• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec W371A + The Ones : My quest for the Grail is over

YSC

Major Contributor
I’m actually okay with taking out the 4 screws to take the electronics out. USA is a vast country and it’s hard to get a tech out. It makes sense for a city-state like Hong Kong or Singapore. In fact the dealer in Singapore I bought my 8010s from also does the tech support I believe for Singapore. I went straight to their office and bought them. They can easily take a train and be anywhere in Singapore and the same applies to Hong Kong.

My issue is the no advance replacement on parts. That’s an uptime issue which would be be more severe for professionals.

However I do agree with what you’re saying. They are targeting consumers who are not professionals. I can appreciate some people don’t want to disassemble the product.

However in this case it’s pretty well designed. 4 screws each plus 3 cable connectors.

I’m just wondering if later it turns out I have to replace drivers how that will go. I’m ready to do it but they should also be ready to advance the parts. They can’t have it both ways. Customer self repair and also no advancement of the part in question. If you don’t want to ship me the part then have a tech come with it.

I would even have a fun time looking inside these.
yea completely got that, maybe it's also cultural difference on warranty, in most Asia locations, when user dismental the unit, even under CS request, it's basically voiding the warranty, whenever the product ended up needing to send in as whole for repair, they would find "evidence of user mishap" during the dismental process and send you a huge bill for repair. So the warranty usually comes in either sending the technician to the user's place to diagnosis and take the bad part for repair (it also saves time, can't imagine myself without proper gear to pick out all bad components and happen to send back for replacement in a single go), or the replacement unit is sent directly upon request, where the deliver crew will help taking your old gear and send back to the vendor for their investigation as long as they like.

dshreter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I’ve had them for a few weeks and the fault (left rear failed) developed in about 2 weeks. Suddenly.
What is the fault that developed? The driver became totally inactive? It’s making noise?

Bixet

I had an issue on one of my 8030c when they were delivered. The dealer told me it was the first time that he ever heard of a default on a brand new Genelec. Anyway he ended replacing it with another new unit.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What is the fault that developed? The driver became totally inactive? It’s making noise?
Multiple.

First sign is the left w371 suddenly flashing orange lights so I decided to stop. Move them closer now to 2m rather than 3m. Then calibrated.

Then I noticed only the left one flashing lights. I also saw the meter in GLM showing that one keeps going higher than the right w371.

Then I did some tests and discovered the left rear woofer failed (probably the amp) btw during disassembly yesterday that bottom amp was not hot.

Then having started to use the test controls I tested each driver one by one.

Right front distorts pretty badly well before the orange light comes on perhaps even -6dB. Hard to tell as it music is dynamic. The left one is better. It distorts maybe -1 or -2 dB before the light comes on.

Definitely I have noticed differences in recording techniques over the years. Each decade added true low bass. However around 2004 when the iPod craze started everyone was targeting for headphones. That brought a whole world of real bass into the picture.

One easy test if you have a pair is to solo each driver and play “magic” by Coldplay. That bassline is beautiful.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I had an issue on one of my 8030c when they were delivered. The dealer told me it was the first time that he ever heard of a default on a brand new Genelec. Anyway he ended replacing it with another new unit.
Maybe I should have contacted my dealer. He would have gone to bat for me.

Also I do think it’s rare that something happens to these. That’s why they have an incredulous reaction when they hear about it.

First question is “are you holding it correctly?”

Sorry wrong company.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Anyway I figured folks would like photos of what’s inside.

So 8350A revision F. Interesting. You can see the tested sticker.

If I had to bet it seems the rear woofer is probably straight out of a 7370. The front woofer is the entire reason it costs what it does.

Attachments

• E139571C-230E-4145-9F42-6B8DA2C908B9.jpeg
    E139571C-230E-4145-9F42-6B8DA2C908B9.jpeg
    328.5 KB · Views: 152
  • D5113DE3-280C-4818-B66C-4BBF47040206.jpeg
    D5113DE3-280C-4818-B66C-4BBF47040206.jpeg
    323.5 KB · Views: 152
  • E31C777F-7126-4F5A-B322-D3A46DDB74AC.jpeg
    E31C777F-7126-4F5A-B322-D3A46DDB74AC.jpeg
    171.8 KB · Views: 152
  • D2DBB971-2100-46F7-9098-D7D5A84AE332.jpeg
    D2DBB971-2100-46F7-9098-D7D5A84AE332.jpeg
    242.3 KB · Views: 153
  • 5935C98C-D30F-4392-8410-9D276508622F.jpeg
    5935C98C-D30F-4392-8410-9D276508622F.jpeg
    204.7 KB · Views: 155
  • CDFB2714-C924-4FBF-B1A2-78747A185D07.jpeg
    CDFB2714-C924-4FBF-B1A2-78747A185D07.jpeg
    193.6 KB · Views: 155
  • 2A98D7B7-3567-440D-A576-5B9FDDC57704.jpeg
    2A98D7B7-3567-440D-A576-5B9FDDC57704.jpeg
    185.1 KB · Views: 159

