• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Good article in the NewYork Times about Dolby Atmos

Zensō

Major Contributor
Here are a couple of pro systems. Obviously, both of these would be over-the-top for a home system or hobbyist studio. From what I’ve been told, these types of systems are primarily being used by filmmakers and a relatively small number of major label studios at this point.

Genelec at ~$50,000 + source:

Barefoot at ~$100,000:

IPunchCholla

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
a-Ha!
:)

I say this because there seemed to be folks earlier in this thread who felt at least somewhat otherwise.
e.g., https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...s-about-dolby-atmos.45822/page-3#post-1634706
I also note, wryly, that the cost has dropped $10k since page 3, so I guess the cost of goods is improving in a manner that's favorable to the consumer.

That said, I doubt that many on this forum are coppin' their hifi hardware from Best Buy or Walmart -- FWIW.
I could be wrong, though.
I have my reservations about Atmos, but the 50k figure is absurd. You can get a Focal based 7.1.4 system including processor for 12k. This would be plenty good for a small mixing room. Still too much for me, but not bad for a system using speakers recommended here on ASR.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I have my reservations about Atmos, but the 50k figure is absurd. You can get a Focal based 7.1.4 system including processor for 12k. This would be plenty good for a small mixing room. Still too much for me, but not bad for a system using speakers recommended here on ASR.
I reckon this is probably true -- and, yes, more (indeed, far more) than I would care to spend for what's destined to be a short-lived (at least in its current incarnation) format.

Zensō

Major Contributor
Haters gonna hate… If he’s happy with stereo, why even complain about Atmos in the first place? No one is forcing him to switch sides anyway.
Critiquing a technology does not equate to hate (this is just audio after all). Do you have any substantive rebuttals to his critique?

Alice of Old Vincennes

Major Contributor
Nope. I don’t like the fact that the majors, in conjunction with big tech, are making yet another power grab (it never ends) that, if it succeeds, may very well have long term negative effects on the independent music industry. But I’m clearly barking up the wrong tree here at ASR, which is mainly populated by consumers.
Rather arrogant.

Zensō

Major Contributor
Rather arrogant.
How so? This site is clearly targeting consumers of audio gear primarily designed for listening, not creating music. In contrast, a forum like Gearspace is targeting musicians who might better relate to the issues that affect musicians. Just pointing out that fact.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Last edited:

ohnonotagain

Critiquing a technology does not equate to hate (this is just audio after all). Do you have any substantive rebuttals to his critique?
Let's get stuck in, this should be fun!
Of course, we can skip the ceiling speakers in favour of upward-firing speaker modules that sit atop our existing fronts and/or rears. These exploit ceiling bounce to cover off Atmos’s height component. But there is no universal ceiling height. The higher the ceiling, the greater the audio signal’s time delay. The greater the time delay, the later sound arrives at the ear. And then we have to ask: just how close are these phantom speakers to those of a proper Atmos system?
If only Atmos receivers could somehow compensate for this by setting the speaker distance and adding a small amount of delay to each speaker so that everything works correctly. Maybe they could even automate this process with some kind of measurement microphone? Oh wait, they do.
No matter how good Wilson’s Atmos remix – and I’m sure it’s fantastic – having to wire in an additional eight loudspeakers (seven if I’m already running a subwoofer) just to enjoy one album in an alternative version is – I’m sure you would agree – madness.
A good helping of reductio ad absurdum here, conveniently ignoring those who already have a 5.1 setup and for whom the Atmos experience just needs a couple of extra speakers and a new receiver. Just as I'm sure Darko has listened to more than one album on whatever two-channel setup he has, the suggestion that we should judge Atmos on the merit of using it for a single album is ludicrous.
only the most committed of listeners would rewire their lounge room in order to access those discs’ Atmos mixes and to sit at the extreme end of hardware-first audiophilia
Conveniently excluding anyone who likes films again.
Their newly installed Dolby Atmos system would only be good for a dozen albums
Pure Audio Recordings has 99 Atmos albums listed. Fortunately, an Atmos setup can also be used to play many other forms of recordings, so if Darko is complaining about the effort of moving from a 2.0 setup to Atmos, he really ought to take into account the thousands of multichannel SACD, DVD-A and other recordings out there.
If we hunt and peck for Atmos-loaded Blu-ray discs out on the Internet – beyond the scope of the SDE store –
Someone better tell this guy about Amazon.
Any Spatial Audio equivalent offered by Apple Music, or the 360 Reality Audio served up by Tidal, will be heavily compressed with a lossy codec.
How about double-blind testing whether this is an issue, and if so, how severe it is? Maybe even compressed Atmos delivers enough of an experience to be worth it compared to stereo.
Now we must ask: how close does a headphone’s binaural take on Dolby Atmos get to the same album played back via a properly configured 7.1.2 speaker system in a room? And therefore: is it really Atmos? Flipping that question on its head, if Apple Music’s Spatial Audio is just as good as in-room Atmos, why bother with speakers?
No; yes; and since the answer to the first question is no, this question is moot, but anyway: how about listening to music with other people? Ever got tired of wearing headphones?
In an ironic twist, any headphone-based binaural conversion is, by definition, not as the artist (or remixer) intended.
This could be said of any setup and any album. Of course headphones are going to be an approximation, and the engineers at Apple or wherever will have done a lot of work to figure out the best way to represent all those channels in headphones.
Soundbar manufacturers want us to believe that a tube containing a multitude of drivers, a sub and a pair of wireless rear channels can approximate 7.1.2... If faking ceiling and wall speakers with reflected sound works as effectively as many manufacturers claim, why bother with real ceiling and wall speakers?
Darko begs the question and then ignores the answer he's already given.
My own experience with the €900 Sonos ARC was a major disappointment. Listening from my couch, I was here and the sound was over there. Worse: the ARC’s clipped the beginning of each song as I skipped through an Apple Music Spatial Audio playlist, presumably because its decoder needs half a second to wake up. It couldn’t even do gapless playback with Apple Music Spatial content.
Well, there's a bunch of criticisms about a bad implementation of one product, but those specific complaints don't mean there's anything wrong with the concept.
Per previous attempts at elevating format quality, Dolby Atmos is, once again, asking us to re-buy our favourite albums dressed up once again as The Next Best Thing™.
This is a story as old as time. People complained about re-buying their vinyl albums when CDs came out. Fortunately, nobody's forcing you, and you can choose to invest in the albums that are made for Atmos instead.
The Next Best Thing™ of yesteryear – SACD, DVD-A, DSD and MQA – all demanded that we buy our albums again and new hardware to play them. Where are those formats now?
On my CD rack, playable on the same system that plays Atmos. Just because they stop producing the discs doesn't mean you have to stop listening to them.
In 2023, we have to make peace with immersive audio streaming being lossy. And I have to wonder how many bleeding-edge audiophiles already titillated by Atmos will be down with that
Those who aren't can go and buy discs. Everyone wins.
Dolby Atmos playback at home is the epitome of inconvenience: it forces us into a multi-channel array of loudspeakers
Yes, being held at gunpoint while upgrading my living room was an experience I don't want to go through again, that's for sure.
I’m not into audio to improve the sound of a hundred or so albums. I’m interested in audio tech that will improve the sound of – or access to – an entire music collection.
Move the goalposts and miss out then. I wouldn't want every film ever made to be remade in 3D but it's still fun to watch a film in 3D every now and then.
for this listener, the juice just isn’t worth the squeeze.
(emphasis mine) At last, a reasonable point, albeit tacked on to an incorrect statement. Atmos isn't for everyone, and it doesn't deliver a perfect experience in all environments. Expecting it to be either of those things is unreasonable.

