• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

FM, any listeners left?

Gorgonzola

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Magnum Dynalab FT 101 tuner, B&K Pro 10 MC pre headphone output, HE 400i phones.
91.3 WLRN Miami Evening Jazz program. 14 LP's and 22 CD's source tonight.
Sonic bliss! Musical heaven!
I try and try but I can't find this honey in the ears from streaming.
Am I the last dinosaur???
Yes, my wife and I listen everyday for a couple of hours at least on our bedroom system consisting of an ancient NAD 7130 receiver. Our favourite stations are CBC Radio One and CBC Radio 2.

In my main stereo system I listen several times a week using my about as ancient Denon FU767 tuner, pretty much entirely to CBC Radio 2.

Pic_fr_hifiengine.jpg

790-FullFront.jpg

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Yes, my wife and I listen everyday for a couple of hours at least on our bedroom system consisting of an ancient NAD 7130 receiver. Our favourite stations are CBC Radio One and CBC Radio 2.

In my main stereo system I listen several times a week using my about as ancient Denon FU767 tuner, pretty much entirely to CBC Radio 2.

View attachment 227327
View attachment 227328
Your idea of ancient is... rather different than mine. ;)

DonR

Major Contributor
I have a Sony XDR-S3HD radio that I still listen to. Excellent selectivity and sensitivity on either analog or digital FM.

600_OHM

I'm not laughing at the Radiowow R-108 - as long as one listens with headphones, or uses that headphone output to feed an amp. I'm concentrating on analog FM use.

I related to it pretty quickly, because I'm a fan of the CCrane Skywave portable that blew my mind which is made in the same factory.

In fact, RadioJayallen has a pretty interesting review of it:

The DSP chip used for the analog reception (usually from Silicon Labs) - makes these thing unreal in sensitivity and selectivity on just a puny whip.

So I'm not laughing. My CCrane Skywave will never be as cool as my old beloved Sansui, but totally smokes it in performance.

Again - as long as you listen with headphones, or use it with an amp - and of course the station itself can't be total compressed garbage. That's what's ironic - the DSP chip really exposes a station with poor quality, but the good stations who actually care about their signal - if you can find them - are superb. The "transparency" of using a SiLabs DSP chip as compared to old analog demods is astounding.

Just put a towel over it when your vintage buddies come over!

Last edited:

DanielT

Major Contributor
But people throw away old tuners and even (maybe working/easily repairable) receivers:

Did you know this:

FM radio transition to DAB

As of 2021, Norway is the only country so far to have switched off FM radio in favour of DAB (for national broadcasters). Since then, Switzerland is currently the only country to have confirmed plans for a switch, targeting a date of 2023.[21]

Norway

Norway was the first country to announce a complete switch-off of national FM radio stations. The switch-off started on 11 January 2017 and ended on 13 December 2017.[22][23] The 2017 switch-off did not affect some local and regional radio stations. They can continue to transmit on FM until 2027.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 50971

But people throw away old tuners and even (maybe working/easily repairable) receivers:

Did you know this:

As of 2021, Norway is the only country so far to have switched off FM radio in favour of DAB (for national broadcasters). Since then, Switzerland is currently the only country to have confirmed plans for a switch, targeting a date of 2023.[21]

Norway

Norway was the first country to announce a complete switch-off of national FM radio stations. The switch-off started on 11 January 2017 and ended on 13 December 2017.[22][23] The 2017 switch-off did not affect some local and regional radio stations. They can continue to transmit on FM until 2027.
Interesting

storing

Forum Donor
I would still love the own one of those, but prices have got pretty insane.
Oops, last year I gave away a working (could use some component upgrades judging by its sound though) 2238B for the symbolic price of 50eur, because I wanted it picked up i.e. minimum hassle for me. Lovely machine, looks pretty much exactly the same as the one in the video. I still have a tuner-only Marantz to satisfy the need to look at that pretty shade of blue :)

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor

Did you know this:

Norway

My "collection" heavily leverages the provenance of the much-beloved New England tradition of the "Yankee Swap" pile at our (small) town dumps (or, more typically nowadays, "transfer stations"). The notion of freecycling has a long, long history in New England. :)

N.B. This is a good deal more socially acceptable than dumpster diving in many hamlets in New England to this day. Indeed, the town dump on Saturday mornings is often the social & political center of the town, as it was in Harvard, MA when we lived there (and, presumably, still is).

