• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Fan-less silent PC

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Here's a pre-built fanless PC with some real muscle I came across.
Deserving of some serious consideration for a quiet music server or whatever.
Only $500 all in. !!!
topgro-k3-mini-pc_678x452.png
It's nice although a performance processor is ~like 6 P cores and 4 E cores. But that requires cooling and you don't want that. In my experience a notebook core setup lasts me about 5 to 7 years before they start getting slow and awkward to use.

dasdoing

Major Contributor
had to install fan control so I can trigger the fans via GPU temps also. my graphics card is passive.
fans wont start before 80 degrees

View attachment 285553

adjusted the thresholds by increasing them by 5 degrees. As a result, the fans rarely activate during "normal" usage. In fact, they haven't turned on even once in the past 47 hours.:

1684963273895.png

note that this is no special case or anything like that.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
adjusted the thresholds by increasing them by 5 degrees. As a result, the fans rarely activate during "normal" usage. In fact, they haven't turned on even once in the past 47 hours.:

View attachment 288002

note that this is no special case or anything like that.
Hmmz check this out. I run 2, 200mm blue LED fans in a clamshell with a 280mm radiator in between them and the 1, 140mm fan. and 2, 200 mm fans in the front grill too.
1.JPG

zzzzzzzzzzzz Screenshot 2023-05-24 152918.png

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Mele has now introduced the Quieter 3 HD. It upgrades the memory from 8gb single channel to 16 gb dual channel, and clocks the processor to run slightly faster. Cost $284 on Amazon with no discounts.

dasdoing

Major Contributor
Hmmz check this out. I run 2, 200mm blue LED fans in a clamshell with a 280mm radiator in between them and the 1, 140mm fan. and 2, 200 mm fans in the front grill too.
View attachment 288018
View attachment 288019

my front fans and memories came with RGP. never made any sense to me, but ended up configuring them in a light white dim and kind of like it. that was until I tried out the themal effect of that. found out my CPU would average and low a degree or so lower overnight and never turned them back on lol.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
my front fans and memories came with RGP. never made any sense to me, but ended up configuring them in a light white dim and kind of like it. that was until I tried out the themal effect of that. found out my CPU would average and low a degree or so lower overnight and never turned them back on lol.
Yeah, I don't use that RGB software. I just plug the stuff in and if it lights up I leave it and don't adjust anything. :D

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
In my experience a notebook core setup lasts me about 5 to 7 years before they start getting slow and awkward to use.
Why would that be ???

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah, I don't use that RGB software. I just plug the stuff in and if it lights up I leave it and don't adjust anything. :D

I found it quite difficult to buy components for my new build that didn't light up! I was successful, apart from the motherboard and the lighting on that is turned off in the BIOS settings :)

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I found it quite difficult to buy components for my new build that didn't light up! I was successful, apart from the motherboard and the lighting on that is turned off in the BIOS settings :)
Same here. RGB is rampant!

dasdoing

Major Contributor
Purchased the most affordable DDR4 3200 RAM, and surprisingly, it included RGB lighting. I assumed that would incur an additional cost.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
View attachment 288018
View attachment 288019

I'm too scared to run powerMAX on my Ryzen 9 7900 (even though I have the new BIOS with the limit on SOC voltage). Here's my PC running the 'stress CPU' test in CPU-Z for a few minutes...

1684967198013.png

They are not wrong about the 7000 series running hot and I have my max temp set to 90C, rather than the stock 95C.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Wow. That's toasty. They must have lotsa current through that thing.

Andysu

Major Contributor
I built one a few years ago which I still use as my Roon server. The biggest hassle was the heat pipes to carry the heat from the CPU to the heatsink. This needs to be measured and perfectly match. After some investigation, I managed to find the right setup that worked the first time. After I built it, I wonder why I ever put up with a PC with a fan! It was uncanny to have a totally silent computer. Best luck on this and recovery from leg surgery!
get a common computer pc only locate it meters away in cupboard or other use the wireless keyboard mouse , silent pc

Top Bottom