Criticising Atmos because it's a platform that gives something both to the serious listener willing to invest time, money and effort in setting up their system and the casual listener who just wants to stream something to their soundbar or headphones doesn't really make sense. Whatever setup anyone chooses will compromise on something, but that's true of all products ever made.

Sequitur

Here's another good take on Atmos from an engineer's perspective.

We have a 5.1 system we like for the TV. But I like quality wired headphones plugged into the receiver even better, as everything is so clear, especially dialogue. We are never, ever going more than 5 speakers + sub in any room (and we do have the space for Atmos ). Atmos is totally dead to us, we are all about headphones for nearly everything (open-back and noise-cancelling).

iGude

This is not mentioned here (and this is true for all Atmos-skeptical videos that I have seen so far):

Stereo has several inherent and known flaws - for example it is unable to reproduce the spaciousness and envelopment of large recording venues such as concert halls - and virtually all of these flaws can be solved by multichannel sound reproduction.

I didn’t decide for Atmos because of Dolby’s clever marketing but because stereo is simply not enough.

IPunchCholla

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is not mentioned here (and this is true for all Atmos-skeptical videos that I have seen so far):

Stereo has several inherent and known flaws - for example it is unable to reproduce the spaciousness and envelopment of large recording venues such as concert halls - and virtually all of these flaws can be solved by multichannel sound reproduction.

I didn’t decide for Atmos because of Dolby’s clever marketing but because stereo is simply not enough.
Stereo can create envelopment, you just have to play it, very, very loud usually. The last two live shows I went to both had massive envelopment. One was outside at a large amphitheater and we were in the grass seats quite a ways from the stage. The other was a small venue with concrete walls and floor. In both cases, were were listening in stereo. It was electronically produced music and we were hearing it from the massive line arrays in the first case and smaller line arrays in the second. So in either case electronically produced sound from what amounts to two speakers. Stereo. I have replicated this at home (for short durations).

But yeah, usually no envelopment And I would like envelopment at reasonable SPL.

My issue with Atmos from a consumer end is that when I set up a 5.1 system, I didn’t get envelopment. I got the equivalent of early 3D movie parlor tricks: sounds being placed dimensionally without thought or care. To the extent that it was annoying and distracting. I recognize that those might have been bad mixes, or more likely, I simply couldn’t set up the system in the space I had to a sufficient degree to be able to correctly have the sound. I don’t accept user error. For one, I like to futz and I futzed this like crazy. Number two, I follow directions very, very well. Number three, as an artist, I have set up several large scale sound and video installations commissioned by museums, galleries, and cities that are very non-traditional, but did produce the sound I was looking for. Anyway, whether it is space or bad mixes, neither is very re-assuring about going to Atmos, given the outlay and effort.

Zensō

Major Contributor
My issue with Atmos from a consumer end is that when I set up a 5.1 system, I didn’t get envelopment. I got the equivalent of early 3D movie parlor tricks: sounds being placed dimensionally without thought or care. To the extent that it was annoying and distracting.
This is one of the big challenges and questions around surround for music; what do you put in the rear and height speakers? It’s pretty obvious for movies, but for most conventional music (recorded human performances, not experimental electronic) it’s unclear. It’s difficult to add something of value that doesn’t draw attention. Perhaps this will improve as engineers gain more experience.

OP
Jeromeof

Jeromeof

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I found this new video from Audio University very interesting - basically an interview with Professor Thomas Görne about the future of surround sound audio (though the professor's background is film based):

Top Bottom