the analog path or caused in the digital path.
When it is the latter an USB isolator may be a better solution.
I plugged the Zen DAC into my computer and noise appeared and when I plugged it in my laptop it disappeared. Also when plugged into the laptop as soon as I plugged my HDMI cable it started to make noise again.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Do you hear the sounds when the DAC is connected to the computer and listen to the headphone out of the Zen ?
I assumesthe Zen is normally connected to an amplifier via RCA out so you would have to connect and disconnect that amp (the RCA's) and only listen to the headphone out of the Zen.

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
A DAC with XLR outs may have helped in this case.
Chances are the Monacor may help as the groundloop path seems to be: 2xMains-2xT5V-Zen-PC-mains
That needs to be broken.
Best way would probably be in the digital path (maybe the ifi solution could work here) as the analog path introduces small amounts of distortion and limits bandwidth. The technical better solution could be the USB isolator.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
That one only breaks the 5V and not the culprit (the ground connection)
You will need galvanic separation (isolation). Maybe the ifi defender could work ?
When looking for galvanic isolators you need to be sure they reach at high enough bit rates. Some of them top out very low meaning you won't be able to play hires. Of course the Monacor also has a limited bandwidth.

Chances are a balanced connection between DAC and speaker may also solve this.

Top Bottom