• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Finally, music we can buy in 768 khz sampling rates.

Robin L

Master Contributor
Remember, any machine is a smoke machine if used wrong enough.
"Where there's smoke, there's a smoke making machine."
Firesign Theater

radix

Major Contributor
Yes, proper 768 khz music. From Sound Liason which does make very high quality recordings. I'm not aware of commercial offerings at this rate before though maybe I just missed a few. Alas it is only 24 bit instead of proper 32 bit recording.

You can download a free sample track which clocks in just under a gigabyte in size. Pleased to see if you've purchased it at a lower rez, they offer to deduct the cost of that from buying again in the higher rez format. Of course they are transcribing the master tapes from their Studer A80 RTR.

Here is a quote from a promotional email as I'm on their mailing list.

Ray! in 768kHz
The RME company is highly regarded by audio professionals.

Before we started working with Merging, RME was our converter of choice. So when we got offered to test the RME ADI-2 FS, a compact 2-channel AD/DA converter we gladly approved.

The first comparison with our Merging Anubis was immediately positive. Lots of definition, a beautiful soundstage with perfect placement. And after powering it with the Ferrum Hypsos external power supply, a sense of calm and control was added to the experience. This is clearly a serious converter. The RME has a maximum sample rate of 768kHz. To really see what the RME ADI-2 is capable off, we created a 768kHz/24bit file straight from our Studer A80 tape recorder playing the ¼" reel to reel master tape from our latest release.

Listening and A/B comparing with the Studer the result is quite convincing. In our opinion the sound is very close to the analog master tape.
We would like to share the results with you.

Therefore we have made one 768kHz track from the album available for free for a limited time period.
The only favor we ask in return, is that you give us a bit of feedback; Is this a way forward?

Do you also hear an even greater sense of realism compared to the lower formats or are you perfectly happy with the formats you have been using so far?
For anyone who would like to purchase the entire album in 768kHz but has already purchased the album in a lower resolution in the past week, the price difference will be refunded. Send us an email and you will receive a refund within a few days.

Happy New Year and best wishes!
The Sound Liaison team; Frans & Peter

How did they get 768 kHz out of an ADI-2 FS? I thought this was a 192 kHz device.

EDIT: Ah, I think they meant ADI-2 Pro FS.

Last edited:

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just what I needed to disable half the useful features on my ADI-2 DAC after it runs out DSP power! ;)

ueVLfSV.png

Luke Lemke

If I were a sales guy at this website, I'd take all of the 768 khz audio files, bump the volume by around 5db and slightly EQ the songs to a V-shaped curve. Every one would be amazed regarding the "resolution, clarity and micro details" of the songs.

levimax

Major Contributor
It would be nice if these fancy recording companies got serious about their craft and spent more time on mikes, and mike placement, and setting up the musicians for sucess rather than using a silly mix of obsolete tape machines and overkill digital sampling.

OP
Blumlein 88

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It would be nice if these fancy recording companies got serious about their craft and spent more time on mikes, and mike placement, and setting up the musicians for sucess rather than using a silly mix of obsolete tape machines and overkill digital sampling.
I think Sound Liason probably has the best or among the best microphones. Everything is top notch except going to tape. I would have thought they record digitally, but I'm not sure of their workflow.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
The sound and imaging are pretty good upon sampling the tracks, but the music reminds me of PS Audio's Octave Records with fairly good recordings of music which sounds like the non-offensive 'wallpaper music' one might hear coming from the Bose overhead speakers at your local Starbucks.

OP
Blumlein 88

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Here is a write up about how this particular recording was done.

They decided because they like the upper register glow from hitting high tape levels to go analog into their Studer A80 and use that as the basis of the DXD recording. Doesn't make any sense to me either. Plus it would have been trivial to parallel record with DXD (which perhaps they did). They mostly use the Josephson C700S stereo microphone as the main pair plus some others I take it. The Josephson is unusual in that you can choose pattern and direction of the main pickup after the fact of recording. So they of course do an analog feed right into a tape machine which makes that capability unavailable to them.

I've had Lewitt LCT640TS microphone which can do the same thing of picking patterns after the fact. It is a nifty benefit though you can let it drive you crazy if you aren't careful. A case of too many options. I sold it as I've become convinced all LDC's are colored by the physical size of the diaphragms which spoil off axis response. I've been going with SDCs more lately.

Perhaps @Sound Liaison would comment on using RTR as the basis for such high rate PCM recordings.

Last edited:

levimax

Major Contributor
Here is the spec sheet for the Studer A80... nice machine and I am sure it it more than adequate to make great recordings but 768 Khz sampling when the tape is only good to -2 dB @18 Khz ?... they just lose credibility with me and I do own some of their recordings.

Selfportrait_Contact025-1080x1792.jpg

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Here is the spec sheet for the Studer A80... nice machine and I am sure it it more than adequate to make great recordings but 768 Khz sampling when the tape is only good to -2 dB @18 Khz ?... they just lose credibility with me and I do own some of their recordings.

View attachment 176325
Frequency response specs on professional tape machines tend to be more on the conservative side. Almost any good machine can in reality get to at least 20kHz flat providing proper setup. Also, they are surely using a more modern mastering tape than the 3M 202 (which is not made anymore) in the spec sheet for these recordings. Analog tape machines have more of a problem in the low end with higher amounts of gain needed which can increase noise, and head bumps. Ironically, the faster the tape speed, the worse the low frequency response.

Still, I wouldn't record anything to analog these days.

OP
Blumlein 88

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
That was the giveaway for me. 30Hz-18kHz @15IPS and a S/N of ~61dB.
I had a Studer A77 Mk II with 15 ips capability. It had been refurbed just before I got it around 1990. Very similar to the A80 actually. Spec'd at SN of 66 db which I thought odd. My measures of it ( I didn't have as good a way then as now of measuring such) were around the 60 db mark.

My Nakamichi with Dolby C engaged was much quieter subjectively.

The fellow I got mine from had literally a small house of tapes. Some of radio broadcasts, some of local groups, some of touring bands during rehearsal sessions, and some I don't know. It would have taken years to go thru them. Another of those warnings not to become too much of a crazy audiophile. He had so many tapes, and spent so much of his spare time recording, he could never otherwise listen to any significant number of them.

Top Bottom