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Even the most expensive components can fail, as you say it is how the issue is dealt with, I hope you you have a satisfactory solution asap.
Keith
Yes it seems they are taking this more seriously. I was sent a box filled with bubble wrap. Nice of them. I wonder how many videos I will need to send for them to take the front woofers seriously.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That is an absolute nightmare,I really hope it will come to a happy end soon even if the experience is bitter as it shouldn't be (music is for fun,not anxiety and stress,that's the opposite).
Sometimes I 'm thinking about the (justified) grief we give to the so called "hiend" companies but on the other hand my experience with them (for me and much more for other friends) is that in case of failure they send someone the same day to deliver (he packed them also) and deliver after 4-5 days the same way.

I suppose the extra price goes for stuff like this and I don't expect every company does that.
If I were you I would go for full refund and look elsewhere terrified by the thought I would have to go through that again in the future.
Nothing is more precious than peace of mind.
Yes looking at it all the margins on this are something else. However that front woofer is only game in the world for that purpose.

When things go wrong they need to accept the mistake and forgo their margin on the one unit. Even if they send a tech with a new unit and to pack and ship the old one back they are still ahead. Especially with the price hike and the USD/EUR rate and the high markup for USA customers.

I have some doubts about the front woofer. The 8351a (8260) coaxial driver was a worlds first and an incredible design but deep down they knew about the output limitations.

SPECULATION:

I feel something similar about this driver. I hope i’m wrong.

aland

Right front distorts pretty badly well before the orange light comes on perhaps even -6dB. Hard to tell as it music is dynamic. The left one is better. It distorts maybe -1 or -2 dB before the light comes on.
"-1db or -2db" you mean from max output in GLM?
Edit: ok, now I read that it was before orange light, not max

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
"-1db or -2db" you mean from max output in GLM?
Let’s say away from a transient flashing the orange light. Not constant light but rather a beat or something causing it to flash.

I can understand if it starts with the light but not before.

To clarify it will happen even before the light flashes. On the right unit, as you have seen, it will happen well before the light comes on.

On something like “magic” it will make that distorted noise even without any hint of coming close to the light coming on.

aland

Let’s say away from a transient flashing the orange light. Not constant light but rather a beat or something causing it to flash.

I can understand if it starts with the light but not before.

To clarify it will happen even before the light flashes. On the right unit, as you have seen, it will happen well before the light comes on.

On something like “magic” it will make that distorted noise even without any hint of coming close to the light coming on.
This can for sure depend on the recording or output signal. Difficult to say much you are torturing the speakers, how loud is your setting in GLM volume when this happens, what is your input signal. Analog or digital? If analog, what source and what gain? I'm not going to mute different drivers in my speakers and turn up the volume to some serious levels to check for warning lights. Of course if this is happening on normal listening volumes I would check it but no way by blasting one single driver to wait for distortion of led-blinking.
For sure the speakers are not working anymore. Just trying to get a picture what you did to get this distortion from the driver.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This can for sure depend on the recording or output signal. Difficult to say much you are torturing the speakers, how loud is your setting in GLM volume when this happens, what is your input signal. Analog or digital? If analog, what source and what gain? I'm not going to mute different drivers in my speakers and turn up the volume to some serious levels to check for warning lights. Of course if this is happening on normal listening volumes I would check it but no way by blasting one single driver to wait for distortion of led-blinking.
For sure the speakers are not working anymore. Just trying to get a picture what you did to get this distortion from the driver.
Yeah I bought these to torture them. Same vibe I got from Genelec. Did you even test yours yet? Or you going on blind faith?

aland

Yeah I bought these to torture them. Same vibe I got from Genelec. Did you even test yours yet? Or you going on blind faith?
Ok...

No I did not test them the way you are testing them, no need for that. Mine are working.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ok...

No I did not test them the way you are testing them, no need for that. Mine are working.
Sure until you realize. I can understand. Sometimes better not to know. I wish I didn’t know. But now it cannot be unheard.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
To answer the questions.

Digital

You will hear it well before any lights come on.

Soloing a driver is provided for in GLM it does not send extra output to any driver just what it normally plays. Of course the other drivers do a great job of covering up the clearly audible distortion.

Anyone with a set is welcome to test them. Anyone with an open mind.

aland

To answer the questions.

Digital

You will hear it well before any lights come on.

Soloing a driver is provided for in GLM it does not send extra output to any driver just what it normally plays. Of course the other drivers do a great job of covering up the clearly audible distortion.

Anyone with a set is welcome to test them. Anyone with an open mind.
Yes I know GLM quite well and also understand how active loudspeakers are working. How loud was your setting in GLM when this occurs?

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes I know GLM quite well and also understand how active loudspeakers are working. How loud was your setting in GLM when this occurs?
Something like -16dB in the volume control.

Very very far from maximum.

Top Bottom