• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Finally, music we can buy in 768 khz sampling rates.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I vote for Dr. Who’s sonic screwdriver. This event was so profound that he just could not miss it.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
I had a Studer A77 Mk II with 15 ips capability. It had been refurbed just before I got it around 1990. Very similar to the A80 actually. Spec'd at SN of 66 db which I thought odd. My measures of it ( I didn't have as good a way then as now of measuring such) were around the 60 db mark.
Tape machine signal to noise specs have always been "cheated" in that they are taken at the 3% THD point, which is usually about 6dB above the nominal operating point of 185nWb/m or other nominal operating points dictated by the ability of the tape. You then add +4dB for the nominal output level of the machine (or whatever level the machine uses above 0dBm) to the added 6dB which comes out to 10dB added to the measured noise from the machine. So a 55dB measured machine would be advertised as a 65dB signal to noise ratio machine.

Pretty slimy overall, but that's the way its always been done from the first professional Ampexes.

Screenshot 2022-01-03 at 07-48-47 Ampex 354 Manual (Page 58 of 76) ManualsLib.png

Last edited:

Sound Liaison

They are clearly deaf, otherwise they would have spotted the 150 kHz sound and fixed it in mastering :facepalm:. How can you not hear this…;)
I don't know if I will be able to answer all of you but I'll try to look at this thread now and then in my spare time.
Our hearing was fine last time we checked:).
At such a high sample rate editing is not possible , at least I am not aware of any software that can do so, so it was not possible to "fix'' the 150kHz peak generated somewhere in the analog chain , probably the Studer. It's a straight one to one copy from the tape.
If you do "voodooless'' please let us know.
We have made one track available for free purely as a service.

OP
Blumlein 88

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't know if I will be able to answer all of you but I'll try to look at this thread now and then in my spare time.
At such a high sample rate editing is not possible , at least I am not aware of any software that can do so, so it was not possible to "fix'' the 150kHz peak generated somewhere in the analog chain , probably the Studer. It's a straight one to one copy from the tape.
Does 768 kHz give you anything you cannot get with DXD given a tape source?

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Adobe Audition opens the file just fine and let's me do a notch filter at 150 kHz without problems:
1641227505296.png

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
@Sound Liaison , would you permit to publish a redbook downsample so people can actually compare your version to an inferior version, like with an ABX tool?

Sound Liaison

Adobe Audition opens the file just fine and let's me do a notch filter at 150 kHz without problems:
View attachment 176415
Sure we could do this kind of edit but now we have a ''hole' instead of a peak. I should like to have the possibillity to smooth out the peak so we would have a straight line.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Sure we could do this kind of edit but now we have a ''hole' instead of a peak. I should like to have the possibillity to smooth out the peak so we would have a straight line.
Sure, just tweak the gain until it’s okay.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a better idea, low-pass it at 40 kHz or so, thus getting rid of all that useless noise. Then you could also drop the sample rate to 96 kHz and save lots of space.
What is wrong with a low pass at 20kHz and 44.1k samples?

Sound Liaison

Does 768 kHz give you anything you cannot get with DXD given a tape source?
I have the impression that it's a bit rounder. It seems to be a bit closer to the sound straight from the Studer. It is a very slight improvement.
We still have to see if we will continue having such big files on sale in the future as the cost of having such big files ready in the cloud could be a bit too heavy. But that is also the reason we have asked for feedback from our listeners, which so far have been very possitive.

Sound Liaison

Sound Liaison

What is wrong with a low pass at 20kHz and 44.1k samples?
Nothing wrong with 16/44.1 if you like it better. The Redbook CD version and 44.1 download will be available at

Carmen Gomes Inc's BandCamp website .

there you can buy all the albums she has recorded for our label in CD or mp3 format. It's a great way to support her directly in these trying times.
All procedings at BandCamp goes straight to the artist.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a better idea, low-pass it at 40 kHz or so, thus getting rid of all that useless noise. Then you could also drop the sample rate to 96 kHz and save lots of space.
Why stop there? Make it a 20/48 can call it a day… hell, I proposed to ABX with 16/44.1 ;)

I guess we could make the appropriate samples from the source file and offer them for ABX. It doesn’t need to be the complete file, 20 to 30 seconds should be plenty. We probably would not need permission from the label/artist, since for research this would fall under fair use. But alway better to ask first anyway :). Also the mods might have something to say about that as well, so @BDWoody?

Last edited:

Sound Liaison

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Nothing at all, though that would lose some non-noise content. Not that the difference would be audible.
Aye! My dog** might not appreciate it as much.

** If I had a dog. :cool:

Top Bottom