DanielT

Major Contributor
My "collection" heavily leverages the provenance of the much-beloved New England tradition of the "Yankee Swap" pile at our (small) town dumps (or, more typically nowadays, "transfer stations"). The notion of freecycling has a long, long history in New England. :)

N.B. This is a good deal more socially acceptable than dumpster diving in many hamlets in New England to this day. Indeed, the town dump on Saturday mornings is often the social & political center of the town, as it was in Harvard, MA when we lived there (and, presumably, still is).
More people looking for things::D

Screenshot_2022-08-29_181425.jpg

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Oh, I am a thing-finderer, all righty.
Our son and, interestingly enough, also our son-in-law, are also rather adept and dedicated thing-finderers, too.
I have rather mixed feelings about this, as one might expect. :rolleyes:

Our daughter & son-in-law live in a town (about a half-hour from ours) with a swap pile at their town dump*. My wife & daughter try to dissuade him and me from going there on weekend afternoons if the opportunity presents itself. :)

Truth be told, I've only picked up a couple of e-things from their dump, but one of them I have in nearly daily use here (at least in the warm weather).
On topic for this thread, I do use its on-board FM radio, too! :cool:

1661793122762.jpeg

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I do wish we had anything like this in the UK. We have Jumble Sales, which are almost always tatty clothes, and we have charity shops, which rarely take electrical items. We do have Freecycle, and I've used that quite a bit as I got quite a lot of decent HiFi that way, (Samson power amp, Yamaha CR1000 receiver, Rotel receiver, Celestion Ditton 44s, Leak Stereo 30 + and FM tuner, Strathearn turntable) but when I tried to offer stuff to others, got a lot of people arranging to collect, but then never turned up.

I love getting free stuff, working or not, then making it work to spec and offering it back.

S.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Yamaha CR-1000... nice. :)

Good tuner in the CR-1000, too.
See, I am staunchly on-topic! ;)

I didn't get my CR-1000 from the dump. Paid real money for a restored example, because I thought I should have one. It is so weird. ;)
On one hand, it cleaves to the very elegant Yamaha aesthetic of that otherwise rather inelegant era. On the other hand, it's full-on disco with the toggles and sliders! :cool:

1661793894410.jpeg

DonR

Major Contributor
I'm not laughing at the Radiowow R-108 - as long as one listens with headphones, or uses that headphone output to feed an amp. I'm concentrating on analog FM use.

I related to it pretty quickly, because I'm a fan of the CCrane Skywave portable that blew my mind which is made in the same factory.

In fact, RadioJayallen has a pretty interesting review of it:

The DSP chip used for the analog reception (usually from Silicon Labs) - makes these thing unreal in sensitivity and selectivity on just a puny whip.

So I'm not laughing. My CCrane Skywave will never be as cool as my old beloved Sansui, but totally smokes it in performance.

Again - as long as you listen with headphones, or use it with an amp - and of course the station itself can't be total compressed garbage. That's what's ironic - the DSP chip really exposes a station with poor quality, but the good stations who actually care about their signal - if you can find them - are superb. The "transparency" of using a SiLabs DSP chip as compared to old analog demods is astounding.

Just put a towel over it when your vintage buddies come over!
It really is amazing what the new digital tuners have done for analog reception. My Sony tabletop radio can pull in stations that even the most highly prized tuners from the heyday of FM in the 70's could hope for. Just too bad it came as FM started to die out.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Did I tell all y'all my story about a Samsung HD (ahem, that's "hybrid digital") FM tuner?
For a variety of reasons, I wanted an HD-capable component tuner, and one came up for sale at a reasonable price, so I bought it.
Turned out it had an "issue". It would work perfectly for a few minutes, then it would lose the HD signal, switch back to the analog MPX signal, and then that would kind of slowly fade away too. I had it for a year or two and would periodically try to troubleshoot it. Seemed like some component was 'breaking down' as it (literally) warmed up. A tailor-made opportunity to troubleshoot with a good ol' can of (non-ozone depleting) "circuit chiller".

Long story short, I finally decided to check for a loose connection inside. I reseated the various and sundry ribbon connectors inside (not that any seemed awry) and... you betcha! It's worked great ever since.

7mn2zkra6gvx.jpg

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
I still do it from time to time on my R-N402D Yamaha which has a deacent tuner all do I mostly switched to Internet radio when I listen to it in the first place nowadays. There are still some good contents and local news of course, sadly lot less than I know to do it in the past.
Screenshot_20220829-195257.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom