• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Good value monitors for precise classical music listening

iMickey503

Forum Donor
I wonder if you can feel 26 Khz on your skin? Like from a Piezo?

I was doing test tones in my car the other day testing out some new tweeters, and though I could not Hear 19 Khz, it could feel something on my hand when I turned it up to max volume. On the RTA, it was showing that it was making (Forgot what it was called) Harmonics lower down in the spectrum. Or it could have just been distortion or driver break up.

I wonder if much of the fuss about super tweeters is just added distortion you are hearing from the harmonics? Its plausible. It also begs the question, is it possible that a tone at say, 26 Khz could damage hearing lower down in our range of hearing since there is still a sound pressure wave traveling in the air.

If that is so? Then I wonder if supertwetters making all that noise on some "HD Audio" tracks could lead to damaging your ears? Its something to really think about.

Jokerbre

After spending a good month selecting in vain for appropriate passive speakers, I think that I need outside advice to continue even before scheduling auditions.

The intended application:
Not entertainment but rather precise and professional listening to classical music in a 18 sq. meters bedroom.

Here are the entry requirements with decreasing preference:
(1) The speakers should be good for high quality FLAC recordings of classical music of all genres, including solo piano, solo violin, solo flute, concerts, symphonies and organ.
(2) The speakers should reproduce the recording precisely without "improving" it.
(3) The speakers should be made from non-toxic materials for as long as this does not compromise the sound quality in the sense of (1) and (2). I consider toxic any plastic (PP being the least evil), plywood-type materials (MDF being the least evil) and any glue.
(4) The speakers should be the cheapest among those which solve the problem.
(5) The speakers and all their parts should be made fully outside of the PRC.

It seems that I am looking for something one would call "monitors" with closed cabinets which confidently reproduce frequences up until 26kHz at least. I also hope that I can focus on bookshelves and that the entire system, including the amplifier will cost me not much more than 2000USD. Given the market reality, I do not believe that the requirement (5) has any hope to be satisfied so I mention it as a wish at the end. The same holds of course for glue and MDF in the construction of the cabinets. I have not decided on the material of the tweeters as there are so many conflicting views on this. I am not 100% sure that I need passive speakers.

For now I shortlisted the following models:
KEF Q150
DALI Oberon 1
DALI Zensor 3
DALI Spector 2
CYRUS OneLinear
FOCAL Chora 806
ELAC Debut 2.0 B5.2
ELAC Debut 2.0 B6.2
OPERA Mezza
AQ Wega 52
WRS MM6
PHONAR Veritas m4.2 NEXT

There are definitely many more options to consider. Could someone kindly help me to make a choice by sharing his or her thoughts about the models listed above or pointing out other options? How do they compare with each other from the point of view of my entry parameters?
Are you kidding? Toxic? Outside of PRC?

Top Bottom