• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

"Female Engineer" of 1964 NASA

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Fascinating video of a look at the work of Marjorie Townsend revamping the analog weather information of a satellite to digital. Hard to miss the undertone of male superiority while trying to acknowledge her work (watch the male narrator not giving her enough space to write on the blackboard). Seems like a great engineering manager to have worked with. Sad that so few females select engineering as their profession.

Interesting bit is using an 8-track tape like mechanism to record the data in space! And use of analog to digital converters, transistor digital logic, and hybrid modules (granddaddy of today's integrated circuits).

It has less than 300 views so for a change, you will have seen something that others on the net have not. :)

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Now contrast that with the "modern female engineer" of today:

We have so few females in our industry that I am sure a lot of nerds out there worshipping her and voting her for next Miss America! :D

tomelex

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
So, the first video is all talking my language from tubes to microcircuits but the second is a somewhat newer world, the one that I am less familiar with where code is king. Interesting videos.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Indeed. embedded software is big part of being engineer today.

Second video is also representative of "maker culture " where everything becomes a module to be plugged into another. her job as an engineer is to build these simple modules. it is electronics hobby reborn.

Top Bottom