• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

First time using a DAC - sounded like sh1te

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The speakers will play at lower volume through RCA than USB since you're bypassing the internal DAC on the speaker. You need to match volume manually on the speaker lower for USB , higher for RCA or adjust volume on the computer. I don't see a sensitivity setting for analog on the speaker. I would set max or fixed volume from computer with volume at lowest setting on the speaker then adjust on the speaker till SPL can be level matched as close as possible. The Topping dac isn't going to change the sound unless it's faulty.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
i'm not going to shit on people's gear but i think we would all agree that in many cases using the manfuacturers' equipment AS THEY SPECIFY gives the best results given they know how to get th best out of their own OEM kit

eg.

• Built-In 15W per Channel Amplifiers.
  • 2-Way, 2-Channel, Bass-Reflex Design.
  • 2.75" Kevlar Woofer.
  • 0.75" Silk Dome Tweeter.
  • 65 Hz to 22 kHz Frequency Response.
  • Bluetooth with aptX HD Connectivity.
  • Stereo RCA, 1/8", micro-USB Inputs
  • 2.75" Kevlar Woofer.

My contention will be that to this dac you dont feed it with this amp given it has its own limitations that Audioengine is best to overcome.

Like I rubbed my eyes at the 2.75" woofer... WOOFER??? can you say that about a 2.75" unit?

OP
B

BigMiIke

i'm not going to shit on people's gear but i think we would all agree that in many cases using the manfuacturers' equipment AS THEY SPECIFY gives the best results given they know how to get th best out of their own OEM kit

eg.

• 2.75" Kevlar Woofer.
  • 2.75" Kevlar Woofer.

My contention will be that to this dac you dont feed it with this amp given it has its own limitations that Audioengine is best to overcome.

Like I rubbed my eyes at the 2.75" woofer... WOOFER??? can you say that about a 2.75" unit?
These are just a simple set of nearfield speakers that look nice on the desk and actually pump real nice clean sound at a surprising level.
I used the DAC to get 192 out of the Mac - Apple Music.

jkorten

Dumb question, depending on the player being used. Is the volume setting on the player at 100%? Is the "soundcard" set to no volume control on the output so that the DAC is receiving the full dynamic range?

OP
B

BigMiIke

Dumb question, depending on the player being used. Is the volume setting on the player at 100%? Is the "soundcard" set to no volume control on the output so that the DAC is receiving the full dynamic range?
I’m not sure how I would look at Soundcard settings

Top Bottom